Clarification on port forwarding settings for MVP

To make this simple as possible

DMZ is just another way to do port forwarding BUT what they actually do is forward every possible ports to specific private IP address. Usually specific port is from 0 to 65535,

For port forward set up, just set specific port that you want to forward, it can be single or range instead of forwarding entire ports.

To make this simple as possible

DMZ is just another way to do port forwarding BUT what they actually do is forward every possible ports to specific private IP address. Usually specific port is from 0 to 65535,

For port forward set up, just set specific port that you want to forward, it can be single or range instead of forwarding entire ports.

I know but i have one question, Once we have multiple vp so we put port forward to make running without dmz turn on? that what i want know..thanks

Simple rule on all routers, no matter which one, you can't have same port forwarding to two or more private IP addresses. In other word, your limited to forward a port to a private IP address NOT multiple private IP addresses.

There is no exception to rule above on all routers. Think this way, DMZ means forward entire ports, meaning nothing left to port forwarding a port.

That is something I have been trying to tell and no one seems to understand this simple rule.

I know but i have one question, Once we have multiple vp so we put port forward to make running without dmz turn on? that what i want know..thanks

Simple rule on all routers, no matter which one, you can't have same port forwarding to two or more private IP addresses. In other word, your limited to forward a port to a private IP address NOT multiple private IP addresses.

There is no exception to rule above on all routers. Think this way, DMZ means forward entire ports, meaning nothing left to port forwarding.

That is something I have been trying to tell and no one seems to understand this simple rule.

I do, you are not the only one.:)

I do, you are not the only one.:)

hear hear!!

fullmetal- what diehard is saying, If you use dmz, you are basically locking up the ports one vp is using and the other cant use it. There is no IF/AND/OR/BUT about this. VRS providers did NOT create this rule!! It the networking protocols!!

simply put- blame it on the OSI model of network models. here is a tidbit that some of you may not know:
the group that created the ISO model met late one night in a bar and began making fun of American pop cluture. As it turns out, they started scribbling names of the seven dwarfs from the Disney movie on a paper cocktail napkin, and somebody joked that seven was a really good number for network layers. The next morning at the standards committee meeting, the group passed around the cocktail napkin and generally agreed that that they had discovered something fundamental the previous night while they were drunk!!!

Yes, and more to this, the IPv4 pool of public IP address isn't enough to cover entire world that needs IP address, each machine requires their own unique IP address. So, somebody came up with a solution back then before the VP, VoIP, and other devices that requires use of ports showed up everyhere... and that solution called NAT (Network Allocation Translation) which solves problem for residential and businesses that has more than one machine, NAT intended to share single public IP address. The flaw is that it limits one port forwarding to single private IP address. Back then it was not a problem, but now we got more equipments that requires port, thus creating more problems that we are seeing.

Like I said back then, hit book and study NAT!

DHB

hear hear!!

fullmetal- what diehard is saying, If you use dmz, you are basically locking up the ports one vp is using and the other cant use it. There is no IF/AND/OR/BUT about this. VRS providers did NOT create this rule!! It the networking protocols!!

simply put- blame it on the OSI model of network models. here is a tidbit that some of you may not know:
the group that created the ISO model met late one night in a bar and began making fun of American pop cluture. As it turns out, they started scribbling names of the seven dwarfs from the Disney movie on a paper cocktail napkin, and somebody joked that seven was a really good number for network layers. The next morning at the standards committee meeting, the group passed around the cocktail napkin and generally agreed that that they had discovered something fundamental the previous night while they were drunk!!!

Back