CI and tinnitus?

From what I understand, if you have tinnitus, the CI actually can help. And I do believe the fact that brain invents sounds where there are none is the reason. For that same reason, people that have never had tinnitus can have it after a CI..but at night, when they remove the processor. From my point of view, I will take it. Have had constant tinnitus, 24/7 for two years now in one ear, and it is getting worse in the other. I can deal with it at night, if it means it goes away during the day.

I read articles about tinnitus and CI and am confused because some say CI help tinnitus and others say tinnitus worse with CI. Now I have tinnitus all the time and am going crazy. I don't know about CI and tinnitus - if tinnitus is worse with CI :pissed:

Also did your tinnitus end, with CI or not? I don't want tinnitus to continue forever and think it must end soon or I am :crazy:

:ty:

hi kaitin, i have only been implanted for 4 weeks, so i'm not sure how its going to pan out, but before surgery i had always suffered bad tinnitus, i hoped in would die back down with the implant but so far, if anything it's got much worse than before, but early days and fingers crossed, will keep ye posted

hi kaitin, i have only been implanted for 4 weeks, so i'm not sure how its going to pan out, but before surgery i had always suffered bad tinnitus, i hoped in would die back down with the implant but so far, if anything it's got much worse than before, but early days and fingers crossed, will keep ye posted

I have had my implants for over a year and my tinnitus has mostly stopped. The only time it even occurs is when I have sinus problems.

I have had my implants for over a year and my tinnitus has mostly stopped. The only time it even occurs is when I have sinus problems.
hi vallee, very interesting, have you got a blog? would like to read about your experiences in getting ci

Hey!
Have you been activated yet??

For me, the tinnitus was very bad after I had the surgery. It went away when I was activated for both ears. I remember that when I had surgery in my right ear, the tinnitus were pretty unbearable. It went away the day I was activated.

Hey!

For me, the tinnitus was very bad after I had the surgery. It went away when I was activated for both ears. I remember that when I had surgery in my right ear, the tinnitus were pretty unbearable. It went away the day I was activated.
yes i have been activated for a month or so now, sounds are weird, tinnitus is bad, i't's going to take em a while..

Hey!

Mine too. I heard big band music in my right ear and movie themes in my left ear. Nothing could stop it. As soon as they turned me on it did stop.

Do you still get some tinnitus? If I don't wear my CIs, I will get tinnitus in the late afternoon. Most of the time(95%) I don't have any problems.

In my case (both surgeries), I had severe tinnitus. Mine alternated between 8 different sounds (car engine revving, airplane motor running, high/medium/low beeps, car horn honking, high/medium/low ringing, 70s/80s music, female/male voices and a fan running on medium speed). Just when I became used to one sound, it would change to another. I experienced tinnitus for 6-8 months following activation. At the present time, my tinnitus is mild to moderate and only consists of high/medium/low ringing sounds.

I read articles about tinnitus and CI and am confused because some say CI help tinnitus and others say tinnitus worse with CI. Now I have tinnitus all the time and am going crazy. I don't know about CI and tinnitus - if tinnitus is worse with CI :pissed:

Also did your tinnitus end, with CI or not? I don't want tinnitus to continue forever and think it must end soon or I am :crazy:

:ty:

Hello Kaitin,
Yes, I had tinnitus for like as far I remember when I was 12. It got worse when I got older. I had to do something with it. I researched, I went many drs, and finally I asked them to check my cochlear because they couldn't find what is wrong with me. So, I asked them about CI, They said well, if you are technically already deaf. I would consider do it. So, when that moment came, I talked to CI companies, some companies like Cochlear, they rejected me because I am still technically hearing based on the audiology chart showed different depending on the days, if other day, it has tinnitus active that cause my hearing up and down. So, I went to AB and they told me that I have to take the risk. I said oh yeah, I would take the risk because I cannot stand this tinnitus at all. So, I told them why not just put implant because I know what deaf feel like. My right ear is deaf and my left ear is the weird one. I told them to put on my left one because it is the worse one. They said put in the good ear, I said no, I want to see to see on the worse one and see if it works. They said okay, my body, my money.

After surgery, 4 weeks of healing, I do not even hear any tinnitus even implant inside. I was like biggest relief I ever had! I was like no more dizzy, no more ringing, no more headaches, etc. I was like making the right choice. I would consider call this medical condition because it works for me. It solved the problem pretty well. Then, AB is very curious about my hearing level how I can hear. They begged me to come and do with processor. I was like, allright, I was completely deaf and growing up with hearing aids when it s not really work 100 percent. So, after that moment with this testing. I hear completely clear and crispy at first. I was like, am I dreaming or what? I couldn't believe that, AB couldn't believe that either because of my strangest audiology charts. They thinks something strange about my cochlear. So, then after that they asked me how much different with my speech and my hearing. I said well, I grew up speech therapy with hearing aids. I understand how speech system works in my brain and it just automatically pick those up fast. I didn't expected. However, I kept CI and processor since I was 26, and Now I am 30. I love it, because I can be able to hear music and everything. Sometime, I took it off to be have a quiet time. It is nice to have it.

I would not recommend to hearing people with tinnitus, they would have to deal with other method solution for it because it can damage your fresh hearing and it will not come back. This is good for deaf people that can be more beneficially for CI at any age if they have tinnitus only and don't wearing hearing aids or wore hearing aids at all. I would suggest to them. But remember, for hearing people, this is very risky and it can be sounds different than what you would hear, depends on your right or left. I would wait and get it worse, even though both sides. I know it is very dangerous to do it but that is what I did with this risky but I know I had deaf ear on right, and left is technically deaf and whatever they called in the first place, "hearing" but I took the risk and it works for me. I don't know if it will works for you or everybody because everyone is different with their tinnitus but this is RISKY job!

Back