CI surgery & switch on calender thread!

Dev, I'm glad everything went well and I hope you have a speedy recovery! :)

Dev,

We've been wondering how you were doing. I'm glad you're back home and everything turned out well!! :)

Hey everyone.. just wanna tell you everything went just fine!. They start my surgery around 830am. It took them like 4 hours.:eek3: I got home around 5 or 6pm. I will write more here later.. becuz i am going back to sleep. I am kinda dizzy!

Glad to hear you are okay Dev. I'm impressed you managed to post on the same day as your surgery. I definitely did not feel up to it until the next day. Take it easy, take all meds and play the sick patient for what it's worth! When I had my CI op my inlaws were down so it was rather useful to play sick and get MIL to cook.

Greema, I felt kind of wierd posting the info about Marshalls CI. Since he is not my child, I almost didnt post it. You know the whole personal info on the net and stuff. But I thought about it and realized that the info was already posted in the CI section, so I reposted it. I hope I did not offend or upset anyone. If I did, please let me know.

I didn't mind you posting Marshall's surgery -- it was already on here and common knowledge, so no big deal. Thanks for posting that...

Hey everyone.. just wanna tell you everything went just fine!. They start my surgery around 830am. It took them like 4 hours.:eek3: I got home around 5 or 6pm. I will write more here later.. becuz i am going back to sleep. I am kinda dizzy!

Hey, there you are! Glad it went well and that you are able to go home the same day, Dev!

Glad to hear you are okay Dev. I'm impressed you managed to post on the same day as your surgery. I definitely did not feel up to it until the next day. Take it easy, take all meds and play the sick patient for what it's worth! When I had my CI op my inlaws were down so it was rather useful to play sick and get MIL to cook.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

WHOOO! I am glad it went well!! I did the same thing...went in hospital at 11 15 and left the hospital at around 9 pm. So I had a long day! Other wise I am glad your surgery went well!

Take it easy!

Hi I'm glad everything went well and I hope you recover from it soon!

I'm sure you are glad that is over with! Now, on to healing and hookup day.

Hey everyone.. I am doing fine now. Still a lil dizzy. Head and Ear is sore.

Anyway I will tell you everything that happened there.

Mother and I got there around 615am. We got taken to a small room. I had to change and start laying on the bed. The lady checked my temp, it was 99.7. She asked me if i have a fever or anything cuz of my temp. I said, "umm no" Then she check my blood pressure, it was kinda high. 141. I told her it probably cause i was nervous. Then she did a blood test on me. I was like i have to do that again? She said "yeah just to be sure everything is ok" I dont really like doing those cause it kinda hurt me. LoL. Then few doctor came in to meet me and let me know they gonna be helping my surgeon Dr. Jacob. They told me it would take about 4 hours for the surgery to get done. I was like* GEEZ THAT LONG??" LoL. They also told me i may have to stay the night. I was thinkin" ugh that wouldnt be fun at all"

So anyway, a nurse came in told me and mom that they are ready for me in the operation room. So mom had to go in the waiting room. I was on bed as the nurse was pushing me there. I end up crying a little because I was really scare and i wanted my mom by me. The operation room smell bad.. and it was really cold in there. The nurse asked me what surgery was going to be done. I said" Cochlear Implant on left ear" She asked me who my doctor was. I said"Dr Jacob" and last question she asked me if i was allegey(sp?) to any med. I said" no"

Then they had me move to next bed. They was putting warm blanket over me, and some heating pad over both legs and arms. This dr about to put IV in me. I freaked out. He said" i will numb it for you" So he did that.. He did had some trouble getting my vein to pop up. Took him a while. Then he got the IV in. I felt it a tiny bit but not that bad at all. Dr Jacob came in.. he smile and wave at me. I waved back. Then they put them bunch of stickey circle on my body.I felt weird cause he was putting one near my boobs lol. Then here came the gas mask. I wasnt thinking at all.. next thing i know it made me pass out in like 5 min.

I woke up.. It felt like i been sleeping for 10 sec. I was thinking* umm that was fast" I was all high and dizzy bad. I had tubes on my nose to help me breath or something. I didnt feel bad pain at all. But if i try to move my head i can feel the pain. It wasnt that bad. The nurse ask me if i want pain kill med in my IV. Of course i said YES! LOL. I had like 3 or 4 of those. Oh.. i also remmy that when i woke up.. the IV was on my other hand. I asked nurse.. she said it didnt work on my other hand that they had to add a long and thick one on my right hand. I was like"good thing they did that while i was sleeping"
My throat was all dry up. So i asked nurse for ice. She feed me some ice! Felt better! She keep checking on my blood pressure like every 10 min.
Oh, for past few months i had some really bad sinus plm. where i would wake up to blow my nose alot. Now my nose feel better and clean. I can breath!! I told my mom about it. She joke around saying* really? maybe i should ask for that surgery so my sinus can get better"

Then i got moved to another room. I asked for my family. They got them to come up my room. Everyone asked me how i was feeling. I said i was high and dizzy. I also felt like i have to throw up. I had to pee really bad.. so mom help me out going to the bathroom as she carry my iv. I had some trouble going pee. I would go pee for a sec then it would stop.. then it would come out again then stop.. back and forth. LOL. I was in there for like 10 min. Mom keep laughing at me. Then i went back on bed cuz i was still dizzy bad. Nurse keep coming in to check my blood pressure and see if everything ok. i said i feel some lil pain on my head. So she gave me some pain killer pill. It kinda help. SHe also gave me some ice water to drink. and some cracker. I wasnt feeling that well to eat it.. Felt like i have to puke but nothing come up.
I keep taken a short nap. Mom went home! Dad and lil sis stay with me.
a hour later or so so. Nurse asked me how i am feeling. I lied saying.. OH im much better. I lied cuz i wanted to just go home. I was still dizzy tho.
So she took both IV out of my hands. I changed my clothes. and Got on the wheel chair. Then got inside the car. When i got home.. dad help me inside the house. When i got in my room.. I end up throwing up all over the floor. I couldnt make it on time to the bathroom or trash bag. ugh!! NASTY!! My dad cleaned it up for me. I went lay on my bed. Felt much better.

Mom went to pick up my pain killer pill. I took one.. then went to bed. I slept off and on. Then morning i felt so sick to my tummy!!! I was dizzy and almost pass out. My mom called the doc asked about Anti nauseous(sp?) pills. The nurse went ahead and call Walgreen. MOm went to go pick it up. Those pill made me feel so much better to my tummy. I ate me few crackers and chicken soup.

I didnt get any sore throat. Or i did not get any LOUD Tinnitus noise. Thanks goodness =)

My incision look like a "C" kinda.

My head and ear still hurt a little if i try to get off the bed or move. It really hard to lift my head up. I have to use my hand to lift it up. lol
I feel kinda fine now!

Mom asked me if I was to do this surgery over again! I said in about 5 to 10 years later!!! LOL. I didnt like how bad i was dizzy!! and feeling sick to my tummy!

Mom asked told me that Dr Jacob was talking to her when surgery was done. He told her he had some trouble getting my implant to beep. That he realize it was his testing machine that wasnt working! They had to fix it. Then they finally hear the beep. So everything is just fine now.:bowdown:

I bet you are so happy it's over. You did great! I am sorry you still feel dizzy.

Thanks for the details. It helps to know what you guys are going through with the surgery.

Feel better.

Glad you made it through.

Dev,

Congradulations.

Using the hand to lift your head. Told you. lol Doesn't hurt as bad that way does it.

You didn't eat the lemon jello at home did you? lol They told me the upset stomach was caused by the pain medication and the anastesia wearing off. I also had the oxygen tubes for several hours to try and get the anastesia out of my system.

As far as the bathroom afterwards, I think normal. I wasn't told but I think it was because of a cathader. They kept the IV in me until the next morning for the pain medication, antibiotic and fluid. Made me go to the bathroom every 2 hours. Glad you were feeling well enough to go home so you didn't have to get up every 2 hours like I did. At least I hope.

Take care and get well soon.
Steve

Glad the surgery went well Dev...

My re-Mapping appt is on Jan 31st with my new Freedom. It is okay. I do like the old one N-24. O well, I'll get used to it.

Hi Devbaby,

Glad you are safely home and resting up. I felt dizzy as well and it continued right until I got hooked up! It disappeared completely at that point. It's a normal side effect of the surgery although not everyone gets it. Just give yourself extra time to do things.

Such a relief about your cleared nose - you were concerned about having to blow your nose with the incision.

Dev,

Congradulations.

Using the hand to lift your head. Told you. lol Doesn't hurt as bad that way does it.

You didn't eat the lemon jello at home did you? lol They told me the upset stomach was caused by the pain medication and the anastesia wearing off. I also had the oxygen tubes for several hours to try and get the anastesia out of my system.

As far as the bathroom afterwards, I think normal. I wasn't told but I think it was because of a cathader. They kept the IV in me until the next morning for the pain medication, antibiotic and fluid. Made me go to the bathroom every 2 hours. Glad you were feeling well enough to go home so you didn't have to get up every 2 hours like I did. At least I hope.

Take care and get well soon.
Steve

the nurse did asked me if i wanted any Jello.. i said no!! LOL.I dont like jello that much anyway.

Dev,

I'm glad everything worked out well!

Aside from a little nausea, it sounds like you're enjoying a smooth recovery!

I found your comment about the fact that you could breathe easier after your surgery interesting because I felt the same way. I've had allergies for many years and it wasn't until my first CI surgery that my head and sinuses seemed to feel clearer than usual.

In addition, prior to my CI surgeries I used to have problems with my ears popping. Now I don't. My surgeon said this was due to the fluid that was released from the cochlea during surgery.

Don't be surprised if you feel much better tomorrow, but be warned that you may feel worse the day after. Some people feel great 48 hours after surgery, but then experience a "rebound" effect of feeling extremely tired. If that happens to you, don't worry. After both of my surgeries, it took about a week for me to feel 100% like myself again.

I'm glad your surgery is finally behind you and can't wait to read all about your activation! :)

Last edited:
I had some trouble going pee. I would go pee for a sec then it would stop.. then it would come out again then stop.. back and forth.

Dev, glad everything went well!

As for the trouble with peeing, I am not surprised. It could be the catheter, also, the anesthesia and the painkillers can do that to you. When I had my CI surgery, I had trouble peeing for a couple of weeks. Not the first time it's happened to me - I have had to take painkillers in the past due to my hip dysplasia and it makes it hard for me to pee sometimes.

Going through candidacy process and Waiting for dates :)
Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi First (CI)

Surgeries :dj:
Devbaby 25th January (First CI)
Old Navygirl 29th January (First CI)
Victoria 7th February (First CI)
Hondu 7th February (First CI)
Marshall (Frag's son) 12th February (Second CI)
Blazing Sunset 15th February (First CI)
Deafskeptic 20th March (First CI)
Ashley 28th March (Bilateral CI)

Activations :rockon:
Lily 1st February (second CI)
Lake Tahoe 8th February (First CI)
Blazing Sunset 26th February? (Frist CI)
Devbaby 26th February (First CI)
OldNavygirl 6th March (First CI)
Victoria 6th March (First CI)

Upgrade :afro:
Boult 7th February to AB F120

Just wanted to say good luck to all.

DEV,

Glad things went well. Hope you are feeling better each day. Good choice skipping the Jello. LOL!

Back