Cochlear Device & The Deaf Community: Hearing Within

Fragmenter

Reaction score
I came across a wonderful article written by Tammy Tillotson for Go Inside Magazine Home on January 12, 2002. She has wonderful views that I learned on my own in the last two weeks. Direct link here

Article has been removed at the request of GO INSIDE Magazine

WOW,
It's a long read, but certainly worth it.
Obviously the beginning and end resonated more with me but I can see that for people in the Deaf world, the article could be very intense.

Who else in your circle of friends, family and aquintences have read it. And what was their reaction.
And your hearing friends. Did they get a new look ok "your other (historical) side?

All I will say about technology is BRING IT ON! Some people need to get a grip on change as change is good. Otherwise, stagnation will prevail...

Overall, an excellent article!

gnulinuxman said:
:tears: It's sad how people hate signing and want to make noise instead... :tears:
It's so funny how you can conclude that from this article...
Really shows your state of mind.

Thanks for the insight!

gnulinuxman said:
:tears: It's sad how people hate signing and want to make noise instead... :tears:

It is not about "hating sign" per se. I have never learned it and in the world I live...there isn't a good reason for me to do so. It has more to do with accepting the possibilites one could achieve. I see endless possibilities ahead of me...

Oooooh, I'm going with the flow...yea, yea... :whistle:

sr171soars said:
It is not about "hating sign" per se. I have never learned it and in the world I live...there isn't a good reason for me to do so. It has more to do with accepting the possibilites one could achieve. I see endless possibilities ahead of me...

Exactly! How can you hate something you never knew in the first place. I don't know Chinese but that doesn't mean I hate it.

What is so wrong with learning how to speak?

Anyway - back on track - great article and very insightful.

Years ago when hearing aids first became popular, lots of Deaf leaders thought that hearing aids spelled the END for Deaf culture!
I see the CI as making Deaf culture more hoh friendly.....In past years the only "real Deaf" folks were those who were profoundly Deaf and DODA..Hoh folks weren't really welcomed as we were seen as being more hearing then deaf.

deafdyke said:
Years ago when hearing aids first became popular, lots of Deaf leaders thought that hearing aids spelled the END for Deaf culture!
I see the CI as making Deaf culture more hoh friendly.....In past years the only "real Deaf" folks were those who were profoundly Deaf and DODA..Hoh folks weren't really welcomed as we were seen as being more hearing then deaf.

Yes, the world has had thousands of different cultures that comes and goes every ten years. One easy example: Hippy Culture? It came and went yet you don't see Hippies crying murder.

People just adapt to times, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

One easy example: Hippy Culture? It came and went yet you don't see Hippies crying murder.
Well, it was more obvious in the '60's, but now it's just another culture....it's still around trust me....just go to a folk fest sometime!

deafdyke said:
Well, it was more obvious in the '60's, but now it's just another culture....it's still around trust me....just go to a folk fest sometime!
Yeah but did they cry murder?

deafdyke said:

Exactly. Even though the Hippies' children didn't turn out to be hippies, the culture is still around. Cultures changes a little from generation to generation. Just adapt to the times.

Thanks for sharing that article Fragmenter. Very interesting and insightful.

re posting #4 -- sr171soars had the key words/phrases in bold -- i totally agree, especially with the 2nd paragraph -- the Deaf community is going to totally stagnate if they do not accept new ideas and technologies and they are going to end up blaming the audists and hearies

they really need to wake up and smell the coffee and move forward into the 21st century!

great post/article, fragmenter!

neecy said:
Exactly! How can you hate something you never knew in the first place. I don't know Chinese but that doesn't mean I hate it.

What is so wrong with learning how to speak?
What's wrong with learning to sign? Don't you want a full communications toolbox??

sr171soars said:

Are you saying you need to flap your jaw just to succeed in the world? :squint:

Fragmenter said:
Exactly. Even though the Hippies' children didn't turn out to be hippies, the culture is still around. Cultures changes a little from generation to generation. Just adapt to the times.
By that you mean eradicate it? Come on, your posts are pretty much leading to you wishing that Deaf Culture was gone.

gnulinuxman said:
Are you saying you need to flap your jaw just to succeed in the world? :squint:

Tricky question in many ways. From the world's perspective, it helps tremendously to be able to do so but that is just one aspect to possible success. If you will, almost anybody can "talk" but not all talkers succeed either. Success is really a very elusive definition and it depends on the POV of any given person.

Anyway, that wasn't the point I was making. I was simply saying I never learned sign nor had the need to do so. When you can do as the Romans do, other things (such as sign) became irrelevant to me. One of the biggest reasons for this is that one needs somebody else to sign with. It is kind of difficult to keep sharp with any language if you can't use it. The "use it or lose it" principle applies here. I have a heck of a better chance to learn Spanish and use it on a regular basis especially in the area where I'm living now (NC).

gnulinuxman said:
What's wrong with learning to sign? Don't you want a full communications toolbox??

Why should the world learn sign language? I'm stumped here, GNU.

Back