Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I guess right now you could say i'm snot nosed, because well, I have a cold right now.. But with other uses of the term I wouldn't say so. I think that you guys don't understand how much better music is when you can hear every part of it. All the highs and the lows.. You can only feel the lows, not the highs. You can't see the highs either. Speakers just don't work that way. Sure you can appreciate music, but you can never see/feel/hear all of it being deaf. Or is it Deaf? I don't know, and don't really care that much.

Interesting. I am PROFOUNDLY deaf and understood the idea of music along with solfege. I grew up laying next to electronic organ, piano, played guitars, played drums and attended orchestras. I LOVE Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 movies, understood how various music affect emotion. My favorite music is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata mvt. 3" played by harp!

I even wrote this poem -- some hearing guy said that my poem seem to match "Moonlight Sonata"

Celestial Harmony

As oceans billows by, wavering upon your shore,
You moan and your eyes closed, feeling the reverberation,
Swirling in low tune, like a piano music fading away,
Yearning inside, like harp playing long and sweet tune.

You are swaying in weakness, feeling the glow,
The song seems to come multiplying, strumming your strings,
Stroking that heavenly light, O, that you can see,
Sending waves of oceanic waters, crashing into you everywhere.

Splashing water upon dry land, hydrating your desires,
Fulfilling your long lost and fading dreams,
As waters billow by, the mist in air drifts,
They land on your face, you taste manna from heaven.

You groan, closing your eyes, feeling reverberations everywhere,
Like a piano playing intense somber theme, sending you into heaven,
Your heart beating slowly, dissipating warm blood all over,
Flowing everywhere like multiple rivers, as into delta, bleeding.

As I see tears, the tear of passion, fierce desires,
Desire that seems to sing, eternal song of universe,
The stars are everywhere in the skies, so true,
Stars in heaven seem to reach down, and bring you, up there.

Flying forever, billowing amongst the stars,
Your smile brings joy, in heavens as angels majestically sing,
Resonances that we never heard, but our hearts would understand,
Their heart, in love, at last can hear!

And even wrote a poem that RHYMES perfectly in Dactyl Tetrameter metering form (hard for even hearing people!)

What Is The Music?

What is the music, O! ‘Tis just the melody,
Instrument playing in perfect accordance?
‘Tis a vibration so complex to follow?
Searching intensely inside soul so deeply?
Beating profoundly relaxing persona,
Soothes in one’s mind? True sound and so audaciously
Vibrating its true intention with heartfelt
echoes of treble and bass so entwined, yes
that is the music and that is the melody!

Sigh .. the very reason you're not Deaf. You're coming to a Deaf forum and telling us how much we don't get music. Duh .. we're deaf. And Deaf. Your stuff is offensive it's ridiculous. I said after your first posts that I could see where you are coming from because of your immaturity - you're an 18 year old who just became deaf. Try being deaf (or Deaf) for 40 years or even a few years and then come back and try to say the same thing. And since you don't "really care that much" as you posted, I think you came here looking for attention. Since you don't seem to care that much anyway.

**nodding** Misery loves company. He just discovered that no one here is into the "poor me" syndrome and refuse to support it in others.:P

I am not aware that he's 18. ohh go figure.

I am not aware that he's 18. ohh go figure.

Cochlear Implant Patients.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically, i'm 18 as of this year and i fell off a 3 1/2 ft camera stand while at church. Because i locked my legs too long i passed out and fell onto concrete flooring. After a few weeks in the hospital I went home to find out that I can't hear and I can't walk well yet (its getting better though). And also I have a cracked left cochlea and a week left side of my face. After 3 audiologist appts. i found out my hearing wouldn't come back without a cochlear implant.

So to my question. To those with cochlear implants
How was the pain after surgery?
Did you have ringing in your ears afterwards?
Are you able to greatly understand at concerts?
How long did it take you to be able to hear again?
What do you do as far as taking showers and or swimming or getting in the ocean?
Which company do you prefer Cochlear, Advanced Bionics, or MED-EL? (we chose med el but the doctor told us we should get cochlear.)
For the musically advanced is the frequency range great or highly limited?
First post of thread. First sentence.

Bott, I know. i have already read it in the first week of dec. I have forgetten about this thread until I noticed that the numbers of posts has been continuing so i came back to the end of the posts without re read in the first post of thread. Until alleycat mentioned his age then i went back to the first post of thread and saw it as i remember now.

sorry if my post wasn't meant to annoy you if i said "oh i am not aware that he's 18".

Bott, I know. i have already read it in the first week of dec. I have forgetten about this thread until I noticed that the numbers of posts has been continuing so i came back to the end of the posts without re read in the first post of thread. Until alleycat mentioned his age then i went back to the first post of thread and saw it as i remember now.

sorry if my post wasn't meant to annoy you if i said "oh i am not aware that he's 18".

ok

When do you get to be activated and experience your new CI hearing?
I get activated next week. January 6th and 7th.

No doubt. And I know plenty of hearing people that don't have the capacity to "hear" music or to feel rhythms. In fact, most of the Deaf I know have a much more developed sense of rhythm than many hearies. It is present in their language.

You seem to be missing the point that I was one of the few who did hear music and feel rhythms. Besides your also missing the fact that most rhythm is found in the lower notes that ya'll can feel. Your still missing all the highs.

Absolutely, regarding late deafened. Unfortunately, many times they get hung up on trying to fix the wrong thing, and are forever miserable and "handicapped" because they will never, ever be able to return to what used to be. Instead of working so hard to fix hearing, they need to put some work into fixing what is going on inside themselves. That is the only way to accomplish a comfortable existence. Hearing doesn't make life better. Being comfortable with one's self and one's situation, and making progress in spite of difficulties is what brings comfort into one's life. The thread I started for late-deafened as an informal support group has plenty of examples of both.

You really must be one of those people who still write notes on stones.. I am impressed and completely confident in technology today. In the past 10 years what used to cost hundreds of dollars you can now buy for only 20 or 30 dollars. Technology is ever growing and one day they will restore the highs and lows to my hearing. They only started gearing Ci's to music as well in the past few years. It's not making me miserable or handicapped to be able to hear my family again. or to be able to listen to music again. I have nothing going on inside myself except for boredom because i can't listen to music.

Sigh .. the very reason you're not Deaf. You're coming to a Deaf forum and telling us how much we don't get music. Duh .. we're deaf. And Deaf. Your stuff is offensive it's ridiculous. I said after your first posts that I could see where you are coming from because of your immaturity - you're an 18 year old who just became deaf. Try being deaf (or Deaf) for 40 years or even a few years and then come back and try to say the same thing. And since you don't "really care that much" as you posted, I think you came here looking for attention. Since you don't seem to care that much anyway.

Being 18 does not mean your immature. I am well above your average 18 year old. I would actually consider all of you to be equally immature for arguing with an 18 y/o. Additionally I didn't come here looking for attention or sympathy, I came here looking for answers and experiences. ( You should probably see the first post incase you've forgotten! )

Again, if you see the first post or the title of the thread you'll notice I said to those with Cochlear Implants, and titled it Cochlear Implant Patients!

**nodding** Misery loves company. He just discovered that no one here is into the "poor me" syndrome and refuse to support it in others.

Shall I reiterate? I'm not here for sympathy or as you put it "poor me" syndrome. (Is that made up? I would think so!) I was and am still here simply for answers to how well people were adapting to the CI's. If I wanted to learn ASL and stay deaf, I would have done so. So much of my past, present, and future is based around hearing and specifically hearing music!

Immaturity -- look at yourselves!

I get activated next week. January 6th and 7th.

You seem to be missing the point that I was one of the few who did hear music and feel rhythms. Besides your also missing the fact that most rhythm is found in the lower notes that ya'll can feel. Your still missing all the highs.

You really must be one of those people who still write notes on stones.. I am impressed and completely confident in technology today. In the past 10 years what used to cost hundreds of dollars you can now buy for only 20 or 30 dollars. Technology is ever growing and one day they will restore the highs and lows to my hearing. They only started gearing Ci's to music as well in the past few years. It's not making me miserable or handicapped to be able to hear my family again. or to be able to listen to music again. I have nothing going on inside myself except for boredom because i can't listen to music.

Being 18 does not mean your immature. I am well above your average 18 year old. I would actually consider all of you to be equally immature for arguing with an 18 y/o. Additionally I didn't come here looking for attention or sympathy, I came here looking for answers and experiences. ( You should probably see the first post incase you've forgotten! )

Again, if you see the first post or the title of the thread you'll notice I said to those with Cochlear Implants, and titled it Cochlear Implant Patients!

Shall I reiterate? I'm not here for sympathy or as you put it "poor me" syndrome. (Is that made up? I would think so!) I was and am still here simply for answers to how well people were adapting to the CI's. If I wanted to learn ASL and stay deaf, I would have done so. So much of my past, present, and future is based around hearing and specifically hearing music!

Immaturity -- look at yourselves!

No. You're a [edited]. Coming in here and slinging things that you know nothing about.

You're deaf, cool, you want to get a ci, cool.. But coming in here with that stupid attitude of yours - from what I've seen - EVERYONE has been nice to you. But now, I am not going to give one more ounce of damn.

Want cooperation? Grow up, child.

Not entirely true. You got to have the right equipment and to be able to feel and to analyze highs. I throughly enjoy music in cello, flute, harp and all that. I love Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata Mvt. 3 via harp.

"Your still missing all the highs" assumption is incorrect.

Not entirely true. You got to have the right equipment and to be able to feel and to analyze highs. I throughly enjoy music in cello, flute, harp and all that. I love Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata Mvt. 3 via harp.

"Your still missing all the highs" assumption is incorrect.

I don't want to analyze highs. I want to be able to hear them and put them with the song. I was never big on classical music or symphonies. I was more of a punk rock kind of person..

I don't want to analyze highs. I want to be able to hear them and put them with the song. I was never big on classical music or symphonies. I was more of a punk rock kind of person..

I felt them and put with the song as well. Orchestra is my choice. Punk Rock is yours. I even wrote "Celestial Shore" poem to a point that hearing guy told me that it nearly matched "Moonlight Sonata" atmosphere.

There are also profound deaf gals and guys that wrote songs and was able to play them very well.

I felt them and put with the song as well. Orchestra is my choice. Punk Rock is yours. I even wrote "Celestial Shore" poem to a point that hearing guy told me that it nearly matched "Moonlight Sonata" atmosphere.

There are also profound deaf gals and guys that wrote songs and was able to play them very well.

To me anyone can write a song. Hearing or Deaf. Songs are mearly a way to express emotions. Writing the music to a song is different but not impossible. I would say the HoH people or people with CI's have a better advantage because they can hear the music to some degree.

I still don't see how you can feel the highs.. They are at such a high frequency that its near impossible to feel them with out some sort of special amplifier that i've never heard of..

To me anyone can write a song. Hearing or Deaf. Songs are mearly a way to express emotions. Writing the music to a song is different but not impossible. I would say the HoH people or people with CI's have a better advantage because they can hear the music to some degree.

I still don't see how you can feel the highs.. They are at such a high frequency that its near impossible to feel them with out some sort of special amplifier that i've never heard of..

It took a lot of effort in my early days. I've been to electronic piano, my sister's flute, my family tree is a musical tree, been to orchestra, sat close to the instruments and all that. TOUCHING those instruments really helped to recognize what was missing in speaker. You have to be INFUSED into those instruments to be able to recognize and to detect on speakers. I grew up that way, and it comes to me almost naturally.

It might not work for you and DO NOT ASSUME that it will not work for others, and DO not tell us OTHERWISE. If it works for you good, if it doesn't then go for alternative. Do that without criticizing us please.

Thanks.

I'll give you 10 years of being deaf, then you can come back here and say "now i can see" :)

Jillio,

I am sorry but how can you sit there and say, " we need to embrace our deafness" and stop trying to fix it? You seem to keep forgetting we are different people with different lives than those BORN deaf. If the technology was not a success in many many people's lives then I would assume that the growing number of CI user's would seem cease to keep growing. We are mainly late deafend. Because we choose to want to hear again does not simply imply that we have considerd ourselves disabled or handicapped. We are still deaf without our processor on and we accept that. We also aknowledge that. I really don't see how this is helping people accept deaf culture when you are telling us that we are wrong for our decision's. Maybe just maybe we do not want to be a part of that culture for the varying challenges that culture puts upon individuals. The deaf culture is soo nitpicky on what form of sign a person use's, if the person decides to use a device, or that the person is not deaf enough. I came here to this website to become a part of the group of people that have similer struggles in life with hearing loss not to be judged for how I percieve MY DEAFNESS. This life is mine not anyone else's. I came here for support not to argue whether I need to accept my deafness. I am sorry but you do not have the authority to tell us what we need to do to be happy. I am quite happy with my CI and my life. The CI was the best decision I could ever make for myself. I am thrilled to have something you do not have jillio.. I am deaf and I can hear. When a sound becomes to bothersome for me I can just plop off my CI and not deal with that sound unlike hearies. It truely is a wonderfull thing to be deaf.

Jillio,

I am sorry but how can you sit there and say, " we need to embrace our deafness" and stop trying to fix it? You seem to keep forgetting we are different people with different lives than those BORN deaf. If the technology was not a success in many many people's lives then I would assume that the growing number of CI user's would seem cease to keep growing. We are mainly late deafend. Because we choose to want to hear again does not simply imply that we have considerd ourselves disabled or handicapped. We are still deaf without our processor on and we accept that. We also aknowledge that. I really don't see how this is helping people accept deaf culture when you are telling us that we are wrong for our decision's. Maybe just maybe we do not want to be a part of that culture for the varying challenges that culture puts upon individuals. The deaf culture is soo nitpicky on what form of sign a person use's, if the person decides to use a device, or that the person is not deaf enough. I came here to this website to become a part of the group of people that have similer struggles in life with hearing loss not to be judged for how I percieve MY DEAFNESS. This life is mine not anyone else's. I came here for support not to argue whether I need to accept my deafness. I am sorry but you do not have the authority to tell us what we need to do to be happy. I am quite happy with my CI and my life. The CI was the best decision I could ever make for myself. I am thrilled to have something you do not have jillio.. I am deaf and I can hear. When a sound becomes to bothersome for me I can just plop off my CI and not deal with that sound unlike hearies. It truely is a wonderfull thing to be deaf.

I cherish deafness too. You have the choice. Go ahead and make the choice. We have our own opinion, you don't have to agree, just go ahead.

True you have your opinion and I have mine which is acceptable. But if you read the begining 2-3 pages of this thread. Nowhere did anyone ask for anyone's opinion. Thats what I cant seem to understand. Zee came here looking for Answers from user's themselves and people who had gone through the surgery itself. Not peoples opinion on what they think about people who get the surgery.

True you have your opinion and I have mine which is acceptable. But if you read the begining 2-3 pages of this thread. Nowhere did anyone ask for anyone's opinion. Thats what I cant seem to understand. Zee came here looking for Answers from user's themselves and people who had gone through the surgery itself. Not peoples opinion on what they think about people who get the surgery.

Yeah. They come and go. My philosophy is this: "Let ignorant be ignorant" if they expressed their opinion too harshly or not sound constructive, just let them go. Nod it off and discuss about something that is more constructive to you or others.

I would simply like to state that if you have been keeping up with what I have been saying, you'll likely notice that I cherish being able to hear, I want my hearing back, and that I have no intentions of learning ASL unless something goes terribly wrong. All of you trying to convince me otherwise should really give up.

Sure i'm unable to hear, at the moment.. But I will soon be able to hear again. I serve a God who takes care of those who fear Him, and obey His commands! If He does not want me to hear again it will not be so, but I should remind you that my God created everything, including you, and knows everything your going to do before you even do it.

Jillio,

:gpost:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back