Cochlear decison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

ah, and there is the difference! You do not believe that deafness has "medical consequences" but others do. They believe that the auditory nerve atrophy and brain development changes that happen due to lack of auditory input constitute a "neurological emergency" (carol flexer) that would be as serious as the vision loss caused by cataracts.

They who?

Wirelessly posted

ah, and there is the difference! You do not believe that deafness has "medical consequences" but others do. They believe that the auditory nerve atrophy and brain development changes that happen due to lack of auditory input constitute a "neurological emergency" (carol flexer) that would be as serious as the vision loss caused by cataracts.

What "medical consequences" does deafness have? I can't wait to hear this. Deafness has never been responsible for a neurological emergency. You are esaggerating or misunderstanding something you have read.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
The newer surgeries are much less likely to destroy residual hearing than the older surgeries were.

You are talking about the short array. The short array can leave some residual hearing, but the people that are eligible for the short array are few. And the surgeons that can perform them even fewer. It is a very specialized technique. And the cochlea is still bypassed.

not true. There are plenty of people who retain some residual hearing. It is a gamble though.

So I suppose my auditory nerves have atrophied by now. Oh no. What to do now?

My brain clearly has not developed correctly. :giggle:

I used to see a neurologist over headaches some 25 years ago. I should go back and visit him again and tell him I have a nuerological emergency.

Give me a break.

Exactly. Changes in the brain resulting from greater visual processing are not a negative thing. They do not create any medical consequence, and they certainly do not create a neurological emergency.:laugh2:

You know, a child's life is supposed to be carefree and happy; filled with play and spontaneous learning. I really find it sad that so many are so disturbed by their child being on the left or the right of some ideal that no one can even define (normal) that they fill that child's life with drills and exercises and surgeries to try to move them closer to that normal ideal.

I agree. I did not even ask her if she is happy or not. All I saw that she blurts out when she learned that I went to the deaf school. "you went to deaf school??? you are SO lucky! my parents forces me to speak...." with no stop about CI, hearing school, how lonely she is, being forced to speak. *SMH*

I agree. I did not even ask her if she is happy or not. All I saw that she blurts out when she learned that I went to the deaf school. "you went to deaf school??? you are SO lucky! my parents forces me to speak...." with no stop about CI, hearing school, how lonely she is, being forced to speak. *SMH*

*nodding* She is so unhappy that it just spills out of her anytime she finds someone she thinks can understand. How sad that is.:(

Welcome Cloogy back to the "10 millionth interlude re Cochlear Implants", As this is "alice in Deaf/deaf/DEAF land" - reality as such doesn't matter. Real people's experiences with their Cochlear Implant-don't matter- they are "deluded without the CORRECT GNOSTIC facts"- secretly affirmed by the deaf Militants.( Of course they don't exist for public consumption)

Has much changed in your sojourn here since Feb/05?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/97

Welcome Cloogy back to the "10 millionth interlude re Cochlear Implants", As this is "alice in Deaf/deaf/DEAF land" - reality as such doesn't matter. Real people's experiences with their Cochlear Implant-don't matter- they are "deluded without the CORRECT GNOSTIC facts"- secretly affirmed by the deaf Militants.( Of course they don't exist for public consumption)

Wirelessly posted

not true. There are plenty of people who retain some residual hearing. It is a gamble though.

More do not retain residual hearing than those who do. That is a fact.:roll:

Off topic and trolling.

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Cloggy, your thoughts on post #604?

so what if a teen doesn't want to wear their device? That is their choice and they should be fully supported in that decision. That does not make the choice that their parents made wrong, it does not make them a "failure". Their parent gave them an opportunity to have access to sound that without an implant they would have never had. It was a tool that they could use. If they choose not to use it later, great. I wanted to give my child that choice, and without the CI, she didn't have that option.

Wirelessly posted

so what if a teen doesn't want to wear their device? That is their choice and they should be fully supported in that decision. That does not make the choice that their parents made wrong, it does not make them a "failure". Their parent gave them an opportunity to have access to sound that without an implant they would have never had. It was a tool that they could use. If they choose not to use it later, great. I wanted to give my child that choice, and without the CI, she didn't have that option.

Did you feel that Cloggy was not up to par on answering my question?

Wait...I could have sworn PFH was asking for Cloggy's thoughts.

But since you want to respond: how would you react to a child that doesn't want to wear their CI?

Wirelessly posted

Seems as if you didn't give he/she the option, either, to wear HAs and THEN opt for a CI if that was what she/he so chose.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

What "medical consequences" does deafness have? I can't wait to hear this. Deafness has never been responsible for a neurological emergency. You are esaggerating or misunderstanding something you have read.

i don't misunderstand at all. You just disagree.

Carol flexer wrote this "identification ofnewborn hearion loss should be considered a neurodevelopmental emergency".

the fact is that Deaf brains are different from hearing brains and that change happens very early. That would be a consequence of hearing loss.

My daughter retained what little residual hearing she had prior to implantation. After both surgeries. Which is great, because this way she can hear a jet engine either with her CIs on ... or without. Her choice. :)

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wait...I could have sworn PFH was asking for Cloggy's thoughts.

But since you want to respond: how would you react to a child that doesn't want to wear their CI?

a teen? Fully support their decision and make sure that their school and home environment still allow for access to information.

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Wirelessly posted

Did you feel that Cloggy was not up to par on answering my question?

nope, this just was the last one on the subject, so i clicked on reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back