CI question

djchur

Reaction score
Can you hear birds sing with a cochlear implant? I can't hear anything like that with my hearing aids, but I don't think my hearing is bad enough to get a CI: right ear 70-95db, left ear 80-105db. Does anyone know whether I would be able to get a CI with my hearing loss?

yes, i can hear birds sing with my ci's.

in order to qualify for a ci, you must have severe-profound (80 dB+ across all frequencies) or profound (90 dB+ across all frequencies) loss and speech understanding of 40% or less with hearing aids in the best listening environment.

based on what you've said, your left ear could qualify for a ci, but the only way to determine that is to visit a qualified ci center for an evaluation.

by the way, what is your speech discrimination scores (i.e. percentages) with hearing aids?

As you are in the severe/profound range, It is possible to get referal from your ENT (i don't know where excatly you live) I am from UK (south) and when my HA doesn't seem to be loud enough, I got Referal from my ENT to CI Centre where they would give an Intial assessment, it's an assessment to see if a person are eglible to go on to full CI assessment, it's simple, just few hearing tests, the speech discrimation tests.
Be prepared for long wait, I was lucky i had my CI 10 months after referal, the norm is 2 years waiting depending on where you live. You will need to make appt with your ENT first then go from there.
CI is paid for By PCT but again that depends on your local PCT.

I don't see the harm in trying out. Good luck

Haven't heard bird sing yet as i was implanted in July and the birds aren't singing until spring! But I do hear alot more than i ever did with HA's. I can hear computer tapping, and clicking as i change the page on the website!

yes I can hear the birds sign. I haven't heard them since I was about 11 or 12.

Hear Again & vallee - Do you have any favorites? Me, I am partial to the Robin. :)

Hear Again & vallee - Do you have any favorites? Me, I am partial to the Robin. :)

I spent most the year trying to find out where the birds are. I am really amazed as how loud and "noisy" birds can be. I teach in a portable and I hear them all spring long through the walls(never before CIs).

At first it was a sense of aw.....I hear the birds....then it went to.....do they ever stop.....to wearing ear muffs!

I will focus on the robin and listen to the different sounds.

i'm afraid i can't identify birds by their songs since i can't see them. i'm not experienced enough in birding to be able to do this, but i'm working on it. i have several websites bookmarked that have audio files of various bird songs and i'm slowly learning how to identify them by ear.

I spent most the year trying to find out where the birds are. I am really amazed as how loud and "noisy" birds can be. I teach in a portable and I hear them all spring long through the walls(never before CIs).

At first it was a sense of aw.....I hear the birds....then it went to.....do they ever stop.....to wearing ear muffs!

I will focus on the robin and listen to the different sounds.

vallee,

what do you mean by a "portable?"

as for myself, i could never grow tired of hearing birds sing. they can make all the noise they want and i'd still listen to them all day.

the only bird sound I *don't* like is squawking.

vallee,

what do you mean by a "portable?"

I teach in a building that is not part of our school it is a modular building. To me it looks like a metal storage shed or a trailer. It has sliding and wood paneling inside. It is not very comfortable, cold in the weather and hot in the spring. I have to walk outside to pick up my students every 45 minutes to bring them outside.

I teach in a building that is not part of our school it is a modular building. To me it looks like a metal storage shed or a trailer. It has sliding and wood paneling inside. It is not very comfortable, cold in the weather and hot in the spring. I have to walk outside to pick up my students every 45 minutes to bring them outside.

:ty: for the explanation. i also don't think i'd be very comfortable in that environment. :(

i can hear birds singing with CI and im profound deaf... and i do enjoy listening to them. there is one type of bird that makes that awful sound... i dont know which type though but man its awful lol.. its like they were screaming or something. i also can hear crickets at night time if i sit still and just listen. they have interesting music... its like two different crickets has different music.. i can hear the difference in the beats and they were taking turns. it was pretty cool.

i can hear lot of sounds and yet same time i cant hear some sounds like low bass.. i dont hear it but rather feel it first.

there is one type of bird that makes that awful sound... i dont know which type though but man its awful lol.. its like they were screaming or something.

Sounds like that could be the BlueJay. They do make an awful racket. Or a crow, who "caws" that can grate on your nerves as well. Neither one is a pretty sound.

i'm afraid i can't identify birds by their songs since i can't see them. i'm not experienced enough in birding to be able to do this, but i'm working on it. i have several websites bookmarked that have audio files of various bird songs and i'm slowly learning how to identify them by ear.
Living in the northern midwest, have you run across the sound of a loon yet? I would be interested to read how you react to that laughing sound they make.

Sounds like that could be the BlueJay. They do make an awful racket. Or a crow, who "caws" that can grate on your nerves as well. Neither one is a pretty sound.

thanks for suggestions... ill have to find those birds online and listen to what they make... if it sound similiar then i will be able to identify that later on. thanks!

Living in the northern midwest, have you run across the sound of a loon yet? I would be interested to read how you react to that laughing sound they make.

yes, i have heard the loon before. in fact, there is a pond located not too far where i live that has alot of loons in it during the spring and summer. i can hear them from my apartment when the livingroom window is open. the sound of the loon makes me smile and chuckle because it sounds so strange. :lol:

i hate that sound too.

so far, there are 4 sounds i can't stand:

* birds squawking
* crows "cawing"
* motorcycles
* guitars used in heavy metal bands

having said that, there are many, many more sounds that i *do* like. :)

My favorite sounds are children laughing and giggling.

Sounds that bother me are:
1. Loud noises in action movies
2. Toliets flushing
3. The ac and the dishwasher

I must say I love just being about to hear sounds I have either never heard before or slowly lost over time. The greatest joy is not to have to ask others to repeat themselves as often as before.

Number one best CI sound is music!!!!

My favorite sounds are children laughing and giggling.

Sounds that bother me are:
1. Loud noises in action movies
2. Toliets flushing
3. The ac and the dishwasher

I must say I love just being about to hear sounds I have either never heard before or slowly lost over time. The greatest joy is not to have to ask others to repeat themselves as often as before.

Number one best CI sound is music!!!!

agreed!

thanks to my ci's, i was able to resume voice lessons. i've been taking private voice lessons since january of 2005 and have been working with the same vocal coach all this time. he's wonderful and is continually amazed at how much my ci's have enabled me to enjoy music once again. :D

my next goal is to play a musical instrument. i'm considering the piano, flute, violin, viola, harp, sax, piccolo and clarinet.

note: i've already played the instruments highlighted in bold.

Awesome lisa!, I used to play on the keyboards pre ci without sounds just feeling.. so hard but did pass grade exams. Haven't touched the keyboards for 14 years (since i left school) i wonder if i should take keyboards up again! ummm!

Back