cochlear implant opinons

In my opinion some of you in the deaf community are elitist snobs.
oldbob

Looking down my nose.

My definition of a normal life. I wanted my children to grow up and be what they wanted to be without having to make allowances for not having all their senses. There are limitations on the deaf. One that I know of is commercial driver. A deaf person cannot get a CDL. (although some hearing people shouldn't have them)

And I think Pepsi is better than coke.

I didn't lose much by not getting to be a truck driver.

Do we even want to use the telephone?

Hey! Text me!

Well my Naida IX UP's ain't hacking it for me any more. So to keep from having to join the deaf community, I'm getting an AB CI, and drinking Pepsi. I need my beauty sleep, so good night all.

Glad you won't need to join the deaf community.

There are a handful of deaf truckers burning up the Interstates from California to New York and there's some regional drivers, too.

And Coke's is better than Pepsi.

Long live Coca Cola and ASL!!!
21e8col.gif

What you said is very true and while I can lament about those who know longer post, it would be disingenuous of me if I did not accept part of the blame for taking part in that climate that helped to drive people either away or not to post as frequently as they might have like to.
:hug:

My definition of a normal life. I wanted my children to grow up and be what they wanted to be without having to make allowances for not having all their senses. There are limitations on the deaf. One that I know of is commercial driver. A deaf person cannot get a CDL. (although some hearing people shouldn't have them)

And I think Pepsi is better than coke.
We all have limitations. Nobody is less of a person for any reason. IMHO you are missing the point.

I rather have an ice cold beer any time then either a coke or a pepsi! I'm off to go watch my youngest daughter pitch her first game in college!

Oh boy..another one and people wonder why the Deaf community speaks up.

For your information, I am deaf and don't have a CI and I am a contributing citizen who feels normal.
Yes, but within the confined deaf community. And from your posts, you've been lashing out alot at the hearing people lately thus probably are also getting very little interaction with them as well...

Yes, but within the confined deaf community. And from your posts, you've been lashing out alot at the hearing people lately thus probably are also getting very little interaction with them as well...

Very Good!!

Iam married to a hearing man.

Iam lashing out against audist people especially those who treat deaf people as 2nd class citizens for not conforming to their hearing ways.

I work, own a house, pay my taxes, don't hurt people, volunteer, donate to charities, and raise my children.

Both of you are making it an personal issue.

Why would I associate with people who won't treat me as equals? I don't need to be around them. Instead I am involved with the Deaf community and if someone thinks that's awful...they are entitled to their opinion. It won't stop me.

I am married to a hearing man.

I am lashing out against audit people especially those who treat deaf people as 2nd class citizens for not conforming to their hearing ways.

I work, own a house, pay my taxes, don't hurt people, volunteer, donate to charities, and raise my children.

Both of you are making it an personal issue.

Good posting. I can very much relate! (You knew that already ;) )

Iam married to a hearing man.
You married an hearing person?

Shouldn't you have provided more support to the Deaf / ASL community and actually married one who was actually Deaf and a member of the Deaf / ASL community?

Alright, apparently he was the guy for you. And best of luck with your marriage!

Iam lashing out against audist people especially those who treat deaf people as 2nd class citizens for not conforming to their hearing ways.

Why would I associate with people who won't treat me as equals? I don't need to be around them. Instead I am involved with the Deaf community and if someone thinks that's awful...they are entitled to their opinion. It won't stop me.
You keep saying that. But exactly how are they treating you as a 2nd class citizen?

Just cause you may have some difficulty communicating with some mean they are treating you as a 2nd class citizen. Even some of the hearing people have trouble communicating with one another due to language barriers, cultural barriers, demographics, personality types, personal compatability, accents, etc.

And so do the oral deaf, hearing-impaired, hard of hearing, CI users or parents that chose not to take the Deaf / ASL route for their deaf child.

You married an hearing person?

Shouldn't you have provided more support to the Deaf / ASL community and actually married one who was actually Deaf and a member of the Deaf / ASL community?

Alright, apparently he was the guy for you. And best of luck with your marriage!

You keep saying that. But exactly how are they treating you as a 2nd class citizen?

Just cause you may have some difficulty communicating with some mean they are treating you as a 2nd class citizen. Even some of the hearing people have trouble communicating with one another due to language barriers, cultural barriers, demographics, personality types, personal compatability, accents, etc.

And so do the oral deaf, hearing-impaired, hard of hearing, CI users or parents that chose not to take the Deaf / ASL route for their deaf child.

Why I marry my hubby has nothing to do with being deaf or hearing. I dont base a relationship on things like that. I base it on love..doesnt matter what color, what culture and etc.

I have several posts in several threads sharing my experiences growing up being treated like a 2nd class citizen. Anyone who has been here as long knows what I am talking about.

When people come in here and say stuff like that other poster did implying that deafness is something to be fixed, I will say something. I know not everyone will like it but I have spent all of my life trying to make everyone happy so they could like me. No more.

Why I marry my hubby has nothing to do with being deaf or hearing. I dont base a relationship on things like that. I base it on love..doesnt matter what color, what culture and etc.

I have several posts in several threads sharing my experiences growing up being treated like a 2nd class citizen. Anyone who has been here as long knows what I am talking about.

When people come in here and say stuff like that other poster did implying that deafness is something to be fixed, I will say something. I know not everyone will like it but I have spent all of my life trying to make everyone happy so they could like me. No more.
there will always be those take a pathalogical view to deafness and those people will of course view it as something that needs to be fixed. There is nothing anyone can do about that other than education and awareness. Even then you will not convince everyone to view deafness as a cultural thing.

I know not everyone will like it but I have spent all of my life trying to make everyone happy so they could like me. No more.
Yes, cause I think there are times when some of the deaf people are concerned with what other deaf people may think... And it could be a dilemma at times.

Not really. Did you know that the CI does not mimic natural hearing. It's not like you turn on the CI and you can hear.
I think that member meant it as a slang. As in "hearie = hearing wanna be". Although I could be mistaken.

Yes, cause I think there are times when some of the deaf people are concerned with what other deaf people may think... And it could be a dilemma at times.

I never cared what other deaf people thought of me because at the time I started getting involved with Deaf culture and the community, I was getting my self-esteem rebuilt.

I grew up oral-only and mainstreamed and used to kiss hearing people's asses.

No more.

I never cared what other deaf people thought of me because at the time I started getting involved with Deaf culture and the community, I was getting my self-esteem rebuilt.

I grew up oral-only and mainstreamed and used to kiss hearing people's asses.

No more.

Now you only kiss deaf people's asses. ;) j/k !!

Yes, but within the confined deaf community.
WHAT the FUCK does this even MEAN?!?! Most dhh people who are ASL fluent also have oral skills and the abilty to get along in the hearing world. They are not confined. Only a small percentage of Deaf people are voice off, ASL only using!

Back