Cochlear & ASL for SSD in previously hearing 6 year old with no speech impairment?

So true.... until you acnoledge that many unilateral hearing loss lead to progressive and bilateral losses... https://

Earlier intervention and deaf education could save ALOT of head and heartache later in life

I don't know about other schools but I am pushing for it here.... I have learned a lot that I didn't know before because I didn't need to know it then. Now I do and I try to spread the info.

I did not know that! That's a good point! Deaf ed should have the option if there's risk of progressive/bilateral loss,to enroll in the classes at least as a supplement....Like I'm sure there wouldn't be a ton of uni kids at Deaf schools....but they COULD benifit from say a regional program etc.....Blind ed has the option where if a student has a progressive loss/risk of sight loss,they can be enrolled to learn blind skills.

Because of the nature of most types of unilateral deafness/SSD almost ALL of us are "at high risk" for progressive and bilateral HL... it's a fairly standard situation.

I was born SSD, then had mild flux loss on my "hearing side", then mild/moderate etc. (it's now moderate, with some "severe dips").
APD is also quite common with those who have SSD from birth (or pre-lingual SSD).

Keep in mind that very often SSD+APD = functionally deaf in noise (unable to understand speech, understand/process sounds etc).

I "got by" in k-15 school with preferred seating (which was a joke- I "got by" because I spent hours at home every night learning all the things I missed in class). I certainly would have benefitted from CART or ASL interpreters in class (we knew a lot less about SSD and APD in the 80s though).

In university I tried to manage without interpreters (I didn't make it more than a few classes, it was a disaster). It simply didn't work. I quickly set up ASL interpreters and it made a tremendous difference - I was able to follow in class and interact much better in the classroom (because I'm comfortable speaking, I almost always voiced for myself). If I didn't know ASL, I would have definitely chosen CART.

One of the biggest, most detrimental "myths" of SSD is that it's more like being hearing than being deaf. There are a few people who do feel that way - but typically they are people who still have a bit of residual hearing on their SSD side (severe-profound HL, not profound-total deafness). Absolutely no one I know who has SSD+APD feels "hearing".

Keep in mind that very often SSD+APD = functionally deaf in noise (unable to understand speech, understand/process sounds etc).

I "got by" in k-15 school with preferred seating (which was a joke- I "got by" because I spent hours at home every night learning all the things I missed in class). I certainly would have benefitted from CART or ASL interpreters in class (we knew a lot less about SSD and APD in the 80s though).

In university I tried to manage without interpreters (I didn't make it more than a few classes, it was a disaster). It simply didn't work. I quickly set up ASL interpreters and it made a tremendous difference - I was able to follow in class and interact much better in the classroom (because I'm comfortable speaking, I almost always voiced for myself). If I didn't know ASL, I would have definitely chosen CART.
".
Virtually ALL HOH folks lose it in difficult listening situtions.....the world is not a soundbooth after all......and the thing is,I do think unilateral kids can and should get HOH style accomondations...that means MORE then just front row seating accomondations.....and of course since unilateral kids are at risk for bilateral loss,it would make a lot of sense to prepare them for any and every possibilty. We have bilateral HOH kids who ended up having progressive loss,....and many of them were oralized/HOH'd....all of them are glad they have HOH abilties....but they just wish they'd had access to ASL etc.....
Guess,I'm just used to unilateral loss in the area of atresia/microtia,where it's NOT progressive.

Guess,I'm just used to unilateral loss in the area of atresia/microtia,where it's NOT progressive.

Isn't it also true that in most cases with atresia/microtia that the SSD is primarily conductive in nature? (there may be some SNHL, but mostly it's conductive).

Most people with congential or truama induced SSD have primarily SNHL - which makes it a very different overall scenario. (CHL responds significantly better to amplification and there are many more treatment options available. SNHL sounds and behaves very differently)

I have experience first hand with both - I was born with SNHL SSD (total deafness) and "normal" hearing on the other side, I then had years of CHL on that side (infections, fluid, and other issues requiring surgeries). As I got older the CHL resolved (surgeries etc), but I then acquired SNHL on that side (it's now primarily SNHL, with a small amount of CHL). The CHL was much "easier" to work with (understand, hear etc), than the SNHL - even at the exact same amounts of HL.

Isn't it also true that in most cases with atresia/microtia that the SSD is primarily conductive in nature? (there may be some SNHL, but mostly it's conductive).

Most people with congential or truama induced SSD have primarily SNHL - which makes it a very different overall scenario. (CHL responds significantly better to amplification and there are many more treatment options available. SNHL sounds and behaves very differently)

I have experience first hand with both - I was born with SNHL SSD (total deafness) and "normal" hearing on the other side, I then had years of CHL on that side (infections, fluid, and other issues requiring surgeries). As I got older the CHL resolved (surgeries etc), but I then acquired SNHL on that side (it's now primarily SNHL, with a small amount of CHL). The CHL was much "easier" to work with (understand, hear etc), than the SNHL - even at the exact same amounts of HL.

Conductive hearing loss due to fluid and infections is different hearing wise from atresia related hearing......Those of us who have atresia hear through bone conduction which really isn't that simliar soundwise.......

Cool, maybe when I am fluent I won't rely on them so much. Sometime I wish I didn't remember "normal" hearing. I think I wouldn't miss what I am missing.

implants do not work for all children, implants are not always successful and should not be portrayed as a “cure” for deafness. Similarly, hearing aids do not work for all children, they are not always successful and should not be portrayed as a “cure” for deafness. You might want to consider that deafness doesn’t need a cure.

Or here's another way of thinking......Access to speech and hearing is GREAT for dhh kids....It gives them a very useful tool....But assuming that implants/HAs and speech therapy is all they need,is like assuming that if you're a good driver in optimum conditions,you'll be a good driver in any and every condition.The world is not a soundbooth. Dhh kids deserve a FULL TOOLBOX of options and choices!

Conductive hearing loss due to fluid and infections is different hearing wise from atresia related hearing......Those of us who have atresia hear through bone conduction which really isn't that simliar soundwise.......

My surgeries weren't for infection or fluid, (once I had tubes, but I'm not counting that as a "surgery"). The two surgeries I had were to remove bone and cartilage - even post surgery, I have very narrow ear canals, so actually, I do understand what that type of HL is like.

My surgeries weren't for infection or fluid, (once I had tubes, but I'm not counting that as a "surgery"). The two surgeries I had were to remove bone and cartilage - even post surgery, I have very narrow ear canals, so actually, I do understand what that type of HL is like.

I was simply clarifying for any lurkers....some people may take "oh atresia kids are basicly hearing" with amplification so they don't *need* ASL and other dhh stuff.....Nope....technology is still very limiting, and pretty much ALL atresia (bilateral) kids still need all the traditional HOH acocmondations.

What grade is she in? Deaf kid alone in schools have a harder time in middle school and high school. Why not transferred to the central schools where all the deaf kids are bused?
The IEP dictated your daughter's life in school, even pulling her out to meet with the itinerant teacher.

She has never complained of being frustrated in school. She has an IEP, and they pull her out of her regular class to give her additional help, but she says she'd rather stay in class, because she feels like her grades would be better if she didn't miss an hour of class every day. (she already makes A's & B's). I don't know what you mean by mainstreamed? She's just a regular kiddo.

Back