CI, Static Electricity and Winter Coats

momtotoes

Reaction score
We went coat shopping today and tried to find a coat without a synthetic lining.

No luck.

OK, Parents who have BTDT....

...what is the real scoop with winter coats and toddlers with CIs?

Do we really have to go cotton flannel lining, or can we get a nice, warm fleece?

I've never had problems with my fleece jackets or fleece linings, static-wise...

We went coat shopping today and tried to find a coat without a synthetic lining.

No luck.

Do we really have to go cotton flannel lining, or can we get a nice, warm fleece?

I asked my audiologist about the static thing because what i do causes me to get some big shocks. :) she said that as long as the shock isn't disispated directly onto the processer (as long as i don't touch the processer when I've go the buildup in me) there really shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you should ask how much it might cost to have them reupload the programs into the ci if she should zap it. Do you have a back up processer so it wouldn't be a problem if she touched the thing and zapped it?

You could also ask if you'll see a error message if the thing gets a zap.

also you might ask if it zaps all 4 programs or just the one it's on at the time. If it's just the one program I don't think that the fleece lining would be a big deal, but remember I don't have a small child using the CI, it's just me. :) good luck.

ugh, winter coats! I was wearing mine the other day and i was reminded of the awful sound the back of my earings make when it scrapes against the lining of my hood, like this horrible scratching sound that could make somebody vomit. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. It's right at the microphone of my HA and ugh, it's another to make me have a seizure!

Sorry that's way offtopic, lol. But still slightly relivent.

ugh, winter coats! I was wearing mine the other day and i was reminded of the awful sound the back of my earings make when it scrapes against the lining of my hood, like this horrible scratching sound that could make somebody vomit. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. It's right at the microphone of my HA and ugh, it's another to make me have a seizure!

Sorry that's way offtopic, lol. But still slightly relivent.

It's kinda like bees buzzing over your HA microphone. I hate that.
OK back to the topic.

I'm surprised there are no CIs that let you reload your own programs. Obviously I understand the liability issues of letting a patient program their own without an audiologist supervising (hate to admit it, since I wish I could tweak my aids now and then), but reloading a preset program doesn't really seem all that dangerous, and it's not like it would be that difficult - you're basically just reflashing it.

No luck.

momtotoes, there was a discussion on another thread somewhere where lillysdad named a particular brand of a coat for his Lilly -- I cannot remember what it was and hopefully lillysdad will see this thread. Also I remember srsoars171 stated something about the brand lillysdad suggested. Hopefully srsoars171 will see this thread also.

Hannah Anderson. My wife said she couldn't find anyhting in the current catalog.
This might be an option to keep her head warm though.

Baby: Hats & Mittens

The top row of hats are called Pilot hats. They are 100% cptton. We were told about them through CID. We tried em and liked them. Our only problem is that Lilly is now to old/big to wear them. I hope this helps. If I find any gorl coats, I'll let eveyone know!

Hi..I have a three year old that's been implanted since 15 months old. This is our 3rd season with the coats and I've always purchased hers from the Children's Place. I've never had a problem with static from her coat. She just was able to get the Freedom BTE last Wednesday and her audiologist said there haven't been issues with static so far (at least here in Illinois) so we'll see. She did wipe her program once this last May on a slide at the park...she was with my Mom who "forgot" and let her go down a plastic slide over and over...i got the dreaded wrench but was able to move it to another program until we could get in to the audiologist.

Cara
Mom to Isabel (7) and Emma (3)

Hi, Cara! Thanks for the info!

I don't see an intro thread... I'd love to hear more about you and your daughter.

Hi Cara!
We started our search for a winter coat also. No luck yet. I was told that the kids cloths store Carters has only natural fibers in their clothes. We are gonna try to get there soon. I'll let ya know if we find anything.

Disregard my last post. I just went to carters website. They show two coats. Both are 100% polyester lined. Oh well..... the search goes on. Until you find one, remember, if you use a spray on static guard on the liner, it will reduce the static. We carry dryer sheets in our diaper bag to wipe lilly in the winter to prevent static shock. Aloso, spray your carpet/rugs to prevent static shock in the winter.

Wish the FDA cautioned to the parents of their Deaf babies about this situation.

It makes me very furious to seeing more and more Deaf babies get the cochlear implants without double check with FDA. They go through suffer with their CI, Static Electricity and Winter Coats

When they get older and disown their parents because they are disappointed what the parents who are not accept for who they are. :pissed:

You're entitled to your opinion Kalista but the coat static thing is not harmful to anyone. It's more inconvenient and would involve the child and parent having to go back to the audiologist to get the program reloaded. It's a possibility but it doesn't often happen.

I went down a plastic slide the other day with my daughter (I'm the one with a CI not her) and completely forgot about the static thingy until I felt some electricity on me! But it wasn't a problem.

This is a good time to disspell antoher CI rumor. There is not 1 reported incident of ESD shock destroying the implanted portion of a CI.

There's alot of hoodies are cotton, but not 100% because of logo.

I'm wear hoodies that's Fox Racing and its seems fine with CI.

Just how is a child "suffering" because of static electricity and winter coats Kalista? OY!

Good point, Lilly's Dad!!!

I'm not so worried cause if the static wipes the map out, I still have my backup processor to wear.

So, Kalista, stop trying to find reasons to scare people away from CIs. :roll:

Wish the FDA cautioned to the parents of their Deaf babies about this situation.

It makes me very furious to seeing more and more Deaf babies get the cochlear implants without double check with FDA. They go through suffer with their CI, Static Electricity and Winter Coats

When they get older and disown their parents because they are disappointed what the parents who are not accept for who they are. :pissed:

*Rolling my eyes big time* This is the same as complaining that the FDA didn't warn about CIs because there exists {gasp!} electrical sockets everywhere. Get a clue!!!!

In this case, static electricity from playground equipement is a far cry from the real thing. At worst, the processor needs to be remapped...nothing more nothing less. The implant itself is never harmed nor is the child endangered in anyway.

FYI - I have gone down those slides myself many times with my kids...no problem.

Back