CI surgery & switch on calender thread!

Dev,

Here's wishing you a smooth recovery and all the best for tomorrow! Good luck! :)

i accually mean 2nd anniversary.. i just can't believe that i forgot what date... its in march or april :blush:

but there are times i'm sometimes thinking of getting 2nd one.. but i rather yet wait... i have strong doubt that insurance will cover..

DeafSCUBA,

All of the 3 CI companies have people who specifically work on your behalf to obtain insurance approval for a unilateral or bilateral CI. More and more insurance companies are approving bilaterals, so if this is something you're considering, you might want to talk to your CI center for more information.

Not that I'm pressuring you to get a second CI...I respect your decision to wait (or not to receive a second CI at all). :)

Dev, When you come out of surgery, and they ask if you are in pain, even if you are not, say you are! Morphine with a oxycodone chaser! If you dont need it then , you may later.
Relax! When I am facing something that may really suck, I always remind myself of all the people that did the exact same thing before me and came out fine.
Example, Army basic training. Millions of people throughout the history of our country have been through it and came out fine.
Police academy-same.
Surgeries and injuries and so on.
Just remind yourself of all of the people that have undergone CI surgery and paved the way for you to do the same. Think of those that paved the way 15 years ago. Thei contributions have made it as safe as it is today.
I would say to get some sleep, and you'll be fine. But we all know that you will not be sleeping much tonight. Thats ok, you will get plenty of sleep tomorrow.
You will be in my thoughts tomorrow! Good Luck

Lillys dad gave some excellent advice.

I'd like to add the suggestion that you request anti-nausea medication before surgery. I know several CI users who failed to do this and were sick afterwards. I requested anti-nausea medication before both of my surgeries and felt fine afterwards.

As Lillys dad also said, it's important to keep on top of the pain. Even if you feel slight twinges of pain, let your nurse or doctor know. When you're at home, take your pain medication whenever you feel the slightest amount of pain. It's also a good idea to take pain medication right before bedtime (even if you feel fine) so you're not awakened in the middle of the night by pain.

Hope these suggestions help! :)

I'd like to add the suggestion that you request anti-nausea medication before surgery. I know several CI users who failed to do this and were sick afterwards. I requested anti-nausea medication before both of my surgeries and felt fine afterwards.

Good idea. The alternative, when you're off the IV and can't keep down pills, is nasty.

I've also heard (anecdotally from a CI user, but I looked it up online, too) that IV dexamethasone, also called Decadron, during surgery can greatly reduce post-surgical nausea. Does anyone know if this is standard practice?

anti nausia (sp) is very important! I forgot about that. Lilly got sick in the recovery room following her first CI. I told the antesthisiologist this for the second one and they gave her medication for that. This time, no vomit. Just a sad little whimper when she was waking up.
Also, it is important to medicate at the first sign of pain, for the first day or two. By the time you feel the pain, it si going to get worse before it gets better. If you wait until it really hurts, you could be in pain for quite a while before the meds kick in. When it comes to post operative stuff, I am a firm believer in "better living through pharmacuticals".

Hear Again and Lillys Dad, Thank for the advice..I will keep that on my mind!:ty:

I do know i wont be sleeping good tonight. I have to wake up around 4:15am.. Gotta leave here around 5:15am. I have to be there at 6am. The surgery will start around 8 or 8:30am.

Hear Again and Lillys Dad, Thank for the advice..I will keep that on my mind!:ty:

I do know i wont be sleeping good tonight. I have to wake up around 4:15am.. Gotta leave here around 5:15am. I have to be there at 6am. The surgery will start around 8 or 8:30am.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!

So to recap..... and maybe this list can be copied and pasted for the next update.

Going through candidacy process and Waiting for dates
Deafskeptic (First CI)
Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi First (CI)

Surgeries
Devbaby 25th January (First CI)
Old Navygirl 29th January (First CI)
Victoria 7th February (First CI)
Blazing Sunset 15th February (First CI)
Ashley 28th March (First CI)

Activations
Lily 1st February (2nd CI)
Blazing Sunset 26th February?

Upgrade
Boult 7th February to AB F120

A special update for deafskeptic - she deserves it!

Going through candidacy process and Waiting for dates
Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi First (CI)

Surgeries
Devbaby 25th January (First CI)
Old Navygirl 29th January (First CI)
Victoria 7th February (First CI)
Blazing Sunset 15th February (First CI)
Deafskeptic 20th March (First CI)
Ashley 28th March (First CI)
Marshall (Fragmenter's son) ?date? (Second CI)

Activations
Lily 1st February (2nd CI)
Blazing Sunset 26th February?
Devbaby 26th February
OldNavygirl 6th March

Upgrade
Boult 7th February to AB F120

R2D2, My Activation is Feb 26th!

I updated the chart above - I still had a window of time to edit the post! Have also included Old Navygirl's activation date which she put in another thread.

Way to go deafskeptic on the new date.!!! Congrats !!!
An update for the update: Ashley is getting both 1st and 2nd same surgery. She is only the second or third bilateral same day case for her doctor.

Back