CI medic alert jewelry?

If one needs a MRI, they remove the round receiver under the skin and then do the MRI. Even then, they do it at lower power settings to prevent trouble with the electrode. . . .

Do you mean magnet? The receiver of the implant is not removed. If you need an MRI, the magnet on those implants that have "removable magnets" would be removed and then replaced with a new one after the MRI is done.

JC

Do you mean magnet? The receiver of the implant is not removed. If you need an MRI, the magnet on those implants that have "removable magnets" would be removed and then replaced with a new one after the MRI is done.

JC

Only the newest internals have removable magnets. Older AB and Med-el can't get MRI's at all.

hmm well I have medic alert and I think they are important to have regardless whether ppl know you or not and if you have a card or not...I'd rather be safe then sorry. I also hope I never have to get another MRI again ever lol whether it's when I have a CI in the future or not ...they scare me

The bracelet should be worn on left wrist as medics are trained to check left wrist when checking for pulse as well as neck for necklace.

Keep Safe.

I wouldn't wear my bracelet on my left hand because I write left handed and having the bracelet would hurt my wrist/part of left hand while I am writing because I lean my hand on the paper when I write. I would wear my bracelet on my right hand instead. Or maybe I could put it on my ankle, but I don't know if medics will think to check ankles? Probably not a good idea. I will stick with right hand, I think.

JC

Sorry, yes that is what I meant.

Thanks.

Er...you are kidding right? Of course it would effect you. Otherwise, worrying about wearing a med alert would be a moot point. The bit about being a black hole in "appearance" would describe it pretty well. The rest of the head not blocked by the CI would show up fine.

Having a MRI while you have an implant is very dangerous. The magnetic field of a MRI can move the implant and cause no end of trouble (and even could kill you). If one needs a MRI, they remove the round receiver under the skin and then do the MRI. Even then, they do it at lower power settings to prevent trouble with the electrode.

That is why the med alert is so valuable for those with a CI.

Cochlear have removeable magnet.

Back in November i was training for Cochlear Advocacy, they showed us images of MRI with CI on each levels. At O.8 Telsra, the image would be ok as it's small area, 1.5 with pressure bandage, larger area, may get away with it, may need to remove the magnet if the image is covering whatever the problem is. 3, Completely black, the magnet would need to be removed.

Why, would any body I know who have CI had never been told to wear ID tag, if it's very "risky" they would have made sure we wear one or least provide something better than paper ID card which could easily be lost, washed or eaten.

I wouldn't wear my bracelet on my left hand because I write left handed and having the bracelet would hurt my wrist/part of left hand while I am writing because I lean my hand on the paper when I write. I would wear my bracelet on my right hand instead. Or maybe I could put it on my ankle, but I don't know if medics will think to check ankles? Probably not a good idea. I will stick with right hand, I think.

That's up to you. They'll check everything anyway. They are likely to check the pulse on left arm and if the medic alert is there and it's easily found.

I did not see this mentiond so I will doctors will never do an MRI in an emergent situation without first doing a CT scan esp if a person is unconscious / not identified , alot of people cant have MRI's due to pins or implants so they have to check for them.

The MRI is only one possible thing that needs to be avoided and I'm sure you're right that they would check things out before loading someone into one. But the MRI issue is only a very small part of what you're inability to hear, or more importantly their knowledge that you cannot hear them will be effected.

I've been in an accident and I had no ID or wallet on me (Because I was about 15 or 16 years old). The accident happened in some woods on an ATV. I woke up in an ambulance with them asking what my name was. I was obviously scratched and banged up but they also had to ask me where I hurt and if I remembered what happened. They knew my leg was broken but they didn't find anything else wrong with me other then some scratches, scrapes and a bump on my head. So they didn't know my side was hurting too (Ended up with two fractured ribs, big bump on my head and a broken leg). They also asked me who they can call to let them know where I was. So I had to tell them how to get a hold of my parents.

Now imagine if I couldn't hear these questions. Imagine the bump on my head prevented me from really being able to concentrate or even see them well enough to answer these questions. How long would it have taken to know about my ribs? Would they have found out when they moved me and possibly did more damage (Granted, they are usually very careful about that and keep the person stable and strapped down, neck brace and so forth). How long would it have taken for me to tell them who I was? How to get a hold of my family? With the lack of communication and them being aware that I was deaf before this accident happened rather then because of the accident would make things go a lot smoother and faster. In an emergency both of those things can be crucial in some cases.

So I'm just saying that the MRI issue is only a small part of why I thought about this in the first place.

Ron

Getting a MRI with a CI implant in your head is a serious issue and nothing to sneeze at.

If it is an emergency situation, the hospital will not remove the CI before the implant. Too high of magnetic exposures (MRI) may destroy the implant but probably will not injure anyone.

You must remember, many, many things are contra-indicated because if the manufacturer can't ensure that nothing will happen (e.g. the device fails, injury, etc) the manufacturer will contra-indicate to absolve themselves of legal liability. The is just like of-label use of drugs and devices. Doctors do off-label things all the time, but the manufacturers are typically absolved unless it can be proven that the manufacturer influenced the off-label use.

-C1

I'm thinking about simply:

Deaf
Cochlear Implant
No MRI

I don't really have any other things to put on there. You think that would be enough?

Ron

Most of these symbols that are recognized are industry standards done by a committee. Check organizations such as ISO and ASTM.

-C1

I did not see this mentiond so I will doctors will never do an MRI in an emergent situation without first doing a CT scan esp if a person is unconscious / not identified , alot of people cant have MRI's due to pins or implants so they have to check for them.

Many implants, especially screws and pins, are titanium which is non-magnetic and not affected by magnets.

-C1

Only the newest internals have removable magnets. Older AB and Med-el can't get MRI's at all.

Odds are if magents are removed in a hurry, the scalpels are likely to cut the silicone pocket and make the magnet non-replacable. They may be "removable" but with a 1 inch incision over the implant.

-C1

If it is an emergency situation, the hospital will not remove the CI before the implant. Too high of magnetic exposures (MRI) may destroy the implant but probably will not injure anyone.

-C1

Er...not sure what you meant by your first statement but I gather you meant that the hospital wouldn't just do a MRI with some checking.

But I was referring to how it could cause damage to the implantee. The magnetic field of a MRI is unbelievable. The electrode is metallic and will "move" when a magnetic field is applied to it. Ergo, it is not something to consider lightly. That is why I have my necklace with a warning. I sure don't want to deal with a damaged electrode or even worst some physical injury as well.

To bring this point home...

There was a tragic story of a young boy who was killed while getting a MRI. Somebody forgot about an oxygen tank or some sort of metal container in the MRI room. As soon as they turn the machine one, the container went flying toward the boy and hit him the head and killed him instantly.

Many implants, especially screws and pins, are titanium which is non-magnetic and not affected by magnets.

-C1

Not exactly true. They don't retain any magnetic force when such a force is applied. The problem is that they will resist such a force and that is the concern.

There is a reason they need to remove the magnetic part before doing a MRI. That is obvious. But even after that, they will not permit a full force MRI to be done. It has to be a lower level Tesla strength before doing one. Why? A full bore MRI will effect a CI implant.

If you like to test the theory out, be my guest.

I wear an ID. Just says "Cochlear Implant - Can NOT have MRI". I'm not taking a chance, doctors and nurses are human and mistakes can happen. I got mine from American Medical ID. I actually have a couple styles, one for work, for play and for formal occasions. They have a great variety of jewelry and also are available in Titanium for people with sensitive skin. Whatch for deals, they often offer a second one for free or half price.

American Medical ID - Medical ID Alert, Custom Engraved Medical Bracelets and Necklaces. Identify Yourself!

JC

JC, out of curiousity, where in Wisconsin are you? I grew up in Milwaukee.

Not exactly true. They don't retain any magnetic force when such a force is applied. The problem is that they will resist such a force and that is the concern.

There is a reason they need to remove the magnetic part before doing a MRI. That is obvious. But even after that, they will not permit a full force MRI to be done. It has to be a lower level Tesla strength before doing one. Why? A full bore MRI will effect a CI implant.

If you like to test the theory out, be my guest.

I believe the implant is more of metal - kinda like the metal on the fridge - than a magnetic. The magnetic piece is on the headpiece

actually there is a magnet on the implant itself too thats why the magnet needs to be removed b4 some MRI's up to 3.5 tesla i believe but not sure. My audi was telling me that there are 2 we discussed it once lol

I believe the implant is more of metal - kinda like the metal on the fridge - than a magnetic. The magnetic piece is on the headpiece

Er...get your facts straight!

You have a magnet on the coil-transmitter (in the center of it) and there is one on the flat roundish part that is implanted in one's head. They have to remove the magnet in one's head before they can even consider doing a MRI. Even then, they can't do a full strength MRI. It has to be at a lessor level. Why? Because the electrode implant can be affected by the MRI. There is no ifs whats or buts about it.

Here are some links...
MRIsafety.com. MRI safety, bioeffects and patient management.
Audiology Online: mri and cochlear implants

Back