CI surgery & switch on calender thread!

My date got changed to April 24. Let's hope this is the last time I have to change my date!

Wow deafskeptic! I'll be crossing my fingers that April 24th is the big day for you! I know how frustrated you must be. I had to wait 6 months between my first CI evaluation and surgery. There were many times I felt like giving up, but I'm *so* glad I didn't. The wait was difficult, but definitely worth it! Hang in there!! :)

That what it happened to me. I did took Vicodin for like a week and I felt I had enough then BAM! My stomach was in so much pain! I have GERD (look on Google) and now on medication to get heal. UGH! So next time if I have the surgery I'll ask dr for something else so it won't hurt my stomach again!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this! Fortunately for me, by the time I started having stomach upset, I was on day 3 of Vicodin. By that time, I only had mild ear pain and could get by taking Extra Strength Tylenol.

LakeTahoe: Yes, the next time you have surgery, definitely ask your doctor for something else. I had no idea I was going to react to Vicodin the way I did! I have a weak stomach, but usually don't get sick from medication, so it was a complete surprise to me. :eek3:

Going through candidacy process and Waiting for dates
Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi First (CI)

Surgeries
Old Navygirl 29th January (First CI)
Victoria 7th February (First CI)
Hondu 7th February (First CI)
Marshall (Frag's son) 12th February (Second CI)
Blazing Sunset 15th February (First CI)
Deafskeptic 20th March (First CI)
Ashley 28th March (Bilateral CI)
JohnJoe1011 3rd April (First CI)

Activations
Lily 1st February (second CI)
Lake Tahoe 8th February (First CI)
Blazing Sunset 26th February? (Frist CI)
Devbaby 26th February (First CI)
OldNavygirl 6th March (First CI)
Victoria 6th March (First CI)

Upgrade
Boult 7th February to AB F120

Just wanted to repost.

Victoria(&mum) and Hondu are next on the list with their surgeries on the same day!! Are you ready guys? Or are you both :run:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this! Fortunately for me, by the time I started having stomach upset, I was on day 3 of Vicodin. By that time, I only had mild ear pain and could get by taking Extra Strength Tylenol.

LakeTahoe: Yes, the next time you have surgery, definitely ask your doctor for something else. I had no idea I was going to react to Vicodin the way I did! I have a weak stomach, but usually don't get sick from medication, so it was a complete surprise to me. :eek3:

interesting.... I didn't take vicodin on day 3... I took tyenols and guess what i got uncomfortable stomach -- felt so empty and hungry.... It wasn't hurting at all. very strange feeling and then bam..... vomitted few times during that day. it was nasty... but glad it was over with. was better on day 4 again. it has to be the medicines that my body isn't used with for it.

Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi First (CI)

Surgeries
Deafskeptic 24th April (First CI)

Activations

Upgrade

Just updating!

Good luck to Hondu and Victoria for their surgeries, boult for his upgrade and also Lake Tahoe for activation this week!! :fingersx:

Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi First (CI)

Surgeries

Activations

Upgrade

Just updating!

Good luck to Hondu and Victoria for their surgeries, boult for his upgrade and also Lake Tahoe for activation this week!! :fingersx:

Thank you!! I am getting nervous, but also excited. I am getting everything ready tonight, and then tomorrow night we are headed into New York City to stay overnight near the hospital. I don't feel like driving Wednesday morning nervous with a baby who does not like the car. I figure it will be easier to drive 5 minutes.

Just in case I don't get to post again tomorrow, I will keep you all informed as soon as we get home on Thursday.

Surgeries

Activations

Wow! Three BIGGIES the next 2 days!
:run: :run: :run: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Wish the best for all involved!!! :rockon:

Upgrade

Not really a upgrade but remapping my AB BTE and my PSP as well and IF (I emphasize the "IF") my audie has the new Fidelity 120 for my PSP then will upgrade that. my BTE is Auria not Harmony so can't run Fidelity 120 on that.

So when I undergoes for 2nd CI then I will attempt to get two Harmony BTE then that means can get Fidelity 120 on those.

Not really a upgrade but remapping my AB BTE and my PSP as well and IF (I emphasize the "IF") my audie has the new Fidelity 120 for my PSP then will upgrade that. my BTE is Auria not Harmony so can't run Fidelity 120 on that.

So when I undergoes for 2nd CI then I will attempt to get two Harmony BTE then that means can get Fidelity 120 on those.

My bad, Boult... I'd overlooked you -- hope all goes well today for you and that your audie has the new Fidelity 120.

Just added Deafmama78! We are waiting for Lake Tahoe's activation update!

Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi (First CI)
Deafmama 78 (First CI)

Surgeries

Activations

Upgrade

ME TOO!!!! I was like HUH?????? WTF?? So I am glad I stopped a week after then boom went to ER cuz of my stomach pain was so awful. So I am on medication to heal it. UGH! So at least I am ok!

So I'll let my dr know on next visit to write on my chart not to give me any damn Vicodin!!!

Victoria's surgery

I am so glad the surgery is over. Waiting for this day was hard.

The surgery got off to a late start. It was supposed to be around 8:30am Wednesday and it didn't start until 12:15. Victoria did good in the morning, what a trooper she was. She didn't start getting cranky until around 11:30. She was starving, I could tell, she didn't eat since the night before. When they were ready for her I had my husband take her to the operating room. He said she was happy until they started putting the monitors on her. Then they gave her the gas mask and he said she went out in seconds since she was crying.

They came out around 2:15 and told us surgery was done. Everything went well. We saw her about 3:00 and that is when it got rough. She woke up screaming and out of control. I could barely hold her. My husband could hardly hold her. She ripped her head bandage off twice and she ripped her IV out twice. It took 4 of us to hold her down while the doctors put the head bandage on for the 3rd time (this time they used tape). Victoria is a tough cookie. They won't forget her anytime soon. Finally around 4:30 she calmed down (after 3 doses of morphine). We went up to a room and she was pretty good the rest of the time. She slept on and off, crying a little, but nothing like in the recovery room. I stayed with her at night, which gave me about 1 hour of sleep. Her little roommate was not recovering as well as her, he cried all night long. Poor little babies - the boy had an implant too, and he was also 1 year old. They let us go about 7:30 this morning.

So basically Victoria did good except for in the recovery room.

Today she has been in pretty good spirits. She hasn't wanted to drink her milk... any ideas why? She had some apple juice and ate a little. I am not sure why she doesn't want the milk. She took a few naps today and she is almost back to herself.

I took some pictures, I will try and post them tomorrow.

I am so glad the surgery is over. Waiting for this day was hard.

The surgery got off to a late start. It was supposed to be around 8:30am Wednesday and it didn't start until 12:15. Victoria did good in the morning, what a trooper she was. She didn't start getting cranky until around 11:30. She was starving, I could tell, she didn't eat since the night before. When they were ready for her I had my husband take her to the operating room. He said she was happy until they started putting the monitors on her. Then they gave her the gas mask and he said she went out in seconds since she was crying.

They came out around 2:15 and told us surgery was done. Everything went well. We saw her about 3:00 and that is when it got rough. She woke up screaming and out of control. I could barely hold her. My husband could hardly hold her. She ripped her head bandage off twice and she ripped her IV out twice. It took 4 of us to hold her down while the doctors put the head bandage on for the 3rd time (this time they used tape). Victoria is a tough cookie. They won't forget her anytime soon. Finally around 4:30 she calmed down (after 3 doses of morphine). We went up to a room and she was pretty good the rest of the time. She slept on and off, crying a little, but nothing like in the recovery room. I stayed with her at night, which gave me about 1 hour of sleep. Her little roommate was not recovering as well as her, he cried all night long. Poor little babies - the boy had an implant too, and he was also 1 year old. They let us go about 7:30 this morning.

So basically Victoria did good except for in the recovery room.

Today she has been in pretty good spirits. She hasn't wanted to drink her milk... any ideas why? She had some apple juice and ate a little. I am not sure why she doesn't want the milk. She took a few naps today and she is almost back to herself.

I took some pictures, I will try and post them tomorrow.

Awww glad to hear the surgery went well.... she sure is a Trooper... smile hang in there !!! maybe she's icky from the morphine I guess as I wouldn't want milk but apple juice or soda lol... I'm just guessing here...

That could be due to the metallic taste due to one of the nerves being cut (the one for taste)...it will eventually go away and heal. She probably just did not like how milk tasted now that her mouth tastes a little metallic.

Awww glad to hear the surgery went well.... she sure is a Trooper... smile hang in there !!! maybe she's icky from the morphine I guess as I wouldn't want milk but apple juice or soda lol... I'm just guessing here...

Thanks! She was eyeing my soda tonight!

That could be due to the metallic taste due to one of the nerves being cut (the one for taste)...it will eventually go away and heal. She probably just did not like how milk tasted now that her mouth tastes a little metallic.

I did mention to my husband today about the metallic taste you guys described. It probably could make her not want the milk.

Speaking of nerves, her doctor put monitors on the facial nerves so they could monitor the nerves to make sure they didn't hit or cut a nerve. She has little cuts where the monitors were. Did they do that for you? When I was telling the therapists about it today, they didn't know of that procedure, we were wondering if that is something new the doctors are now doing. I think it's great they did that.

Thanks

Back