Cochlear & ASL for SSD in previously hearing 6 year old with no speech impairment?

She has never complained of being frustrated in school. She has an IEP, and they pull her out of her regular class to give her additional help, but she says she'd rather stay in class, because she feels like her grades would be better if she didn't miss an hour of class every day. (she already makes A's & B's). I don't know what you mean by mainstreamed? She's just a regular kiddo.

I am under the impression she is mainstreamed.... if this is the case.... being singled or, not communicating well in noisy school, frustrated during teacher lectures without aides, really???? ( and I base this on my daughters complaints)

Just my opinion and only my opinion....

do you understand how much pressure the human skull can take via impacts in a helmet during white water rafting? extreme sports are termed extreme for a reason. i am not opposed to the idea its just last time i kept up on CI they were really pushing for those implanted not to needlessly put there heads into rushing water amid jagged rocks to have fun (white water rafting) i wonder why they would suggest not to do such activities......maybe give it some thought.....
you retort with "being singled out", not communicating well in school' "frustrating teacher lectures with out aids really"

yes really...

Hoichi - she has BAHAs, not CIs. They're totally different things.

they are. i apologize for the confusion
having stated that

do you really think its a good idea to do extreme sports such as whote water rafting with bone anchored devices in your head?

ive done white water rafting. even with a helmet on my head banged to and fro up and down, i came out with wicked fun but it was a meat grinder of banging. hence why you where helmet
i wonder how id do with a BAHA

look extreme sports are extreme. they are called that for a reason. im not against them i enjoy them. but i doubt her doctors would think such activity would be good for her or the technology they are anchoring to her bone

thus my question stands and i hope her parents are thinking about it

Again... unless she is using a soft and and prefers it I would wait. As I said those were MY daughters complaints....its not the answer to all.

Mainstreaming is public school in regular classes. Again if she is doing fine leave it be until she is not.

ONE SIZE NEVER FITS ALL

indeed it doesn't. if only the hearie world would believe that

has anyone done extreme sports with bahas?
what are the design limitations of them/

indeed it doesn't. if only the hearie world would believe that

has anyone done extreme sports with bahas?
what are the design limitations of them/

I rock climb, parcour, and snowboard. I also motor cross but don't wear my baha then because the noise is AWFUL. limitations seem to mostly based on noise how ever contact sports can make the processor pop off so I use a teather

i see. cool. then dive in....
by the way.
i was asking the questions as i really didn't know the design limitations to baha.
i knew the limitations to CI
i rock climb as well, and snowboard when i'm out west anyway. as a technology ASL has fewer design limitations then either baha or ci.
no tethering, no popping off, no batteries, no whatever.......

and a hell of allot less cheaper, and easy maintenance too

Cool, maybe when I am fluent I won't rely on them so much. Sometime I wish I didn't remember "normal" hearing. I think I wouldn't miss what I am missing.

implants do not work for all children, implants are not always successful and should not be portrayed as a “cure” for deafness. Similarly, hearing aids do not work for all children, they are not always successful and should not be portrayed as a “cure” for deafness. You might want to consider that deafness doesn’t need a cure.

who me? where did i argue deafness needed a cure/ last time i checked thats an ideology of the hearies and their world
not me nor mine.

No, not you, hochi. It was supposed to be a general post to show I feel implant work for some kids but not all. I don't think we need a cure as much as I believe it is a preference. For example, someone might have a few books but I would WANT a library.

cool but thats what you feel. now
put yourself fin a place like norway where 95 percent of deaf kids are "offered" implants
you have doctors, audiologists, the government, companies offering a product
tell me with a straight face you see no coercion can exists in such a one sided alignment of interests
we cant rest our thoughts on "what we feel"
we need to ground them in what is happening

I see your point, and doctors do push... I have seen that. In my opinion if you don't ASK for it.... don't do it. Unfortunately, some parents don't make great advocates and just go with the flow. I push research and advocating hard. I tell people to make informed decisions based on their instinct, not some doctor, Audi, teacher or stranger who has only spent a short time with your child

She has never complained of being frustrated in school. She has an IEP, and they pull her out of her regular class to give her additional help, but she says she'd rather stay in class, because she feels like her grades would be better if she didn't miss an hour of class every day. (she already makes A's & B's). I don't know what you mean by mainstreamed? She's just a regular kiddo.

For unilateral loss?!?! Or does she have some other issues? Unilateral loss kids don't nessarily need the intensity of programming/supplemental services that bilateral kids do....They can and DO benifit from accomondations etc......

For unilateral loss?!?! Or does she have some other issues? Unilateral loss kids don't nessarily need the intensity of programming/supplemental services that bilateral kids do....They can and DO benifit from accomondations etc......

Not all need it, but some might. Yes they all benefit from accommodations but for SOME it might be beneficial to get the programming to use for times accommodations are not available. You can't generalize ALL unilateral loss, everyone is different

Not all need it, but some might. Yes they all benefit from accommodations but for SOME it might be beneficial to get the programming to use for times accommodations are not available. You can't generalize ALL unilateral loss, everyone is different

What I meant is stuff like enrollment in a Deaf class,ASL,etc etc etc.....Basicly the same stuff that is offered to bilateral kids......the overwhelmign majority of "just" unilateral kids can benifit from typical HOH minmal accmondations approach......

What I meant is stuff like enrollment in a Deaf class,ASL,etc etc etc.....Basicly the same stuff that is offered to bilateral kids......the overwhelmign majority of "just" unilateral kids can benifit from typical HOH minmal accmondations approach......

Still seems like generalizing.... I know a few uni teens who would strongly disagree. Judging based on unilateral loss is as bad as saying hard of hearing is a small issue. It is too often minimized and or ignored and belittled.

Still seems like generalizing.... I know a few uni teens who would strongly disagree. Judging based on unilateral loss is as bad as saying hard of hearing is a small issue. It is too often minimized and or ignored and belittled.

I'm NOT saying "ignore it"....what I'm saying is that uni kids generally can strongly benifit from HOH style accomondations.....(ie front row seating, FM,monioring by a TOD etc) EDUCATIONALLY speaking most of them won't need super intense stuff like an oral deaf class,or placement in Deaf ed etc...Some of them might learn ASL etc for fun outside of the classroom.....and of course there are unilateral kids with other issues.....

Back