Cochlear decison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a conspiracy here? More ravings from the deaf Militants who apparently don't exist except under dark beds!

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Cloggy a Deaf Militant?:bowlol:

This is one discussion you really need to gracefully back out of before you make a complete fool of yourself. There are many of us here who know Cloggy well. It would benefit you not to speak about things you know nothing about it.:laugh2:

It is all Jillio's fault!

I didn't create it, but I predicted it just as it happened. Yesterday, as a matter of fact!:laugh2: They are not nearly as slick as they think they are.:lol:

For future reference:http://www.alldeaf.com/american-disabilities-act/93697-head-head-w-work-help-me.html#post1901400 and look at post 14.

This is what I do just to be sure to be able to avoid such a situation. I am completely deaf in the left ear and can't understand on any phone even with hearing aid in right. The phone(s) are not used often so keeping the two phones active (old dumb phone on TracFone and Droid 2 on PagePlus) should be under $200 per year unless I get carried away with other uses for the Droid.

that's nice but I can't afford a cell phone and one other thing, this happened to me before cell phones were used widely.

Geez I saw this thread go from ugly to hideous .. I would like to thank everyone for their comments, I have read every single one, esp. those who actually took the time to Focus on what this thread was about whether it was a positive or negative comment about CIs. The decision has not been made but I'll Try to keep you guys posted. Right now all we can do is hope that whatever the decision is is the best decision for my little cousin.

Geez I saw this thread go from ugly to hideous .. I would like to thank everyone for their comments, I have read every single one, esp. those who actually took the time to Focus on what this thread was about whether it was a positive or negative comment about CIs. The decision has not been made but I'll Try to keep you guys posted. Right now all we can do is hope that whatever the decision is is the best decision for my little cousin.

Welcome to the world of CI discussions.:lol:

I haven't called ANYONE deaf Militant-don't exist except imaginary under the bed.

Do imaginary entities exists? Is this a serious discussion?

Right- does one need an extended sense of the ridiculous?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

It's not a scare tactic. It's the truth, and anybody who tries to downplay the necessity of speech therapy for implanted children is giving bad advice. As has already been pointed out, Grendel's daughter is a rare exception to the point of almost being unique.
Children that got their CI later in life have a lot of catching up to do... and speech therapy is a great help for them... For children getting the implant before their first birthday, the delay is much smaller... reducing the need for speech therapy..

It's also worth pointing out that "speech therapy" means more than formal visits to a therapist and include the intensive work that goes on at home between child and parent, so your anecdotes of attending therapy only a few hours a week do not paint a realistic picture.
Sure.... therapy is hard work... for the child and the parent... So lets make it fun....

I'm not sure you understand what language therapy really is. It's only required when a child does not have natural access to or has difficulty producing language. In the case of a typical Deaf child, if they are immersed in a signing environment then they will naturally acquire language with no therapy required. The only reason they would need therapy is if their language needs were not addressed early in their development (which, unfortunately, is often the case with Deaf children born to hearing parents).
How do you naturally aquire language (as in speech) when you are submerged in sign language.... I recall that in "Sound & Fury" a (hearing) CODA needed LOTS of speech therapy BECAUSE she was submerged in sign language...
With hearing parents children are submerged in sounds and speech requiring less speech therapy compared to children that are submerged in sign language... Then again... if a Deaf child doesn't want to speak.... there absolutely NO speech therapy required...

The reason speech therapy is generally necessary for those with cochlear implants is because implants do not provide a natural access to spoken language. The child has to be taught and trained how to "hear" and how to process speech sounds and produce them himself.
Implants provide excellent access to spoken langauge... Of course the child has to learn to hear... Just like the natural process of hearing children in the womb and early in life.. With them it goes automatically.. with children born deaf the process is speed-ed up by using speech therapy (if needed,..)

Cloggy - the real question remains; With the advent of technology do we (the deaf) really need to hear and speak verbally?

Cloggy - the real question remains; With the advent of technology do we (the deaf) really need to hear and speak verbally?
Do you really need to drive a car? Fly a plane? Use electricity? Take digital pictures? Flush a toilet? Post on AllDeaf? - Off course not... It's a choice..

Does this child need heart surgery now or should we wait until it's old enough to make her/his own decision is another question

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Your reasoning is flawed. Slippery slope argument is the weakest stance typically employed when a person is desperate to justify his/her opinion.

Last edited:
Children that got their CI later in life have a lot of catching up to do... and speech therapy is a great help for them... For children getting the implant before their first birthday, the delay is much smaller... reducing the need for speech therapy..

Sure.... therapy is hard work... for the child and the parent... So lets make it fun....

How do you naturally aquire language (as in speech) when you are submerged in sign language.... I recall that in "Sound & Fury" a (hearing) CODA needed LOTS of speech therapy BECAUSE she was submerged in sign language...
With hearing parents children are submerged in sounds and speech requiring less speech therapy compared to children that are submerged in sign language... Then again... if a Deaf child doesn't want to speak.... there absolutely NO speech therapy required...

Implants provide excellent access to spoken langauge... Of course the child has to learn to hear... Just like the natural process of hearing children in the womb and early in life.. With them it goes automatically.. with children born deaf the process is speed-ed up by using speech therapy (if needed,..)

Every thing you have posted indicates that you still equate language as being spoken. Which simply serves to confirm the fact that you are audist through and through in your thoughts, beliefs, and actions.

Language =/= Speech

Exactly. That is the equation that the majority of hearing parents, and especially hearing parents who opt for CI, mess up. They equate language and speech. This is based on the fact that their language is spoken. It is a mistake borne of self centeredness and superficiality.

Do you really need to drive a car? Fly a plane? Use electricity? Take digital pictures? Flush a toilet? Post on AllDeaf?

I can do all of this without speaking or hearing... I have no desire to fly a plane, but I know of Deaf people who have. What does any of this have to do with speaking or hearing? I am happiest on days when I do not have to use my voice or my HA's at all... I am happy :deaf:, proud :deaf:... so why try to make language seem like it is only speech?

Language is more than speech, a child can naturally aquire language (sign language) with only visual clues... so your argument is flawed

Do you really need to drive a car? Fly a plane? Use electricity? Take digital pictures? Flush a toilet? Post on AllDeaf? - Off course not... It's a choice..

Does this child need heart surgery now or should we wait until it's old enough to make her/his own decision is another question

Fallicious comparisons. Try to stick to the topic.

heart surgery....

is CI surgery a matter of life and death situation?

heart surgery....

is CI surgery a matter of life and death situation?

Of course it isn't, which is why the comparison is fallicious. But it is typical of the exaggerations and deflections that are commonly used with these type of arguments.

Every thing you have posted indicates that you still equate language as being spoken. Which simply serves to confirm the fact that you are audist through and through in your thoughts, beliefs, and actions.
Wrong.... but I can see the word turns you on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back