CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cochlear implant- i have a profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, even with the CI I am still deaf. I still struggle to hear some stuff with my implant.

I recently met a woman who was late deafened and we started talking about the CI--She was expecting it to sound perfect, hear everything--Would it be right to falsley lead her on to believe this WILL happen when even with the CI she will at best reach HOH levels and MIGHT not hear such and such and such? and IF she was able to hear, who is to say it will be ANYTHING like she remembers (expecting)?

I think you need to be perfectly honest with this lady. Lots of people have expectations of HAs and CIs which are too optimistic, it's better to let them know how things really are.

I think you need to be perfectly honest with this lady. Lots of people have expectations of HAs and CIs which are too optimistic, it's better to let them know how things really are.

I was honest with her (I stated question for hearfuzzy because he dosent seem to understand).

I told her that CI sucess varies from person to person by situation and circumstance. That even if she sucessfull with implant she might not hear EVERYTHING and it might not sounds same as she is hoping.

I told her not to rush it, and to be sure to think if its right for her personally because its forever.

I was told the hearing ear as THOUSANDS of hair folicules (which vibrate to hit ear drum to make noise), where the implant only has 25-30 (something around that) electrodes to try to produce the sounds the thousands of hairs would of done.

I tried to give her both sides and say some people are sucessful, while others are not too happy with it. Always work to "hear". I think I gave good advice...

I was not Deaf all my life, I was not considered "profoundly Deaf" until 9th grade. So as far as speech goes, I was raised oral, and had many many years of speech prior to the implant.

I hear noise with the implant but I can not always tell you what it is, or where it is coming from. I can distinguish voice in a quiet room, or on a good day with a little background sound, but in public forget it. I still rely heavily on lip reading.

If I was to say one good thing about the implant it would be that it keeps my hair out of my face...lol....It does give me the ability to "hear" but again, the quality of "hearing" Id rather be without, plus the cons.

I do respect people who love their implant, Im glad it works for you! :)

It seems that the CI proponents always want to silence those whose implant has not proven to be the miracle it is touted to be. But there are many just like you who have not been exactly thrilled with their outcomes.

So, the implant does help you obtain some sound, after all?

Would you say that it is harder for you to understand speech (even with the lip reading) once the CI is turned off, or it doesn't matter?

Fuzzy

Just can't stand the fact that she doesn't find her implant miraculous, can you?:lol:

It seems that the CI proponents always want to silence those whose implant has not proven to be the miracle it is touted to be. But there are many just like you who have not been exactly thrilled with their outcomes.

And we get the blame! Lol

And I was too worried, based off my CI audi's frank comments about my tests, that I wouldn't love it. Hence why I didn't do it.

I suspect most deaf persons with a Cochlear Implant are aware NOT every deaf person can use an Implant. The statistics-Sunnybrook/Toronto of 60% of all persons considered for an Implant are rejected-should be a "reality check" for "loose talk". That is a 18-19 year timeframe with only 850 implanted-of which I was one.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

And I was too worried, based off my CI audi's frank comments about my tests, that I wouldn't love it. Hence why I didn't do it.

Exactly. You probably made a more informed decision than most.

I suspect most deaf persons with a Cochlear Implant are aware NOT every deaf person can use an Implant. The statistics-Sunnybrook/Toronto of 60% of all persons considered for an Implant are rejected-should be a "reality check" for "loose talk". That is a 18-19 year timeframe with only 850 implanted-of which I was one.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Which should be an indication to you that you are most certainly a member of a small minority of the deaf. That is why Deaf Culture is alive and thriving.

People here seem really confused about what sensorineural hearing loss means. The majority of SNL lies in the cochlea. It doesn't mean the nerve is damaged.

For people with patchy, damaged, or missing nerves, the CI is not going to be much benefit.

People here seem really confused about what sensorineural hearing loss means. The majority of SNL lies in the cochlea. It doesn't mean the nerve is damaged.

For people with patchy, damaged, or missing nerves, the CI is not going to be much benefit.

Exactly. If there is damage to the 8th cranial nerve, the CI is not feasable.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I'm always amazed when some one tells a deaf person that his/her experience is wrong, especially when that some one is HOH/deaf. Wow. Do they not get that they are invalidating experiences? Saying that their reality does not exist? I can only guess that the need to project on to others is so strong t that they are in denial about the effect on others.

The medical use of the term SNHL has changed. Now, pathologies that effect the 8th nerve are called "retro-cochlear." That would include neuropathy, MS, NF2 or any thing that directly effects the nerve.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I'm always amazed when some one tells a deaf person that his/her experience is wrong, especially when that some one is HOH/deaf. Wow. Do they not get that they are invalidating experiences? Saying that their reality does not exist? I can only guess that the need to project on to others is so strong t that they are in denial about the effect on others.

So true. I find it really bizarre when a hearing person tells a HoH or deaf person that the hearing person knows all about what HoH/deaf people should do, and that somehow the HoH/deaf person is "doing it wrong" if his/her experience of many years is different from what the hearing person thinks it should have been.

-I hear SOUNDS but can not determine what it is, or where it is coming from....just SOUND....is that hearing?

You tell me :)

Shoshanna, I am not trying anything.
I am genuinely asking if you find that with your CI you find it easier to understand speech.
Like, I can not understand speech without my hearing aids yet I need to lip read, too.

So, do you too, like me, understand speech better with your CI on?

It's a simple question, can you answer it, please?

Fuzzy

Just can't stand the fact that she doesn't find her implant miraculous, can you?

Shoshana clearly stated she has very little help from her CI, and why.
In addition to damaged cochlea, she seem to have significant and supposedly progressive nerve damage.

That's why I am so interested if the CI helps at all with her hearing speech.

Are you so dense, or you just enjoy stirring crap so much, Jillio?

Fuzzy

I hear noise with the implant but I can not always tell you what it is, or where it is coming from. I can distinguish voice in a quiet room, or on a good day with a little background sound, but in public forget it. I still rely heavily on lip reading.

You tell me :)

Shoshanna, I am not trying anything.
I am genuinely asking if you find that with your CI you find it easier to understand speech.
Like, I can not understand speech without my hearing aids yet I need to lip read, too.

So, do you too, like me, understand speech better with your CI on?

It's a simple question, can you answer it, please?

Fuzzy

It seems she already answered this before.

It seems she already answered this before.

Not about speech, she didn't.

Very vaguely, she said about hearing sound in general.

I specifically asked Shoshana if she can hear SPEECH with CI on better.

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back