Ci removal

Shoshana

Reaction score
Has anyone done it? I have thought about it for awhile...I was implanted at 14 (almost 15) and since have had really bad vertigo attacks along with other symptoms. Ive been to many Doctors since, and have had many test done--EEG and CAT scan came back "incinclusive" because of the implant. Ive been going in circles and not getting any answers! Ive told my Surgeon I wanted it out a few years back and he was obviously against it. While the Doctors say its not related to the implant--they cant give me answers and I dont think its a random happening that all this stuff started happening after I got the implant! I understand it works well for a lot of people...but maybe this is my bodys way of regecting it? I mean it IS a bulky foreign object in the head!

I am NOT looking to debate CI good/bad I just want to know if anyone has had the CI removed?

:ty:

Travis, aka smithtr has had an explant I believe. You might try PMing him.

Thanks Jillio!

I haven't brought this up to my parents yet...I dont know what how my family would feel, they are all hearing and none sign. It took my dad 19 years to admit I had any hearing loss at all, let alone that I am Deaf.

Ive had my right side removed 2 times. (see my sig for more detailed history). My last removal still allowed the new implant installed to work again.

Are you asking what it is like to have it removed? Cause its just a surgery that takes 2 hours and heard its a hard surgery because they have to make sure that they dont pull out the cochlea as well as not disturbing the body's balance.

Ive had my right side removed 2 times. (see my sig for more detailed history). My last removal still allowed the new implant installed to work again.

Are you asking what it is like to have it removed? Cause its just a surgery that takes 2 hours and heard its a hard surgery because they have to make sure that they dont pull out the cochlea as well as not disturbing the body's balance.

Yea...I guess my biggest concern would be the risk, and any after effects of having it removed (balance issues, etc.)?

I think 2 of my deaf friends had their CI removed. Not too long ago. But I'm not sure how long they had to adjust themselves to get used to not having a CI anymore. I'll have to ask them!

I think someone posted about a deaf guy who had constantly dizzy then decided to remove it. FOund out the the CI itself have mold. :shock: He was shocked to see the molded CI due to the infection causing him to feel dizzy or anything.

I know a member AD will correct me for this. It's the Oddball the dog lover.

Welcome back to human world after your CI removal. :lol:
I have several friends who had their CI removal, and it was successful. They felt so much better without having them due to less vertigo, and migraines.

Welcome back to human world after your CI removal. :lol:
I have several friends who had their CI removal, and it was successful. They felt so much better without having them due to less vertigo, and migraines.

wow! thats what I suffer from :( and Its getting worse and worse! Like start to black out during an attack, not remember anything, lose control of my motor functions and Im like dead weight because I cant control my body :( this is awful and I hate it!

I feel it is the implants fault, but the doctors will not admit it! Maybe because it will count against the sucess rate? I dont know.

I feel I would be better off without it, and now I see it has happened to other people too!

I think someone posted about a deaf guy who had constantly dizzy then decided to remove it. FOund out the the CI itself have mold. :shock: He was shocked to see the molded CI due to the infection causing him to feel dizzy or anything.

:shock::shock: WOW... I would be freaked out! that's nasty!

wow! thats what I suffer from :( and Its getting worse and worse! Like start to black out during an attack, not remember anything, lose control of my motor functions and Im like dead weight because I cant control my body :( this is awful and I hate it!

I feel it is the implants fault, but the doctors will not admit it! Maybe because it will count against the sucess rate? I dont know.

I feel I would be better off without it, and now I see it has happened to other people too!

Oh? Losing control of your motor function... That is not a good sign. you are soooo YOUNG. I hope you plan to see doctor for it and let doctor knows that what if it causes by your head (possible CI?)

You should not feel suffer not to know what's going on with your body. Im sorry that i feel you do need to talk with your parents how you feel with your body being numb or whatever. Have someone else (doctor) to take alook at your head.

you know sometimes, following your gut/or hunch usually get right if you think ci causes everything with your body.

Yea...I guess my biggest concern would be the risk, and any after effects of having it removed (balance issues, etc.)?

I think the implant is the bigger risk than explanting. So yeah I wouldn't worry about it. But always talk to the surgeon and under the testing they have you do.

Gross.

no. it's because it will be a very expensive malpractice lawsuit for them and they're just covering their ass. You must seek OTHER medical professionals for different opinions. You need to do this immediately. I don't want think to about what will happen if you lose a control of your motor functions in public place or while driving.

Oh? Losing control of your motor function... That is not a good sign. you are soooo YOUNG. I hope you plan to see doctor for it and let doctor knows that what if it causes by your head (possible CI?)

You should not feel suffer not to know what's going on with your body. Im sorry that i feel you do need to talk with your parents how you feel with your body being numb or whatever. Have someone else (doctor) to take alook at your head.

you know sometimes, following your gut/or hunch usually get right if you think ci causes everything with your body.

Yes it is very scary :( I will drop anything I am holding and my body goes limp it is also difficult to communicte during a bad attack :( I have gone to many doctor, but all test seem to come back incinclusive because of the implant so I am not getting answers

Jiro said it better and professional words than what I told you, "the other doctor" is what I mean other medical professional without the point of view with CI.

no. it's because it will be a very expensive malpractice lawsuit for them and they're just covering their ass. You must seek OTHER medical professionals for different opinions. You need to do this immediately. I don't want think to about what will happen if you lose a control of your motor functions in public place or while driving.

yes, for 4 years now! I want answers! I do not like to get sick all the time and not be able to do anything or to happen in public and get hurt. Lucky my Service Dog also helps with my balance and helps me during an attack but 4 years is too long!

I am not happy that the doctors keep pushing me around and keep dismissing the implant! I think its the implant, but every doctor I talk to dismiss it because my Doctor was known around the world. I do not care, I think it is the implant causing it or trigger it.

Thanks Jillio!

I haven't brought this up to my parents yet...I dont know what how my family would feel, they are all hearing and none sign. It took my dad 19 years to admit I had any hearing loss at all, let alone that I am Deaf.

You are welcome. I'm just going to suggest that it shouldn't make any difference how your family feels about it. You are the one that is deaf, and you are the one that is entitled to decide the best way for you to live as a Deaf person. Nor should it be your obligation to meet all of their needs.:hug:

Yea, I seen a nerologist who said he cant rule out anything because he doesnt work with CI or know if its that effecting me, so he dismissed me also after the test had no result because of implant. Maybe my best bet is to go back to the implant Dr. and tell him to just take it out? I did this before a few years ago, but he said it will be worse if they take it out because they have to recut the nerves...that is why I didnt do it sooner.

yes, for 4 years now! I want answers! I do not like to get sick all the time and not be able to do anything or to happen in public and get hurt. Lucky my Service Dog also helps with my balance and helps me during an attack but 4 years is too long!

I am not happy that the doctors keep pushing me around and keep dismissing the implant! I think its the implant, but every doctor I talk to dismiss it because my Doctor was known around the world. I do not care, I think it is the implant causing it or trigger it.

:jaw:

I smell a very expensive malpractice lawsuit that will make you a very very rich gal. Have you seen neurologist? Received a CAT/PET/MRI scan? Taken blood test?

EDIT - just saw your reply above.

Back