CI surgery, any post surgery advice?

pandaundercover

Reaction score
Getting my implant next thursday. Any advice for when I get home?

Spend the day laying on a sofa, eat soup, watch TV all day and get everyone to be your slave for a week.

Haha, my husband is planning to be with me the first 4 days and slave me. I heard from someone that it is recommended to sleep upright for the first 5 days, is that true? Sounds like a sucky deal, but I'm trying to prepare myself for 5 days of crappy sleeping.

Haha, my husband is planning to be with me the first 4 days and slave me. I heard from someone that it is recommended to sleep upright for the first 5 days, is that true? Sounds like a sucky deal, but I'm trying to prepare myself for 5 days of crappy sleeping.

No. You don't have to sleep upright unless you find it more comfortable that way. You'll have to sleep on the other side for awhile though.

As I recall the "worst part" was the sounds like at Niagara Falls when I finally awaken after the operation-eight hours later.Lasted a few hours- I stayed in the hospital-over night. It was extremely quiet when I got home-for the next 4 weeks. Although had some pills for pain-didn't experience much. Just took it easy. Good luck in fast recovery from the operation.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activate Aug/07

I was able to sleep laying down first night. Never had a problem sleeping. Altho first night I woke up a few times to louddddddddddd ringing. but I was warned it would happen and not to worry its usual.. not much pain really at all throughout recovery. More discomfort than anything else. I still feel a bit odd on implanted side when i sleep cause i can feel the bump.. but its not bad at all.. well worth the small sacrafice for the large gain i recieved

didn't anyone mention that getting a CI destroys your sex life? i feel sorry for your husband. buy him a blow up doll before surgery

Ignore the last few comments (DDU, Post from hell (sums it up eh) deafgal001 etc), they are immature.

I had no problems sleeping on my implanted side from day one. It depends on your comfort/recovery.

I had no problems with my recovery although I did get tired very easily for about 2 weeks and slept quite alot. I drove my mum to the airport (not far) 3 days post operation, although I shouldn't for few more days as my neck was so stiff/sore.

Expect some dizzness, nauesa, loud tinnitus post operation but hope you won't have to go through that.

Enjoy the recovery, watch loads of TV/DVDs, being pampered.

I was dizzy the first week I had my CI, especially on the 1st day. It'll eventually wear off. And that's good that you'll have your hubby around to help out.

For her first surgery a few years ago, my daughter had a really miserable first night sleep coming off the anesthesia, tossing, turning, vomiting (and losing her pain meds by doing so). So for the second surgery, last year, we stocked up on movies, and sat up together all night watching her favorites (so, basically, we watched Monsters Inc. again and again :) ) and eating ice pops. She still got sick to her stomach, but the rest of the night turned out to be so much fun that we look back on it as a very easy transition. I highly recommend the propped up/sitting up to sleep plus Tylenol plus slave approach.

Try to pull or braid your hair as far away from the surgery site as possible -- they'll shave less of it and after surgery you won't have as much stickiness to live with for a week until you can wash your hair (or your hair will be in a place that you can wash without affecting the new incision). We braided Li's hair back on the side, and although we had to remove the band (it had metallic threads, oops), most of the braid remained in place. Was less painful to remove the bandages the next morning without a lot of hair caught.

for every person who says "get a CI" deserve a person to say "don't get a CI"

Who said "get a CI" in this thread? Just wondering, bc I was thinking of suggesting that PFH might be a great candidate and didn't want to be redundant.

Who said "get a CI" in this thread? Just wondering, bc I was thinking of suggesting that PFH might be a great candidate and didn't want to be redundant.

:) It's not just this thread per se. There has been a lot of "go get a CI" in threads throughout the forum (and some of them are off the thread's topic) lately, so I thought I'd show the 2 way street from now on.

However, about my candidacy -- Medically I pretty much am the poster child for CI candidacy - however.... I don't go for other people's POV. I don't go for Medicals POV, I go for my point of view. I am grateful I can make decisions for myself, and say that I don't even need a CI to live.

Back