CI possibilities

I'm going to Denver myself for my implant, been going to the Rocky Mountain Ear Center in Englewood (at the Swedish Hospital medical campus). The surgeon there is excellent, the audie has been awesome! I can't remember if there are other implant centers in the Denver area. Rocky Mountain was highly recommended to me when I started the process, and I have been extremely happy with them.

Does either deaf school in Colorado have an outreach program, where they can send an outreach consultant to you and work with your daughter in your home or however that works? I don't know anything about Colorado's programs for the Deaf/Hoh as I am from Wyoming myself. Although I do know of a Deaf guidance counselor that works at a deaf school in Colorado, perhaps I could ask him for some suggestions for you.

I'm going to Denver myself for my implant, been going to the Rocky Mountain Ear Center in Englewood (at the Swedish Hospital medical campus). The surgeon there is excellent, the audie has been awesome! I can't remember if there are other implant centers in the Denver area. Rocky Mountain was highly recommended to me when I started the process, and I have been extremely happy with them.

Does either deaf school in Colorado have an outreach program, where they can send an outreach consultant to you and work with your daughter in your home or however that works? I don't know anything about Colorado's programs for the Deaf/Hoh as I am from Wyoming myself. Although I do know of a Deaf guidance counselor that works at a deaf school in Colorado, perhaps I could ask him for some suggestions for you.

One of the doctors at the Rocky Mountain Ear Center is where mine and Allys Audiologist has suggest we go. I would also Love it if you asked the guidance counselor, do you know which school he is associated with?

oh wait he's at a deaf school in Arizona. It's his dad that's in Colorado (he was the principal of our Wyoming School for the Deaf for a couple of years, and he's been involved with deaf education for a really long time). Either way, I'll message them both and see what they say.

Did you adopt your daughter then? Before you even knew she was deaf you were arranging for SLP services?
I would love to switch her early intervention program to a Deaf school, but its over 45 minutes to either deaf school even remotely close to us. (Rocky Mountain Deaf School and Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind) and its just very difficult with both girls right now. But that is something I am going to have to look into, maybe I will meet with the staff one day without the girls. How did you handle switching the Early intervention? I'm still very new to all of this, motherhood is still new to me, and the girls are almost 5 months old. I guess thats what I get for having them so young, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

For infant EI, they usually send someone from the deaf school into the home I thought. It's fairly rare for babies to go to school.

and in addition 45 mintues is tough but b/c services from a deaf school are REALLY good, it's very much worth it.

yeah at least contact the deaf schools and see if they will send someone over to you to work with your daughter.

For infant EI, they usually send someone from the deaf school into the home I thought. It's fairly rare for babies to go to school.

That may be true, you may have found that outside Massachusetts it may be rare for deaf schools to provide parent-infant programs. Not the case here, though. Our parent infant program is quite large -- in MA, it's not rare at all for deaf children to attend up to 3X a week, if you choose ASL. Instead of going to, let's say an AVT in his or her office, you can have your language development services provided by the school's SLPs, but again, that's on campus, some do rotating pull-outs of the children for 15 minute segments throughout the 3 hour session, others join group activities and work on language within in conversations. They'll also send an observer to the home once a month to advise on what you can do in the home to foster language development.

EI for standard OT and other special needs can be done in the home. Deaf schools here are typically not involved in directly providing those outreach services to infants. We were very lucky in that our regular EI provided-SLP was fluent in ASL. She wasn't associated with the school at that time and came to our home sometimes, but more often we met in her office until we shifted services and then she would join us on the school's campus.

Back