CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is true for a lot of prelingually deaf adults who have been implanted.

YES, they hear environmental sounds well, but, their SPEECH PERCEPTION is often dodgy; even in the most ideal environments.

That's exactly what my CI audi said it would be for me. If it wasn't gonna change much for me other than to hear my cat meow and the like, I wasn't going to do a surgery. I've lived 40 years not missing what I never had, so I'm totally fine with it.

There's a deaf audiologist who himself has at least one CI that I know of (not sure if he has one or two). He is awesome in the sense that he knows what he is talking about, and he does not push anything on parents or patients. He is by far the one of the most professional and unbiased person in the deaf field I know.

Now, imagine sitting and listening to him - this person who is clearly educated in the field of audiology who himself is deaf plus uses a CI to tell the audience that CI does NOT do the things that many people say they do.

I LOVE it. I cannot express how badly I wish he was a member of this forum. He's too busy (yes, I've asked him!).

Next time you see him, give him a great big ole' hug from me!

There's a deaf audiologist who himself has at least one CI that I know of (not sure if he has one or two). He is awesome in the sense that he knows what he is talking about, and he does not push anything on parents or patients. He is by far the one of the most professional and unbiased person in the deaf field I know.

Now, imagine sitting and listening to him - this person who is clearly educated in the field of audiology who himself is deaf plus uses a CI to tell the audience that CI does NOT do the things that many people say they do.

I LOVE it. I cannot express how badly I wish he was a member of this forum. He's too busy (yes, I've asked him!).

I know of a deaf audiologist with two CIs...she has basically said the same things this audiologists have said.

Hearing people who go around saying what a CI does for deaf people are really barking up the wrong tree.

I know of a deaf audiologist with two CIs...she has basically said the same things this audiologists have said.

Hearing people who go around saying what a CI does for deaf people are really barking up the wrong tree.

Yes, they are skating on thin ice.

Are you guys in a club that uses those kind of sentences? :lol: (The name of which escapes me at the moment.)

Are you guys in a club that uses those kind of sentences? :lol: (The name of which escapes me at the moment.)

Cat got your tongue? Or is it on the tip of your tongue? ;)

(or to be deaf-friendly, I probably should say tip of your finger!) :giggle:

I reading seems look fun enjoy positive lord, you gift to bott bless person :D cheer thumb up!

Wirelessly posted

Oceanbreeze said:
Yep. I can hear at 20 dbs with my CI but if there's any background noise or if I don't know the person well, I have to depend on lip reading.

Which is true for a lot of prelingually deaf adults who have been implanted.

YES, they hear environmental sounds well, but, their SPEECH PERCEPTION is often dodgy; even in the most ideal environments.

absolutely. That is why so many people advocate for early childhood implantation. The outcomes are very different.

Well, Shoshana - am I going to get a straight answer out of you, or not?

Remember, the question I asked you was - do you understand speech better with your CI on?
(- just yes or no answer, please)

Fuzzy

Kbnyc, I feel that was the case in my situation. I remember clearly the Doctor telling my Mom that "she can not survive with this hearing loss". From that time, I was implanted within one month--rush! The Doctors implanted on me despite KNOWING I also had nerve damage loss--the implant doesn't help nerve damage so the implant does not work proper as with other people with only cochlea damage.

:rofl2::iolol::iough:

Shoshana, you cannot survive with CI because it will kill you instantly with emergency electrocuter equipment or heart defibrillator if they are trying to save your life from any kind of trauma accident or heart attack.

Being bilateral deaf since December 20, 2006 I consider it more than a "technical disability" but an actual/real condition. I had "sensorineural hearing loss-nerve problem" for extended time-almost over 40 years till deafness.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

<< bilateral deaf since Dec 25, 2006. Actually, a lil later; Jan 2007, when I recovered from a sickness. I am currently looking into CIs. I may not be a candidate. What is in your toolbox if I might ask?

What is in my tool box? If my Cochlear Implant of 4 years becomes "unuseful" I suppose my prior CHS SpeechReading might come in handy as well Fingerspelling. One can also have a blank pad and ask others to write. Perhaps live in Bob Rumballs Centre for Deaf seniors/Toronto. Restudy the ASL introduction material I took over 15 years ago.

Addenda: From Dec/06 to Aug/07 I was Bilateral deaf ( still am)and continued living. SpeechReading is a skill which one always uses for the rest of one's life-after learning. Fingerspelling/ASL/BSL et al is contingent on whether the other person also know it. In my real life experience-not too many persons KNOW unless ONE restricts to "deaf community"- Bob Rumball etc.
The key to me was to have a pad and request everyone write as I IMMEDIATELY INFORM ANYONE- i am deaf! This from CHS lesson: Coping with Hearing Loss- Don't BLUFF! Others might call it- assertive. The above was used at Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section-2007.
As the adequacy of the above" approval of: "deaf militants-hearing section"- irrelevant to my real life.

Continue to live in a silent world-which I experience-now- everyday-while swimming. It may an advantage to be "retired", of course with the "drawback of advancing old age" which leads to "permanent solution"!

What is in your potential toolbox AOS?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back