Clarke School

My old school has the same problem with getting smaller. I blame that more on their horrible reputation for having hired sex offenders in the past.

What makes you hate it? Imperfect oral?

I don't care if it is oral or sign language. I prefer both methods which is better for me to communicate with.

If you have a terrible speech, then so what. You can try to practice with your voice by reading the baby books in private. It really helps you to improve your voice once a while. It has nothing to do with your speech, but it makes your vocal stronger so that you will do next project is to learn the speech correctly. Of course, it is not easy, but it is a big challenge for you. Maybe, in four months, your speech would be 75 percent better.

My speech is just fine. Has nothing to do with my speech skills.

It is everything behind it..the discriminatory attitudes, the politics, and the risks the deaf kids are put in for language delays by denying them full access to language.

Speech has absulotely nothing to do with it, especially mine.

If u read all the old deaf ed threads, u will see why I do not support oral-only deaf ed.

I do not need to improve my speech skills because I simply do not care anymore. This is who I am perfect or not.

My speech is just fine. Has nothing to do with my speech skills.

It is everything behind it..the discriminatory attitudes, the politics, and the risks the deaf kids are put in for language delays by denying them full access to language.

Speech has absulotely nothing to do with it, especially mine.

If u read all the old deaf ed threads, u will see why I do not support oral-only deaf ed.

I do not need to improve my speech skills because I simply do not care anymore. This is who I am perfect or not.

I think that I agree with you about a deaf education which is a big problem. It would be great for the deaf kids to mainstream in a hearing school. It would be much harder for some deaf kids to make hearing friends. I believe that it is the best to start with little kids involved in a hearing school so that the hearing kids know a deaf person since they were in the same school. This will be successful.

I remember one deaf student who attend Clarke and he enjoyed being with deaf students. He grew up in hearing schools most of his life. He didn't have a problem with hearing students except some of them talked too fast that he didn't like, but he got used to them for so long.

Hearing school:

Pro - better education and continue studying without stopping...

Con - hearing students talk too fast that an interpreter sometimes has a hard time so she decided to interpret them to follow the teacher's lectures. It would have missed the opportunity for a deaf to know what the students really have to say so that the deaf learns the different view between the students' and a teacher's comments.

Deaf school:

Pro - excellent social skills

Con - poor education which often stopped or interrupt patterns in some way. The committees failed not to think of them as hearing students. They did not teach them to prepare to meet the SAT's skills.

Where is your old thread link that I could read your comments?

Oral-only education isn't enough for Deaf children. I prefer to see ASL taught as well to give the child an option of what they prefer to use for communication.

I think that I agree with you about a deaf education which is a big problem. It would be great for the deaf kids to mainstream in a hearing school. It would be much harder for some deaf kids to make hearing friends. I believe that it is the best to start with little kids involved in a hearing school so that the hearing kids know a deaf person since they were in the same school. This will be successful.

I remember one deaf student who attend Clarke and he enjoyed being with deaf students. He grew up in hearing schools most of his life. He didn't have a problem with hearing students except some of them talked too fast that he didn't like, but he got used to them for so long.

Hearing school:

Pro - better education and continue studying without stopping...

Con - hearing students talk too fast that an interpreter sometimes has a hard time so she decided to interpret them to follow the teacher's lectures. It would have missed the opportunity for a deaf to know what the students really have to say so that the deaf learns the different view between the students' and a teacher's comments.

Deaf school:

Pro - excellent social skills

Con - poor education which often stopped or interrupt patterns in some way. The committees failed not to think of them as hearing students. They did not teach them to prepare to meet the SAT's skills.

Where is your old thread link that I could read your comments?

poor education? Really? All deaf schools? Again, here we go with the myths that all deaf schools provide poor quality education. Oh boy..when does it end?

And ALL hearing schools aren't great. There are TONS of inner city schools and country schools and other types of schools which SUCK!

poor education? Really? All deaf schools? Again, here we go with the myths that all deaf schools provide poor quality education. Oh boy..when does it end?

It's true for the school I went to. I wish I had taken more classes at the local high school near it. Then again, when you pretty much PHS on almost everything on your SAT test, you're going to feel the need to be challenged. I didn't feel challenged at my old school.

I've heard that they've improved in education lately. That's great.

sher90 - I think I recalled that you were a teacher. Was it successful for you to teach deaf kids at a school?

deafdyke - That's true. I was too focus on our deaf students. I would like to see our deaf kids to be success in the hearing world, and I expect them to be ability to do what they want to be in a professional career or become an owner of a business. I impressed with some AD users have a very good career.

I met some NTID students, and they quit their job because they had a communication problem with their boss. They now work at some odd jobs with a low salary. One top NTID student quit a high paid job and worked at Super Kmart as a stocker because she was too tired of communication. She was my classmate. My good friend works as an architect for 15 years, and he never got a promotion because his speech is so poor. He cannot afford to quit his job because he is paying his house mortgage.

sher90 - I think I recalled that you were a teacher. Was it successful for you to teach deaf kids at a school?

deafdyke - That's true. I was too focus on our deaf students. I would like to see our deaf kids to be success in the hearing world, and I expect them to be ability to do what they want to be in a professional career or become an owner of a business. I impressed with some AD users have a very good career.

I met some NTID students, and they quit their job because they had a communication problem with their boss. They now work at some odd jobs with a low salary. One top NTID student quit a high paid job and worked at Super Kmart as a stocker because she was too tired of communication. She was my classmate. My good friend works as an architect for 15 years, and he never got a promotion because his speech is so poor. He cannot afford to quit his job because he is paying his house mortgage.

I teach mostly elementary deaf children with special needs so I dont know what your definition of "successful" is. In my eyes, they are all successful and I dont care what the hearing world says.

Those people who got discriminated because of their poor speech werent at fault. It is the hearing people who are DEAD WRONG for doing that. They need to meet deaf people's needs instead of expecting deaf people meeting their hearing needs. I just do not accpet that and I dont care if someone has poor or good speech skills.

The general hearing public is the problem with their discriminatory attitudes.

I teach mostly elementary deaf children with special needs so I dont know what your definition of "successful" is. In my eyes, they are all successful and I dont care what the hearing world says.

Those people who got discriminated because of their poor speech werent at fault. It is the hearing people who are DEAD WRONG for doing that. They need to meet deaf people's needs instead of expecting deaf people meeting their hearing needs. I just do not accpet that and I dont care if someone has poor or good speech skills.

Okay, I get your point. I believe what you said that the children are "successful" which is good enough.

It just like a hearing world is trying to control a deaf world that have to meet the hearing standard. I hate that.

I thought Austine was one of the good deaf schools? It was, in the '80's.
You know......oral deaf schools are just SO out of touch with mainstream America. By mostly focusing on day programs, the people who run the oral programs are assuming that families will be able to afford to move to the various and sundry places where good oral programs are located. Most good oral programs tend to be located in expensive areas! Noho is in a very expensive area for housing etc.

I thought Austine was one of the good deaf schools? It was, in the '80's.

It probably was. I joined in '93 though. We hit a high of 85 students in 1996 and now there's under 50 at the main campus.

The education just wasn't very good though when I was there. The place was also rocked with scandals, mainly child molestation.

That is the reason why the enrollment declined.

Good point! Very good point!

If I'm an employer (hearing impaired or not, but I am), I will provide every help an employee who's deaf needs for the job.

I'm always open-minded.

Back