CI possibilities

CreatedNat

Reaction score
Ok, so I know I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone had received an implant as a late teen or young adult after being Deaf their whole lives. I recently lost quite a bit more hearing after being pregnant with my girls, and I'm considering getting a CI.
I would also love to hear from parents of CI kids, as one of my twins is deaf, and my husband and i are thinking about the possibility of a CI for her as well.

any and all feedback would be so welcome. Thank you!

Did you have hearing with a HA? It's not that unusual for people who had hearing with hearing aids to have a drop in hearing. If you maxed out your aids, then yeah......go for a CI.
For the twin.....has she been trialed with HA yet? There are quite a few kids who have NO response to sound with a HA..Is she one of them?.The important thing is ...don't panic.....I know the things the doctors say make it sound like "if you don't implant ASAP, the kid will end up begging on a street corner." Even with CI, there are still many severe-profound and even profound kids who develop speech with HA.

Did you have hearing with a HA? It's not that unusual for people who had hearing with hearing aids to have a drop in hearing. If you maxed out your aids, then yeah......go for a CI.
For the twin.....has she been trialed with HA yet? There are quite a few kids who have NO response to sound with a HA..Is she one of them?.The important thing is ...don't panic.....I know the things the doctors say make it sound like "if you don't implant ASAP, the kid will end up begging on a street corner." Even with CI, there are still many severe-profound and even profound kids who develop speech with HA.

Yup! I'm one of them. I am deaf in my left ear (no hearing aid can help) and I am severe - profoundly HOH (60 Hz - 120 Hz & below) in my right ear since I was around 3 years old. I used an analog hearing aid most all my life (every day all day from morning until sleep) until I was about 23, when I switched to digital. I'm 32 now. In my case my hearing aid was of tremendous benefit to me and I was able to learn speech just fine.

Yes I did have some hearing with my hearing aids, in fact I'm still using them, but my speech discrimination as gone down severely with my drop in hearing. Without lipreading before I got pregnant, I could understand a good 75% on my tests, but in a real world situation, maybe 50%, but with lipreading, that was much better. Now, I'm getting about 30% on my soundbooth tests, and having a much more difficult time in real life situations.

As for my Ally, she has hearing aids now (they are cute and pink, but she hates them... Maya on the other hand... really likes to chew on them). With her abrs, she is scoring about 100 db in both ears. I'm not afraid for her future, because either way, she will have language, asl is her first language, but I just want everything for her, I want Ally and Maya to have the same opportunities, and I don't want people to judge Ally because she can't hear or speak clearly. She hasn't started babling or anything yet, Maya on the other hand, according to my husband, is a little chatterbox. Both girls can tell me they want milk, or sleep... Maya is a daddys girl, and if David is at work, will contatly ask for him.

I have refused to let the doctors persuade me against asl with Ally (oh they have tried... which is really interesting to see when they have an interpreter there for me... and they are telling a Deaf (culturally and all) mom that her daughter has to have only spoken language... through an ASL interpreter...) are there many ci parents who do both asl and spoken with their kids here?

I've been deaf since I was 2 (I'm 26) and my implant was just activated yesterday. Had the implant done in the left (dead) ear (hasn't heard sound for possibly 20+ years, we're not exactly sure if I ever got any benefits from a HA in the left ear), so right now I just get beeps or electronic sounding tones. But if you've been wearing hearing aids, that can definitely help you out if you get the implant, as your ears have been stimulated with the hearing aids, and you're more than likely to start making sense of sounds with the implant(s) quickly enough. Dead ears or ears that haven't been stimulated for so long, it takes longer to get used to how things sound with the implant.

... are there many ci parents who do both asl and spoken with their kids here?

Hello! I think most, if not all of the parents on this forum who have children with CIs have at some point used or do use sign language in addition to spoken language with their kids, to varying degrees. Attend a CI conference, where you'll be surrounded by kids with CIs, and you can see people signing frequently from across rooms, at the pools, etc. It's more common than not. If your child has only one CI implanted, he or she is still unilaterally deaf, which has its unique characteristics. Even with two CIs, which made an enormous difference with my daughter -- not so much in the sound booth, but in real life -- there are times a child may not wear her CIs, but communication can't stop. I don't see how anyone can argue against having more opportunities for communication, which adding a language can do. It's really too bad you've encountered that message -- our hospital and CI clinic are active proponents of ASL + spoken English, and our ENT referred me immediately to ASL resources long before CI came up, and they have supported us at every step.

You are so fortunate: you have an enormous step-up knowing ASL already. The biggest obstacle to embarking on an ASL route for most hearing parents is knowing that even if ASL resources are available locally, it will likely be 6-7 years before he or she is fluent in the way that a developing child needs early language -- many worry about raising a child in a home and community without fluent language users, without true immersion opportunities. And we all know that those first 3 years are absolutely critical for language development -- ASL and any spoken language.

We were very lucky in that despite our own limitations with ASL (we knew nothing at the outset), we had access to a unique immersion environment for our child and some learning opportunities for ourselves, as well. Our child's first language was ASL, she has attended a bi-bi school for the deaf for 5 years, she's fluent in ASL and English, and she's a typical CI user -- although implanted a little bit late for ideal language acquisition (1st CI at ~2, a second at ~3), she scores at or above age level relative to hearing peers in verbal language.

Best of luck with whatever paths you take with your little ones!

Oh Grendel, that is so wonderful. Please forgive me for asking, but what is a bibi school? How old was your daughter when she was implanted? How did she react with the implant, my Ally doesn't really like her hearing aids right now, and that is something I am afraid of, getting this surgery on my beautifully perfect princess, causing her pain, then having her hate them like she does her aids. Are you and your family involved in the Deaf community where you are? I'm hoping, especially with my little Ally to be able to get involved in the community here, though finding events has been a little difficult. I never really had that growing up, nothing local, but when I was young, my parents would pack me into the car and drive 3 hours every week so I could see people who signed, and I don't want to be the only fluent signer in my daughters life. But I also know implanting children is a touchy subject within the adult Deaf community, and I don't want them to reject my daughter and I if that is what we choose.

I know we are very lucky with me being fluent in asl for both our princesses. I know fluency takes quite a while, my husband who has been signing for almost 3 years is good, and I can understand him, but he is far from fluent, we both know this. I didn't know that there would be signing at CI conferences, I wonder if there is anything near me (I'm a bit south of denver).

I'm also wondering if our insurance will cover both my daughter and I getting an implant, I haven't even talked to them about the possibility yet, because I am still debating on the issues.

Hello! I think most, if not all of the parents on this forum who have children with CIs have at some point used or do use sign language in addition to spoken language with their kids, to varying degrees. Attend a CI conference, where you'll be surrounded by kids with CIs, and you can see people signing frequently from across rooms, at the pools, etc. It's more common than not. If your child has only one CI implanted, he or she is still unilaterally deaf, which has its unique characteristics. Even with two CIs, which made an enormous difference with my daughter -- not so much in the sound booth, but in real life -- there are times a child may not wear her CIs, but communication can't stop. I don't see how anyone can argue against having more opportunities for communication, which adding a language can do. It's really too bad you've encountered that message -- our hospital and CI clinic are active proponents of ASL + spoken English, and our ENT referred me immediately to ASL resources long before CI came up, and they have supported us at every step.

You are so fortunate: you have an enormous step-up knowing ASL already. The biggest obstacle to embarking on an ASL route for most hearing parents is knowing that even if ASL resources are available locally, it will likely be 6-7 years before he or she is fluent in the way that a developing child needs early language -- many worry about raising a child in a home and community without fluent language users, without true immersion opportunities. And we all know that those first 3 years are absolutely critical for language development -- ASL and any spoken language.

We were very lucky in that despite our own limitations with ASL (we knew nothing at the outset), we had access to a unique immersion environment for our child and some learning opportunities for ourselves, as well. Our child's first language was ASL, she has attended a bi-bi school for the deaf for 5 years, she's fluent in ASL and English, and she's a typical CI user -- although implanted a little bit late for ideal language acquisition (1st CI at ~2, a second at ~3), she scores at or above age level relative to hearing peers in verbal language.

Best of luck with whatever paths you take with your little ones!

ok... so now that I'm allowed to post again (not sure what was happening)...

I have a few questions for you. How old was your daughter when she got implanted? How did she react to them, my Ally doesn't really like her Hearing Aids right now... and I'm scared that if we decide to get the surgery for her, she will react the same with the CI, and constantly take it/them off. I have this fear of my perfect little princess going into surgery... but if it will benefit her in the long run, then maybe it is something we should do. Also, are you involved in the Deaf community with your family? How have they reacted to your daughter having CI's? I know the implantation of children is a touchy subject in the community, and I don't want our family to be rejected because we have chosen two paths instead of one. and... what is Bi-Bi?

As for the fluency... yes, my family is very lucky that I am fluent in ASL, I am so happy my parents decided that path for me, I learned ASL and English at the same time. My husband on the other hand, even though he has been signing for almost 3 years, is not fluent. He can get his point across, but I have to sign slow for him sometimes :giggle:.

I really hope that I can find a CI conference around me, and that we can find a surgeon, for myself and my daughter, who will be ok with ASL as her first language, and that we aren't going to stop it. This has made me feel so much better, I know I'm going to have to drive to Denver for the CI appts, to see if either one of us are a candidate. How did the process look for your daughter if you don't mind me asking.

ok... so now that I'm allowed to post again (not sure what was happening)...

I have a few questions for you. How old was your daughter when she got implanted? How did she react to them, my Ally doesn't really like her Hearing Aids right now... and I'm scared that if we decide to get the surgery for her, she will react the same with the CI, and constantly take it/them off. I have this fear of my perfect little princess going into surgery... but if it will benefit her in the long run, then maybe it is something we should do. Also, are you involved in the Deaf community with your family? How have they reacted to your daughter having CI's? I know the implantation of children is a touchy subject in the community, and I don't want our family to be rejected because we have chosen two paths instead of one. and... what is Bi-Bi?

As for the fluency... yes, my family is very lucky that I am fluent in ASL, I am so happy my parents decided that path for me, I learned ASL and English at the same time. My husband on the other hand, even though he has been signing for almost 3 years, is not fluent. He can get his point across, but I have to sign slow for him sometimes :giggle:.

I really hope that I can find a CI conference around me, and that we can find a surgeon, for myself and my daughter, who will be ok with ASL as her first language, and that we aren't going to stop it. This has made me feel so much better, I know I'm going to have to drive to Denver for the CI appts, to see if either one of us are a candidate. How did the process look for your daughter if you don't mind me asking.

Shouldn't you be getting early intervention help in your state from the area education agency?

And growing up deaf, you should have a little confidence in your ability to handle your deaf child.

Shouldn't you be getting early intervention help in your state from the area education agency?

And growing up deaf, you should have a little confidence in your ability to handle your deaf child.

We are getting early intervention, but most of it has been very much, if you choose to use ASL with your child, then you will damage her, so I have stopped using the early intervention programs here, because I don't like their philosophies, and I can give my daughter more right now then any early intervention program here can, I can give her a way to express herself.

And I know that no matter what, if we choose to implant Ally or not, she will be perfectly fine, but I just want her to have every possibility, all the same opportunities as her sister. I know that my children will be wonderful no matter what, but growing up, I had hearing aids, I still do, and they helped me navigate the hearing world. I don't want to isolate my daughter to only the Deaf world, I want her to be proud to be who she is, but I don't want that to be her only world.

We are getting early intervention, but most of it has been very much, if you choose to use ASL with your child, then you will damage her, so I have stopped using the early intervention programs here, because I don't like their philosophies, and I can give my daughter more right now then any early intervention program here can, I can give her a way to express herself.

And I know that no matter what, if we choose to implant Ally or not, she will be perfectly fine, but I just want her to have every possibility, all the same opportunities as her sister. I know that my children will be wonderful no matter what, but growing up, I had hearing aids, I still do, and they helped me navigate the hearing world. I don't want to isolate my daughter to only the Deaf world, I want her to be proud to be who she is, but I don't want that to be her only world.
Coming from a family with lots of deaf people, I have not seen the attitude you describe.

They are more in a position to help you than trying to get advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

I don't mind at all -- I asked a million questions when we started the process. And still do :) .

She hated her HAs too after the first few increases in volume -- they had them screamingly loud, as they kept trying to reach her with some sound. But the louder they set them, the more she wanted them off, I guess the vibrations were painful.

My daughter's first CI was activated shortly before she turned 2, and her second, just before she turned 3. Your child + surgery is horrible, there's no getting around that and no sugar coating it. It's long, and it's usually an overnight in the hospital for most little ones, and then a couple of days of healing at home without opportunities to bounce around into other kids. There's an ugly incision that heals into a long scar, and I was so afraid of something going wrong during the healing process.

But we'd do it all over again with only one difference: we'd have pushed to do it sooner if we had the chance. She insists on wearing her CIs all the time -- we're very glad they are now water resistant and she can swim in them, bc she got to the point where she hated taking them off in the water and while kayaking. When she had just one, though, she would get tired toward the end of the day, around 4-5pm, and she'd remove it. Maybe the single sided input was tiring to reconcile, but we noticed that this is not an issue when she wears both. We have to insist on them coming off at night.

Bi-Bi is "bilingual-bicultural" and refers to a Deaf academic environment that's usually based on ASL instruction with classes in English as a second language, and a focus on written English in all classes. This is quite different from a TC (total communication) environment in which the means of instruction might be some ASL, some SEE, some spoken language, some Cued Speech, etc. -- in theory whatever works best for each child. In a bi-bi school, most students are completely immersed in ASL from the start, and it's usually a voices-off environment. Some schools have an auditory access program for kids with CIs, CODAs, for HOH kids with excellent access to sound via HAs (not often the case), or those with hearing but unable to speak. At my daughter's school, their educational programming starts at birth -- with classes for parents to learn ASL, parent-infant groups, early intervention programming. 50% of the academic staff is deaf. It's very hard to get and maintain placement at such schools, you have to prove that your child's primary language is ASL. My daughter has been welcomed with open arms by our local Deaf community -- very little of the anti-CI sentiment you see online exists here. I can't imagine some of her friends ever reacting negatively to her CIs -- some of them wear HAs, and there's not a bias against technology. Increasingly, Deaf families we encounter include children and adults with CIs -- and they all sign, so we don't see the same bizarre assumption that CI and ASL are somehow mutually exclusive in the real world.

Your surgeon may get chatty with you, but shouldn't express a professional opinion about your child's language -- that's not likely his or her field of expertise. I'd disregard my dentist if she started spouting off about what language my child should use, same with an ENT -- they may have seen some examples of what has worked in the past with their patients, but my feeling is that's not their profession, take their input as you would any Tom, Dick,or Harry on the street. You know first hand the benefits of two languages and more importantly, you know what's best for your child.

We had arranged for early intervention with an SLP before we met my daughter and found out she was deaf, and by luck of the draw ours was fluent in ASL , so long before we got a formal diagnosis of deafness, she was already meeting 3X a week with someone using ASL with her. In fact, her early intervention SLP was hired by her school as a communication specialist and still sees her in the halls all the time -- they are very close. We arranged for her early intervention to take place at a school for the deaf, so she had the benefit of group activities with other deaf kids, we could interact with other parents of deaf kids, and Li could learn ASL from Deaf teachers and by interacting with peers and -- later, after getting her first CI -- could work on catching up on spoken language. I think this is a big focus by Deaf ed centers -- maybe you can shift your early intervention services from your local catchment to a deaf school as we did?

Coming from a family with lots of deaf people, I have not seen the attitude you describe.

They are more in a position to help you than trying to get advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

I'm more wanting to find information from people who grew up like I did. Yes my parents took me weekly to an ASL social, and I am so happy they did, and I am so happy that my parents chose BOTH spoken language and ASL for me.

and I am so happy that you haven't seen the attitude that I have, but to be completely honest with you, I see the attitude all the time. People think its cute that I sign with my girls, but then they find out that I am deaf, and that Ally is deaf, and they think I should only be teaching her to speak, yet they have no issues with Maya learning to sign, or my husband signing. You must live in a very open minded area, I unfortunately don't.

I don't mind at all -- I asked a million questions when we started the process. And still do :) .

She hated her HAs too after the first few increases in volume -- they had them screamingly loud, as they kept trying to reach her with some sound. But the louder they set them, the more she wanted them off, I guess the vibrations were painful.

My daughter's first CI was activated shortly before she turned 2, and her second, just before she turned 3. Your child + surgery is horrible, there's no getting around that and no sugar coating it. It's long, and it's usually an overnight in the hospital for most little ones, and then a couple of days of healing at home without opportunities to bounce around into other kids. There's an ugly incision that heals into a long scar, and I was so afraid of something going wrong during the healing process.

But we'd do it all over again with only one difference: we'd have pushed to do it sooner if we had the chance. She insists on wearing her CIs all the time -- we're very glad they are now water resistant and she can swim in them, bc she got to the point where she hated taking them off in the water and while kayaking. When she had just one, though, she would get tired toward the end of the day, around 4-5pm, and she'd remove it. Maybe the single sided input was tiring to reconcile, but we noticed that this is not an issue when she wears both. We have to insist on them coming off at night.

Bi-Bi is "bilingual-bicultural" and refers to a Deaf academic environment that's usually based on ASL instruction with classes in English as a second language, and a focus on written English in all classes. This is quite different from a TC (total communication) environment in which the means of instruction might be some ASL, some SEE, some spoken language, some Cued Speech, etc. -- in theory whatever works best for each child. In a bi-bi school, most students are completely immersed in ASL from the start, and it's usually a voices-off environment. Some schools have an auditory access program for kids with CIs, CODAs, for HOH kids with excellent access to sound via HAs (not often the case), or those with hearing but unable to speak. At my daughter's school, their educational programming starts at birth -- with classes for parents to learn ASL, parent-infant groups, early intervention programming. 50% of the academic staff is deaf. It's very hard to get and maintain placement at such schools, you have to prove that your child's primary language is ASL. My daughter has been welcomed with open arms by our local Deaf community -- very little of the anti-CI sentiment you see online exists here. I can't imagine some of her friends ever reacting negatively to her CIs -- some of them wear HAs, and there's not a bias against technology. Increasingly, Deaf families we encounter include children and adults with CIs -- and they all sign, so we don't see the same bizarre assumption that CI and ASL are somehow mutually exclusive in the real world.

Your surgeon may get chatty with you, but shouldn't express a professional opinion about your child's language -- that's not likely his or her field of expertise. I'd disregard my dentist if she started spouting off about what language my child should use, same with an ENT -- they may have seen some examples of what has worked in the past with their patients, but my feeling is that's not their profession, take their input as you would any Tom, Dick,or Harry on the street. You know first hand the benefits of two languages and more importantly, you know what's best for your child.

I do know the benefits of two languages, and I am very pleased that my parents chose both for me. I was able to get fairly good response from my Hearing Aids before I got pregnant, and I want to wait and see if Ally does as well. Many of the professionals I have seen, as well as taken Ally to see, get so frustrated that I am signing with her. The only schools that I have seen are mainstream, because that is what I attended all my life. I always had an ASL interpreter for my classes, and up until I was maybe 11 and actually comfortable with my speech and really, the english language, all of my interpreters voiced for me.

Thank you so much for answering my questions, when I think of any more, I will definitely ask.

We had arranged for early intervention with an SLP before we met my daughter and found out she was deaf, and by luck of the draw ours was fluent in ASL , so long before we got a formal diagnosis of deafness, she was already meeting 3X a week with someone using ASL with her. In fact, her early intervention SLP was hired by her school as a communication specialist and still sees her in the halls all the time -- they are very close. We arranged for her early intervention to take place at a school for the deaf, so she had the benefit of group activities with other deaf kids, we could interact with other parents of deaf kids, and Li could learn ASL from Deaf teachers and by interacting with peers and -- later, after getting her first CI -- could work on catching up on spoken language. I think this is a big focus by Deaf ed centers -- maybe you can shift your early intervention services from your local catchment to a deaf school as we did?

Did you adopt your daughter then? Before you even knew she was deaf you were arranging for SLP services?
I would love to switch her early intervention program to a Deaf school, but its over 45 minutes to either deaf school even remotely close to us. (Rocky Mountain Deaf School and Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind) and its just very difficult with both girls right now. But that is something I am going to have to look into, maybe I will meet with the staff one day without the girls. How did you handle switching the Early intervention? I'm still very new to all of this, motherhood is still new to me, and the girls are almost 5 months old. I guess thats what I get for having them so young, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Did you adopt your daughter then? Before you even knew she was deaf you were arranging for SLP services?
I would love to switch her early intervention program to a Deaf school, but its over 45 minutes to either deaf school even remotely close to us. (Rocky Mountain Deaf School and Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind) and its just very difficult with both girls right now. But that is something I am going to have to look into, maybe I will meet with the staff one day without the girls. How did you handle switching the Early intervention? I'm still very new to all of this, motherhood is still new to me, and the girls are almost 5 months old. I guess thats what I get for having them so young, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

No mind reading here :) , we had arranged for early intervention before we adopted her bc we knew she was coming from an institutional environment in China and expected that she would need to catch up in English. About the ride: I know -- that distance is rough, my little one had a nearly 2 hour commute each way last year due to several pick-ups after/and then before hers, before that I drove her in the morning and my husband left work early to bring her home, and when she was under 3 we were there with her, obviously :) . But fortunately we are on a different van run now and she's got an "express" right to school, so now her ride is only about an hour + change each way. There were many siblings involved together in our program, bc obviously it's important that the whole family becomes fluent, not just the little one who happens to be deaf.

I'm a really OLD mom and I feel like I'm new to all of it too :) . It took a bit of fussing to change the early intervention assignment, but we needed full ASL services and there weren't any established in our catchment area, just oral deaf and TC programs. Just having a fluent SLP wasn't sufficient, didn't provide peer interaction. We made many calls, documented her needs and basically pestered people. Getting the school involved was key, they made calls too. We had a language assessment as part of the IFSP and got our hospital to provide documentation recommending an ASL environment for early intervention services. All of this set a foundation and established ASL as her official language that we used when making the argument for placement at the school years later at her first IEP.

No mind reading here :) , we had arranged for early intervention before we adopted her bc we knew she was coming from an institutional environment in China and expected that she would need to catch up in English. About the ride: I know -- that distance is rough, my little one had a nearly 2 hour commute each way last year due to several pick-ups after/and then before hers, before that I drove her in the morning and my husband left work early to bring her home, and when she was under 3 we were there with her, obviously :) . But fortunately we are on a different van run now and she's got an "express" right to school, so now her ride is only about an hour + change each way. There were many siblings involved together in our program, bc obviously it's important that the whole family becomes fluent, not just the little one who happens to be deaf.

I'm a really OLD mom and I feel like I'm new to all of it too :) . It took a bit of fussing to change the early intervention assignment, but we needed full ASL services and there weren't any established in our catchment area, just oral deaf and TC programs. Just having a fluent SLP wasn't sufficient, didn't provide peer interaction. We made many calls, documented her needs and basically pestered people. Getting the school involved was key, they made calls too. We had a language assessment as part of the IFSP and got our hospital to provide documentation recommending an ASL environment for early intervention services. All of this set a foundation and established ASL as her official language that we used when making the argument for placement at the school years later at her first IEP.

Yes, and I think formal classes would be wonderful for my husband, not only to communicate with our daughter, but also with me. I know all of my children will become fluent in ASL either way, but an IFSP is a really good idea. I think I may have to pick up the girls and just do it... going out with both of them is still hard... I'm going to have to find a way to get that built into their schedules.

and I am so happy to know that I'm not alone in it being new. I love my girls, but every day I can't wait for David to come home, so that maybe I can get something done. So very happy that he is on Spring Break right now! The girls and I both love it!

I'm more wanting to find information from people who grew up like I did. Yes my parents took me weekly to an ASL social, and I am so happy they did, and I am so happy that my parents chose BOTH spoken language and ASL for me.

and I am so happy that you haven't seen the attitude that I have, but to be completely honest with you, I see the attitude all the time. People think its cute that I sign with my girls, but then they find out that I am deaf, and that Ally is deaf, and they think I should only be teaching her to speak, yet they have no issues with Maya learning to sign, or my husband signing. You must live in a very open minded area, I unfortunately don't.

Do you want to be put in touch with people in your state in real life who grew up like you ?

I know several if you do. Just say the word.

Back