cochlear implant opinons

Pressure? Did I say pressure? I merely stated that doctors often present the idea of getting a CI as the best option for their deaf child, more often in the case of a very young child and its parents have never met or have no awareness of Deaf culture. Pressure? Maybe. I'd prefer to think of it as Audism in doctors showing that being deaf is not an option and their child must hear like them, and be no different from them. NO! Being deaf is ok, and your child will be succesfull! To quote I.K. Jordan, >_< "Deaf people can do anything but hear."

Being hearing with CI is ok, and your child will be succesfull!
To quote someone, >_< "CI-people can do anything but hear without their CI."

...Further, CI has not been in use long enough to determine what possible neurological consequences there may be in the future. We already know that a loss of any residual hearing is a given.

The only possible consequence at this point is that the cochlear nerve (the neurological aspect) fails "due" to a CI. There is none regarding the brain...nada, zilch, zero. There are people out there that have used them for 20 years and still going strong. If this was a "problem", believe me this would be news that would be known and could not be "squelched".

Losing residual hearing is not a given. It is most likely to occur...big difference. As Jag said already, there is a newer type of CI out there that is intended to preserve residual hearing.

I also feel strongly aganist parents putting CIs on kids unless they have a special case where the child loses hearing after a certain age and the child can make a choice. I dislike the idea of doctors telling parents the best option for their child is the get an implant, instead of showing the parents that a deaf person can be succesful and there are schools for the deaf.

What are your sources for attributing that statement to doctors? BTW can you name any doctor who has stated this? This was not the case in our experience and neither in the cases of others that I know. The doctors we consulted explained the surgical risks and our Audiologist only said that it might give her some access to sound.

That deaf people can be successful with or without a ci and that there are schools for the deaf are not medically related issues.

It's either TrippLA, bla-bla or Pacman... can't keep up with the multiple identities over there... Guess depending on the month each identity can choose a username.......
Can anyone recall all the names of pacman...

Lilly's dad is already know about me for long time...

I am not confused at all. I'm more realistic then you perhaps. I know that the world is based on spoken language and anything I might be able to do to enhance my childs spoken language would be to his or her advantage. There are going to be many times in a deaf persons life when not being able to hear is detremental. Life threatening? possible but probably very rare. I would rather give a child the chance to interact with thier FAMILY (not just imediat but extended) then to worry to much about if they are being denied a 'culture'. To me FAMILY is more important. The culture can be developed if the child feels it's necessary at a later age.

NOTE: I did not say some type of visual language should not be used, young children should have access to total communication when necessary.

VERY WELL SAID!!! Especially the Family is important part, i could'nt agree with you more:thumb:

There are dozens of other examples that I could have used and and although they require surgery, not all cleft palates are life threatening but like I said above, I am not going to argue semantics.

CIs have been around for over 20 years so your long term consequnces argument is not credible.

Actually, longitudinal studies require >20 years for validity.

But you understand now that it's not brain surgery as some of your earlier posts seem to suggest? It's a technically difficult surgery because it's microsurgery but the risks of this surgery to the patient is similar to those having other minor surgeries.

A lot of people use the same argument about longitudinal studies against IVF and many other medical procedures as well but if no one ever bit the bullet and at least tried then we would never know if they were 100% safe in the very long term or not. In many cases the problems can be tweaked once they come to light.

Personally I'm very grateful to the very first people who had CIs because they knew that it was very experimental at that stage and that the benefits of the knowledge gleaned from their experiences would largely go to those that followed after them.

If that's the case, then I stand corrected but as the implant has been around for over 20 years and these issues have not arisen even on an anecdotal basis, how valid are the concerns?

If that's the case, then I stand corrected but as the implant has been around for over 20 years and these issues have not arisen even on an anecdotal basis, how valid are the concerns?

For me, the concerns are very valid. For others, perhaps not so.

The biggest misconception is that the parents of CI children "made' the chocie for him/her....... I totally disagree with this statement......... In fact, it's these parents that are giving their children a CHOICE..... How......Well, my son was implanted at a very early age............If he decided when he was an adult (even a teenageer for that matter) that he no longer wanted to wear the device, then it's truly his choice. If I raised him to be ASL only, and then wanted the implant later on, the implant would not be as successful . Then the choice has been made for him.. Heather Artinian was on NPR radio a few days back and was asked if she regretted not getting implanted earlier...........Her response????????? Yes.......And that's a kid who was implanted at 9 years old......ulnlike her cousins, who were implanted much earlier.
What many people don't understand is that you make a choice either way you go. If you decide on an implant you have made a choice for your child. If you decide not to implant you have still made a choice for your child. Responsible parents should make choices for their children especially for profound subjects that a very young child can't even understand. I don't see a problem with it as long as the parent is making an educated choice and not a knee jerk reaction.

Wirelessly posted

rockdrummer said:
The biggest misconception is that the parents of CI children "made' the chocie for him/her....... I totally disagree with this statement......... In fact, it's these parents that are giving their children a CHOICE..... How......Well, my son was implanted at a very early age............If he decided when he was an adult (even a teenageer for that matter) that he no longer wanted to wear the device, then it's truly his choice. If I raised him to be ASL only, and then wanted the implant later on, the implant would not be as successful . Then the choice has been made for him.. Heather Artinian was on NPR radio a few days back and was asked if she regretted not getting implanted earlier...........Her response????????? Yes.......And that's a kid who was implanted at 9 years old......ulnlike her cousins, who were implanted much earlier.
What many people don't understand is that you make a choice either way you go. If you decide on an implant you have made a choice for your child. If you decide not to implant you have still made a choice for your child. Responsible parents should make choices for their children especially for profound subjects that a very young child can't even understand. I don't see a problem with it as long as the parent is making an educated choice and not a knee jerk reaction.

:gpost:

RD,

Where did you find this old thread? What a trip down memory lane :) Although it is kind of sad and unfortunate to see, 4 years later, so many good people who no longer or very rarely ever post in this forum. Re-reading it, makes me realize how much I miss Cloggy and his posts.

Take care,
Rick

RD,

Where did you find this old thread? What a trip down memory lane :) Although it is kind of sad and unfortunate to see, 4 years later, so many good people who no longer or very rarely ever post in this forum. Re-reading it, makes me realize how much I miss Cloggy and his posts.

Take care,
Rick

Finally! Something you and I can agree on. (although, I don't know why you disagreed with me in the first place....) Anyway, yes, there are people no longer here who I dearly miss. :aw:

RD,

Take care,
Rick
Came across it when doubletrouble pm'd me about something. I was checking on DT's posts and came across this and thought I would respond. Yes I agree that it's sad about many others that don't post here anymore due to some people constantly bashing them for their decisions. Even I have considered not posting here anymore because of much of what I see in the responses by some people. While it is understandable to have differing points of view, in my humble opinion too many people here don't know how to agree to disagree and move on.

I agree. If you have a child that was born with a defect like cleft pallet, would you wait until he/she was 18 to let them decide to have it repaired? No! you would have the operation as soon as possible. You are making a choice for the child to have a normal life. It is the same for hearing. If a child is born deaf, and would benefit from CI, then he/she deserves the Chance to hear normally.

Oldbob

I agree. If you have a child that was born with a defect like cleft pallet, would you wait until he/she was 18 to let them decide to have it repaired? No! you would have the operation as soon as possible. You are making a choice for the child to have a normal life. It is the same for hearing. If a child is born deaf, and would benefit from CI, then he/she deserves the Chance to hear normally.

Oldbob

So those who don't benefit from cochlear implant for whatever medical reasons can not have a normal life? Please, I do not want to keep fighting against comments like this over and over again.

Came across it when doubletrouble pm'd me about something. I was checking on DT's posts and came across this and thought I would respond. Yes I agree that it's sad about many others that don't post here anymore due to some people constantly bashing them for their decisions. Even I have considered not posting here anymore because of much of what I see in the responses by some people. While it is understandable to have differing points of view, in my humble opinion too many people here don't know how to agree to disagree and move on.

Maybe we all should live separate lives and assimilate and disappear among the hearing.

Back