cochlear implant opinons

I agree. If you have a child that was born with a defect like cleft pallet, would you wait until he/she was 18 to let them decide to have it repaired? No! you would have the operation as soon as possible. You are making a choice for the child to have a normal life. It is the same for hearing. If a child is born deaf, and would benefit from CI, then he/she deserves the Chance to hear normally.

Oldbob

Oh boy..another one and people wonder why the Deaf community speaks up.

For your information, I am deaf and don't have a CI and I am a contributing citizen who feels normal.

RD..here is a perfect example why thje Deaf community lashes out. We are sick of these kinds of views that we are defective and need to be fixed.

I agree. If you have a child that was born with a defect like cleft pallet, would you wait until he/she was 18 to let them decide to have it repaired? No! you would have the operation as soon as possible. You are making a choice for the child to have a normal life. It is the same for hearing. If a child is born deaf, and would benefit from CI, then he/she deserves the Chance to hear normally.

Oldbob

Cannot even compare deafness to a cleft palate. The implications for functional limitations are completely different.

Normal life? According to whom?

Came across it when doubletrouble pm'd me about something. I was checking on DT's posts and came across this and thought I would respond. Yes I agree that it's sad about many others that don't post here anymore due to some people constantly bashing them for their decisions. Even I have considered not posting here anymore because of much of what I see in the responses by some people. While it is understandable to have differing points of view, in my humble opinion too many people here don't know how to agree to disagree and move on.

I've had the same thoughts for the same reasons. I'm certainly not as active as I used to be due to the constant bickering and the outright hate I see from people here from time to time.

Came across it when doubletrouble pm'd me about something. I was checking on DT's posts and came across this and thought I would respond. Yes I agree that it's sad about many others that don't post here anymore due to some people constantly bashing them for their decisions. Even I have considered not posting here anymore because of much of what I see in the responses by some people. While it is understandable to have differing points of view, in my humble opinion too many people here don't know how to agree to disagree and move on.

What you said is very true and while I can lament about those who know longer post, it would be disingenuous of me if I did not accept part of the blame for taking part in that climate that helped to drive people either away or not to post as frequently as they might have like to.

In my opinion some of you in the deaf community are elitist snobs.
oldbob

don't try to sugar coat it. Answer my question. what about people who can't get cochlear implant because of medical reasons. Can they have a normal life.

Normal life. What an odd concept. Does anyone really have that?

My definition of a normal life. I wanted my children to grow up and be what they wanted to be without having to make allowances for not having all their senses. There are limitations on the deaf. One that I know of is commercial driver. A deaf person cannot get a CDL. (although some hearing people shouldn't have them)

And I think Pepsi is better than coke.

Do we even want to be a CDL driver? anyway, Some limits are due to technologies design for hearing people. Telephone is one of it.

In my opinion some of you in the deaf community are elitist snobs.
oldbob

After growing up being fully oral and being around hearing people only, I was snubbed by them so YES I earned the right to be a elist snob in the Deaf community! Why not? Hearing people snubbed me so I will snub those who consider me defective because I dont hear at the same dB level as they do.

Well my Naida IX UP's ain't hacking it for me any more. So to keep from having to join the deaf community, I'm getting an AB CI, and drinking Pepsi. I need my beauty sleep, so good night all.

My definition of a normal life. I wanted my children to grow up and be what they wanted to be without having to make allowances for not having all their senses. There are limitations on the deaf. One that I know of is commercial driver. A deaf person cannot get a CDL. (although some hearing people shouldn't have them)

And I think Pepsi is better than coke.

There are a handful of deaf truckers burning up the Interstates from California to New York and there's some regional drivers, too.

And Coke's is better than Pepsi.

Well my Naida IX UP's ain't hacking it for me any more. So to keep from having to join the deaf community, I'm getting an AB CI, and drinking Pepsi. I need my beauty sleep, so good night all.

Do you really think I care about AB or Pepsi?

BTW people, PEPSI AND COKE are GROSS... I don't drink any sodas. Sorry.

Back