Clarke School

morphocoelestis

Reaction score
I was just wondering who (if any one) went to the Clarke School?

I've known several people who went or graduated from Clarke School for the Deaf.

Clarke School must be oralism? avoid ASL.

Yeah, but don't they allow Sign out of the classroom? Like they're not as strict as that school in Oregon where they don't even let you tap others on the shoulder to get their attention.

tapping....I think allow at Clarke cuz some cannot hear with hearing aid...but signs no. We sneaked in my room or others room and use signs.
Yeah, but don't they allow Sign out of the classroom? Like they're not as strict as that school in Oregon where they don't even let you tap others on the shoulder to get their attention.

Dunno about Clarke School but at the school I went to (Austine), everyone liked to pick on the Clarke kids. It seems to be pretty common to mock to them, even if it's not really nice.

Oh yea...I remembered cuz we played basketball with Austine school for the deaf (both boys and girls teams).

Dunno about Clarke School but at the school I went to (Austine), everyone liked to pick on the Clarke kids. It seems to be pretty common to mock to them, even if it's not really nice.

Oh yea...I remembered cuz we played basketball with Austine school for the deaf (both boys and girls teams).

That's cool. I graduated from Austine in 1999. I remember a few games at Clarke (I played both soccer and basketball). Again, it's not nice to pick on others just because you disagree with their method of education. It was pretty common though.

I went to Clarke School in 1979 thru 1984.

There were a lot of changes. They closed down in art, photography, cooking, printing, and sewing classes. They have one activity - a computer room. Not good. Too many staffs, and much fewer students. Very plenty money. Some buildings and houses sold to Smith College. Very odd! It is not my problem. Let this school shut down which is fine with me because of scandal.

We really do not know what to do with the swimming pool building. A few years ago, I heard a rumor that it might be selling. But, no proof.

I don't think so cuz it is connect to gym....however cooking, sewing, photography, art etc were still there when I was there. yea...they are overstaffed with few students! :ugh: Now they are selling president's house!

I haven't been back since 1990 to visit/reunions soooo I dunno if I will! Maybe next reunion but not decided yet.

Their food are NASTY!! :barf: No wonder I was skinny back then for not eating much!!!

There were a lot of changes. They closed down in art, photography, cooking, printing, and sewing classes. They have one activity - a computer room. Not good. Too many staffs, and much fewer students. Very plenty money. Some buildings and houses sold to Smith College. Very odd! It is not my problem. Let this school shut down which is fine with me because of scandal.

We really do not know what to do with the swimming pool building. A few years ago, I heard a rumor that it might be selling. But, no proof.

Seems like most Deaf institutions have crappy food. Heh. Austine had a professional chef around 1995 but he didn't stay long. Probably the best chef and food they had for a while.

I don't think so cuz it is connect to gym....however cooking, sewing, photography, art etc were still there when I was there. yea...they are overstaffed with few students! :ugh: Now they are selling president's house!

I haven't been back since 1990 to visit/reunions soooo I dunno if I will! Maybe next reunion but not decided yet.

Their food are NASTY!! :barf: No wonder I was skinny back then for not eating much!!!

Wow, about the president's house. It looks that some teachers are waiting to retire soon as they might knew that the school will be closed down. But, I am not saying my fact etc... Okay.

Ha ha ha yeah some food were gross. I personally hate oatmeal for breakfast. My friend and I decided not go to the reunion because of money issue. Some of us are not interested to pay the alumni member - that's 'out-of-idea.'

The Clarke School Reunion isn't quite cheap because of our time to drive and especially gas. It would be more fun to meet them outside of the reunion at a restaurant. It seems that it is popular that way. That's okay with me. Perhaps, it was too crowd at the reunion. I am not interested in formal clothes. Of course, proper casual is good.

What scandal? I am curious. I did check out Clarke School for the Deaf one time last June.

What scandal? I am curious. I did check out Clarke School for the Deaf one time last June.

A company donates 300,000 dollars to Clarke School every year. Plus, several death wills go to Clarke since for example between 50,000 to 5 million dollars. I researched on the database. I would tell you where the money come from, but I can't for a good reason. Actually, Mr. Pratt was his idea to set the funds that we raised was one million dollars in the 1980's. The new and former presidents copied his idea that became greedy later. I bet that a few staffs know and can't talk about it. Ms. Manger (?) is a jerk, and she is still alive. Most brainwashed students love her that made some of us stunned.

I realized that most students, who lived in the dorm most of their life, rarely to see their parents to come so they thought that Ms. Manger was their mother. I heard the old story about her, and she was a big responsibility to watch the children from abusing housekeepers because she knew the horrible stories and she should have fired them immediately. I guess that the Clarke might want to close it down quiet so that they cannot be sued someday. That's what I am afraid that it is going to happen.

Clarke School was really good program for deaf students to learn how to talk and greatly improve their speech. They work so hard to prepare into a hearing world. I think that it is great. American School probably does the same thing. These schools are not perfect education program.

Did we ever walked to the downtown during the week and weekend? Do our housekeepers allow us to go there? :dunno:

I did with friends even we took short cut that we were not supposed to! :ugh: Ms. Buuck scolded all of us...we go like so what! Cuz another way is long way, and waste of time!!!

I wonder if Davis Center still there? We goes there often also.

Curious...store name "FACE" still there? It was one of my favorite store when I was teenager.
Did we ever walked to the downtown during the week and weekend? Do our housekeepers allow us to go there? :dunno:

I did with friends even we took short cut that we were not supposed to! :ugh: Ms. Buuck scolded all of us...we go like so what! Cuz another way is long way, and waste of time!!!

I wonder if Davis Center still there? We goes there often also.

Curious...store name "FACE" still there? It was one of my favorite store when I was teenager.

Yes, FACE is still there. I like the store. I have been there once a while, but it is far for me to drive to the shopping area. It moved from a main street near UMass to Northampton main street near a bank. It across the street from the town hall. It is much better location.

Rolled my eyes about Ms. Buuck! Who care! It was a good thing that you enjoyed with your friends in the downtown. :P

I am not sure about the Davis Center. Is a building with a green canvas (a sort of mini mall tower)?

Back