class question

aww thanks!
well, its not just the EI worker not ever returning my calls or doing anything whatsoever, its that the therapists that are coming out have yet to come up with anything but a vague plan that really has no weight behind it. i can do that and not have 4 different people in my house several days a week. there is not one single thing they have helped me with, except for the possible assistance with the preschool, but i had to call the director to even get that.

aww thanks!
well, its not just the EI worker not ever returning my calls or doing anything whatsoever, its that the therapists that are coming out have yet to come up with anything but a vague plan that really has no weight behind it. i can do that and not have 4 different people in my house several days a week. there is not one single thing they have helped me with, except for the possible assistance with the preschool, but i had to call the director to even get that.

I do feel that sometimes parents who are fully devoted to giving their child what is best for them (like you) really can tell what is better for their children than those who are *experts* in the field. You know what you need to find out for your son, and you know your son better than anyone. You are trying to find solutions, while other people are just trying to make their children "normal" If you have any questions, you can PM me if you don't want to put it up on the forum. You really are an excellent mother!

aww thanks!

See, I agree with you on that one. They should have a treatment plan in place even though you do not have a definitive diagnosis yet. The symptoms are still there, and they could have a therapy plan in place to address those. If it needs to be amended for some reason once you do have a diagnosis, it can be done at that time. Meanwhile, they are wasting time that could be spent remediating some of his delays.

This would be like me telling a client that I can't do a treatment plan for their depression until I decide whether it is clinical or situational. They are still depressed and I can still begin treating symptoms while I get more information on the specifics. Or like not treating hallucinations because I am not yet certain whether they are caused from schizophrenia or bipolar disorder with psychosis. They are still having symptoms and I can still treat those symptoms in the meantime. I just don't agree with the approach they are taking. It leaves Frankie and your whole family in a limbo. Anytime a parent has a child with a disability, more than anything they want to feel as if there is a positive contribution they can make to the situation. To sit around waiting is to be unsure as to what roles the family members need to play in this system to make it work optimally. It doesn't just affect Frankie; it affects the whole familly.

well, we have a tentative diagnosis of global developmentally delayed, which to me, just says that hes delayed in many areas. i honestly think that with therapy and lots of love and support at home, we will get the best possible outcome.

well, we have a tentative diagnosis of global developmentally delayed, which to me, just says that hes delayed in many areas. i honestly think that with therapy and lots of love and support at home, we will get the best possible outcome.

Yep, that diagnosis is kind of a catch all category that will allow him to receive services while a more definitive diagnosis is worked on.

I have no doubt that you will do everything in your power to insure the best possible outcome.

This is a young child just beginning early intervention services. The processes are different for a child in that age range than for a child in K-12.

While all interactions need to be documented and copies of any and all meetings with the home school district need to be documented, the road to mediation is different.

I guess I'm not clear on what your point is?

I'm aware that this is a young child in Early Intervention, and that there are some differences between an IEP and an IFSP.

I made no mention of mediation in my post. I made reference to the educational agency serving the Child, which typically is the County Office when the child is under 3.

Reba and I both made some important points about keeping disagreements, problems, and responses clearly documented.

While the educational agency might be different in Early Intervention, the important principles of navigating the system remain the same (i.e. proper
documentation).

Frankiesmom, I have been sitting on the sidelines reading the questions and answers in this thread... I must say, I am honored to be watching someone with your enthusiasm for your children education explore and get the information you need to make informed choices and seek out resources. I have no doubt that your children are better off with you in their lives. Personally I have learned much about the world of education through reading your questions and the answers that follow.

I hope to someday put this information to good use. But for now, GO MOM!

oh thanks!! i am just trying to learn so that i can teach him really..when i first got confirmation that there was some problems, the first thing i did was search up what i could do as a mom to help him, and what kinds of books, equipment, etc was out there. i think i have learned more in the past couple of months than i have learned in a year, about disabled people and deaf people, and how stupid doctors and their illustrious assistants can be.

I guess I'm not clear on what your point is?

I'm aware that this is a young child in Early Intervention, and that there are some differences between an IEP and an IFSP.

I made no mention of mediation in my post. I made reference to the educational agency serving the Child, which typically is the County Office when the child is under 3.

Reba and I both made some important points about keeping disagreements, problems, and responses clearly documented.

While the educational agency might be different in Early Intervention, the important principles of navigating the system remain the same (i.e. proper
documentation).

Nevermind the reply. Don't want to see another thread get derailed with defensiveness.

Nevermind the reply. Don't want to see another thread get derailed with defensiveness.

Oh Jillio.

Not being defensive, but thank you...

Just asking for a point of clarification as I was not clear on the point of your post.

I prefer to clarify, and understand the intent of the post before I respond to it.

Here goes another thread.:roll:

For the last time, this is not about you. If you want a thread where you can talk about yourself and have everything directed at you,start one.

Back