CI surgery, any post surgery advice?

:) It's not just this thread per se. There has been a lot of "go get a CI" in threads throughout the forum (and some of them are off the thread's topic) lately, so I thought I'd show the 2 way street from now on.

However, about my candidacy -- Medically I pretty much am the poster child for CI candidacy - however.... I don't go for other people's POV. I don't go for Medicals POV, I go for my point of view. I am grateful I can make decisions for myself, and say that I don't even need a CI to live.
:h5: The power of freewill is a beautiful thing.

:) It's not just this thread per se. There has been a lot of "go get a CI" in threads throughout the forum (and some of them are off the thread's topic) lately, so I thought I'd show the 2 way street from now on.

However, about my candidacy -- Medically I pretty much am the poster child for CI candidacy - however.... I don't go for other people's POV. I don't go for Medicals POV, I go for my point of view. I am grateful I can make decisions for myself, and say that I don't even need a CI to live.

:) just giving you a hard time PFH . I agree with you on that point, if something happened to Li's CIs, we wouldn't miss a beat and I'd still be here waxing on about her fine command of language and brilliant future and wanting to be part of a deaf+hearing community. Oh, and nice progress on the Patrol.

:) just giving you a hard time PFH . I agree with you on that point, if something happened to Li's CIs, we wouldn't miss a beat and I'd still be here waxing on about her fine command of language and brilliant future and wanting to be part of a deaf+hearing community. Oh, and nice progress on the Patrol.

:) All in good fun.

Glad you feel that way as well.

Great, thanks for the advice people. I suppose it'll come down to how the anesthesia affects me and how my head feels. I'll have to try that hair braiding idea.... altho I picture them pulling it out in order to get hair to shave? Maybe I should just cut off the area I hope they'll stick with shaving down? Does it matter? It'll certainly make braiding it easier.

At this point, my surgery might be rescheduled because I'm waiting to hear back if my surgeon was going to implant or can implant the 90k Helix electrode. So annoying that they don't tell you about more things upfront.
My story: I've avoided getting the CI for 15 years. I didn't want something newly invented in my head/ear. But recently I've come around to realize I'm better off getting it because I don't want to adapt into Deaf society because frankly, I haven't grown up with any and never am around any, so I was better off taking an approach to adapt better into hearing society. Also, I felt like I wouldn't be as good/safe a mom with a hearing loss than I would be with the implant; as well as how much better I'd adapt/succeed with my career with the implant since I've spent the past 8 years trying to stick with careers that don't require a ton of communication, and it was too limited for my liking.

So, I know there are a serious handful of Deaf people that are against CIs and feel like it's something being pressured on them and others, but unless you're a child, it's not. It takes some serious consideration and motivation to get to this point of getting a CI. So, seriously, those of you against the CI's should I don't know, quit being so rude about it. Not everyone with a hearing problem can/wants to fit into a Deaf world that they feel they don't even belong in. It's like trying to tell someone with bad vision, but who isn't fully blind, to just give up and start acting like they're blind. I'm sure if I WAS Deaf, I'd prefer to not get the CI myself, but I'm not.

:)

Great, thanks for the advice people. I suppose it'll come down to how the anesthesia affects me and how my head feels. I'll have to try that hair braiding idea.... altho I picture them pulling it out in order to get hair to shave? Maybe I should just cut off the area I hope they'll stick with shaving down? Does it matter? It'll certainly make braiding it easier.

At this point, my surgery might be rescheduled because I'm waiting to hear back if my surgeon was going to implant or can implant the 90k Helix electrode. So annoying that they don't tell you about more things upfront.
My story: I've avoided getting the CI for 15 years. I didn't want something newly invented in my head/ear. But recently I've come around to realize I'm better off getting it because I don't want to adapt into Deaf society because frankly, I haven't grown up with any and never am around any, so I was better off taking an approach to adapt better into hearing society. Also, I felt like I wouldn't be as good/safe a mom with a hearing loss than I would be with the implant; as well as how much better I'd adapt/succeed with my career with the implant since I've spent the past 8 years trying to stick with careers that don't require a ton of communication, and it was too limited for my liking.

So, I know there are a serious handful of Deaf people that are against CIs and feel like it's something being pressured on them and others, but unless you're a child, it's not. It takes some serious consideration and motivation to get to this point of getting a CI. So, seriously, those of you against the CI's should I don't know, quit being so rude about it. Not everyone with a hearing problem can/wants to fit into a Deaf world that they feel they don't even belong in. It's like trying to tell someone with bad vision, but who isn't fully blind, to just give up and start acting like they're blind. I'm sure if I WAS Deaf, I'd prefer to not get the CI myself, but I'm not.

As much as I appreciate your politeness in this post... I really am rubbed the wrong way with the section in bold. It's like you are saying all the deaf people can't parent.

As much as I appreciate your politeness in this post... I really am rubbed the wrong way with the section in bold. It's like you are saying all the deaf people can't parent.
I must disagree with PFH on the politeness part. First bolded makes me wonder why you are here? The OP not PFH.

Second bolded , I am one of those partially blinded people who will eventually make it all the way there. Since you feel I should not act like a blind person, would you like to have me drive your children to school??

:eek3: {CI neutral. I love everybody!}

I stated "I" don't feel like I can be a good/safe mom with the condition I am in. Again, i'm not "Deaf", I don't sign, and no one around me signs, and I am limited to lip reading and hearing whatever I can to get by. And after 25 years, it's complicated enough handling it on my own, but I feel pretty sure I'm not going to be the best parent I can be without taking a step up, which would be getting the implant, since learning ASL isn't going to benefit me.

I'm on this site because even though I'm not Deaf nor associated with the Deaf community, there is still a handful of people that are in between both worlds and we come on here because there are still people on here who can relate to each other, even though I, and probably others, realize Deaf people just believe we're being insulting because we don't fit in with them.

Again, if someone grew up in Deaf community, they know how to get by, they have resources and people around them to make it more pleasant. Others of us, don't. We have the opportunity to choose one way or the other and if we grow up in a hearing society with very little resources, it feels right to blend on into it the best we can.

Alright.

Question - In what method do you think you would be a better parent if you could hear?

I just want to learn. I will not use this against you.

*edit*
I KNOW for a fact you arent being insulting. I have the biggest issue against the cause of people who are in the middle of both worlds. If you took a look around, you can see a few of my posts and threads dedicated to this issue. I do honestly feel bad for people like you. Nobody needs to struggle in life.

Simply that I'd be able to hear strangers.

What irks me the most is the idea that I've got my kid with me in public, to shop or whatever, and you ever notice how strangers talk to babies/kids ALL the time? So the idea that some strangers are just going to talk to my kids, and inevitably me, and I won't understand what they're saying, creeps me out. That's the safety factor that I feel I'd fail at if I don't hear for my kids sake. It's easy to handle on my own cause I just don't answer to anyone, but it's another issue when it comes to someone I'm to protect.

Simply that I'd be able to hear strangers.

What irks me the most is the idea that I've got my kid with me in public, to shop or whatever, and you ever notice how strangers talk to babies/kids ALL the time? So the idea that some strangers are just going to talk to my kids, and inevitably me, and I won't understand what they're saying, creeps me out. That's the safety factor that I feel I'd fail at if I don't hear for my kids sake. It's easy to handle on my own cause I just don't answer to anyone, but it's another issue when it comes to someone I'm to protect.

Been there. The worst part as a father is... "I want to steal your beautiful daughter..." Over, over, over and over.......

But generally, its manageable.

Been there. The worst part as a father is... "I want to steal your beautiful daughter..." Over, over, over and over.......

But generally, its manageable.

Haha. Probably manageable, but I'm afraid I'd never take my kids anywhere without my husband and I'd raise them to be sheltered like I choose to be. The sheltered/loner life may work for me, but it's not something you expect to work for anyone, nor does anyone want a kid to grow up sheltered. But ya... there's many reasons. But it's overall easier that I just get the implant and adapt on my own compared to remaining HOH and trying to get all my family and friends to adapt to me. After 10 years, it doesn't even work very well... I"m more adaptable of a person than anyone I know is.

Haha. Probably manageable, but I'm afraid I'd never take my kids anywhere without my husband and I'd raise them to be sheltered like I choose to be. The sheltered/loner life may work for me, but it's not something you expect to work for anyone, nor does anyone want a kid to grow up sheltered. But ya... there's many reasons. But it's overall easier that I just get the implant and adapt on my own compared to remaining HOH and trying to get all my family and friends to adapt to me. After 10 years, it doesn't even work very well... I"m more adaptable of a person than anyone I know is.

Why choose to be sheltered?

Why choose to be sheltered?

Was easy and weren't many options. It was either learn to enjoy being by myself or going out and being annoyed around hearing people (cause I didn't grow around deaf people). There's just nothing great about being at a group thing when you can't even understand more than one person to the point you get lost. And there also wasn't anything great about societies idea of a "party." So, being sheltered/alone just turned out a lot more awesome.

Hi panda :wave:

so I see that you're scheduled to get CI soon. you're aware of side effect?

Was easy and weren't many options. It was either learn to enjoy being by myself or going out and being annoyed around hearing people (cause I didn't grow around deaf people). There's just nothing great about being at a group thing when you can't even understand more than one person to the point you get lost. And there also wasn't anything great about societies idea of a "party." So, being sheltered/alone just turned out a lot more awesome.

how depressing, darling.

Do you expect the CI to resolve all these issues you just mentioned above?

Another thing: You said this: "Cause I didn't grow around deaf people"... Question related to that, Do you think deaf people are comfortable with society and such?

Back