Cochlear Device & The Deaf Community: Hearing Within

All I will say about technology is BRING IT ON! Some people need to get a grip on change as change is good. Otherwise, stagnation will prevail...

Overall, an excellent article!
A++ That's right. The only constant is change.

I think the deaf community in general are fearful of CIs mainly because naturally, the parents will be less likely expose the children to sign language resulting more deaf people not being fluent in ASL. If they don't sign, how do members of the deaf community feel connected with them if they can't communicate with them? I don't think it is segregation on purpose even though in some cases it may be true, but it will happen naturally if the CI users don't know sign and can't communicate with deaf signers. Deaf signers who were unable to develop speech and lipreading skills will still be unable to adapt to meet the CI users' communication needs so it will depend on the CI users to learn ASL for the segregation to disappear. If they don't then yes, there will be a segregation within the deaf community even if all deaf signers accept people with CIs. Just the inability to communicate with each other will cause people to gravitate away from each other.

Another fear is that many deaf people have jobs working with deaf people and if a large percentage of future deaf children are being implanted and fully assimilated in the hearing world, it means those services like deaf schools, for example, will change or disappear leaving many deaf signers without jobs or forcing them to work at jobs where communication is a huge barrier.

This is not a personal attack on CIs ..just based on my observations and talking with different deaf signers about CIs.

It is just a feeling within the deaf community and yes, it is a big fear which leads to resentment. I can understand from their point of view cuz even myself, if where I work shut down and I can't find a job as a teacher for the deaf due to my less than perfect speech or inability to read lips to meet the spoken needs of children with CIs that means the end of my teaching career. It may happen or may not happen but that's the fear I have from time to time.

This is not a bashing post so pls don't take what I said too literally. Thanks
i understand how you feel

i had meet 2 of my old teacher at the reunion. both are deaf and use ASL strongly

one of them is now working with general students with CI, hearing aids, BAHA and use just a little sign languge.. mostly speaking and she enjoys the job there, and yes she mention that its a big challenge but she still enjoys learning and taking it.

other one is working one-on-one with a boy with CI in mainstream school doesn't use ASL however, that teacher can speak good and read lips good. eventhough she enjoys it.. because challenge to her is fun.

it doesn't mean that you'll permentally lose the job.. there's always alternative beside the job you have now. and yes its challenge once you get used to the challenge you'll be just fine. also will look good on ur resume and maybe get a better pay job relating to teaching field.

Come on people! Ths is a web based magazine that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of CI or deafness. I have pm ed the author to ask about credentials in making the assessments she has made regarding deafness or CI or the Deaf community. I suspect she has none, and is simply a freelancer viocing an opinion on something without an understanding of the iissues.

Come on people! Ths is a web based magazine that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of CI or deafness. I have pm ed the author to ask about credentials in making the assessments she has made regarding deafness or CI or the Deaf community. I suspect she has none, and is simply a freelancer viocing an opinion on something without an understanding of the iissues.
BINGO!!! It's exactly why I try to press for resources and why I say on many occasions that you have to take information you find on the web with a grain of salt. Sometimes its good and sometimes its not. Always cross check and verify and seek out additional supporting data.

BINGO!!! It's exactly why I try to press for resources and why I say on many occasions that you have to take information you find on the web with a grain of salt. Sometimes its good and sometimes its not. Always cross check and verify and seek out additional supporting data.

Yeah, rockdrummer. I got a reply--she did this as part of an assignment for a communications course. She has had 1 course of ASL (that would be 3 months on the quarter system, or 5 months on the semester system!) and has virtually no connection to deafness or the Deaf Community. No pssycchology background, no sociology background, no anthropology background. And no credible cited scientific sources for the information. In other words, just another opinion from a hearie that doesn't understand the isssues she is commenting on.

Yeah, rockdrummer. I got a reply--she did this as part of an assignment for a communications course. She has had 1 course of ASL (that would be 3 months on the quarter system, or 5 months on the semester system!) and has virtually no connection to deafness or the Deaf Community. No pssycchology background, no sociology background, no anthropology background. And no credible cited scientific sources for the information. In other words, just another opinion from a hearie that doesn't understand the isssues she is commenting on.
LOL.. yeah but I bet she got her assignment completed and probably received a passing grade.

RE: previous posts

For the record, my Graduate studies concentration is Social Science and I have had coursework as well as professional experience in psychology, social science, and also anthropology. For anyone else who might be interested, my BS is in Communication. Yes, I did complete the article as part of an assigned topic. My assignment was to lay out the arguments for both sides, and in the process give people something to think about. I happen to be good friends with a Speech Therapist who has extensive ASL experience (serves as interpreter for many local events) and who has worked with deaf and hearing impaired children in our local school district for nearly 20 years. I discussed the topic some with her as well while I was writing it. The article was initially one of an opinion - not a scientific, factual, research topic. My factual articles with GoInside all include a list of sources, citations, references, and/or links. The article on Cochlear Devices, as it was opinionated, does not have factual information to back it up as that was not the context in which it was written. I am equally open to the idea of updating the article and providing that information if anyone has some suggestions on how to improve it. I do not feel that "voicing my opinion" whether freelance or not was something I did in haste as a complete outsider of the issue or with sheer ignorance. I do find, however, that things that make us "different" seem to give people an instant sense of belonging. I find it ironic that once again that seems to hold true as since I apparently am a hearing individual with an opinion within a deaf community forum, I am now the one feeling a bit ostracized. Whether you discredit my opinion is fine with me as the article is sincerely just my take on things, however I do not see the need to discredit me as an individual.

As stated in my article,

"If the Deaf Community continues to ostracize members that believe they are making the best decision for themselves in choosing to use cochlear devices, the community will systematically and effectively continue to segregate itself. The irony will lie in the fact that the community will be responsible for reproducing similar discrimination ideals that it has historically struggled to overcome."

I also think it is conceivably possible for the deaf community to effectively segregate itself from the hearing community. I only offered a perspective, for which I have been equally honest to defend and support within my admitted knowledge base. Although I may not have as extensive a connection or knowledge base as many of you, I am always open to the opportunity to learn something new. But, then again I'm just another "hearie" who doesn't know what I'm talking about. As long as language barriers exist even through typed words on a page, it would seem that we all have a long way to go in terms of ever truly appreciating one another. "Deaf" can also be defined as refusing to listen so, there can be several kinds of deaf ears.

For the record, my Graduate studies concentration is Social Science and I have had coursework as well as professional experience in psychology, social science, and also anthropology. For anyone else who might be interested, my BS is in Communication. Yes, I did complete the article as part of an assigned topic. My assignment was to lay out the arguments for both sides, and in the process give people something to think about. I happen to be good friends with a Speech Therapist who has extensive ASL experience (serves as interpreter for many local events) and who has worked with deaf and hearing impaired children in our local school district for nearly 20 years. I discussed the topic some with her as well while I was writing it. The article was initially one of an opinion - not a scientific, factual, research topic. My factual articles with GoInside all include a list of sources, citations, references, and/or links. The article on Cochlear Devices, as it was opinionated, does not have factual information to back it up as that was not the context in which it was written. I am equally open to the idea of updating the article and providing that information if anyone has some suggestions on how to improve it. I do not feel that "voicing my opinion" whether freelance or not was something I did in haste as a complete outsider of the issue or with sheer ignorance. I do find, however, that things that make us "different" seem to give people an instant sense of belonging. I find it ironic that once again that seems to hold true as since I apparently am a hearing individual with an opinion within a deaf community forum, I am now the one feeling a bit ostracized. Whether you discredit my opinion is fine with me as the article is sincerely just my take on things, however I do not see the need to discredit me as an individual.

As stated in my article,

"If the Deaf Community continues to ostracize members that believe they are making the best decision for themselves in choosing to use cochlear devices, the community will systematically and effectively continue to segregate itself. The irony will lie in the fact that the community will be responsible for reproducing similar discrimination ideals that it has historically struggled to overcome."

I also think it is conceivably possible for the deaf community to effectively segregate itself from the hearing community. I only offered a perspective, for which I have been equally honest to defend and support within my admitted knowledge base. Although I may not have as extensive a connection or knowledge base as many of you, I am always open to the opportunity to learn something new. But, then again I'm just another "hearie" who doesn't know what I'm talking about. As long as language barriers exist even through typed words on a page, it would seem that we all have a long way to go in terms of ever truly appreciating one another. "Deaf" can also be defined as refusing to listen so, there can be several kinds of deaf ears.

Point taken. Here is the point I was making. It is impossible to form an opinion qbout an issue that affects the Deaf community on such a fundamental level without using the Deaf community as a resource. Not as a second hand resource through interviews with someone who happens to have professional connections, but on a personal level using face to face interviews. Otherwise, your perspective continues to be skewed toward what the hearing community sees as the issue, and not what the deaf community sees as the issue. With a background in the social sciences, and in particular, anthropology and sociology, you should have understood the value of particpant observation and ethnographic methodology.

Back