CI and tinnitus?

Kaitin

Reaction score
I read articles about tinnitus and CI and am confused because some say CI help tinnitus and others say tinnitus worse with CI. Now I have tinnitus all the time and am going crazy. I don't know about CI and tinnitus - if tinnitus is worse with CI :pissed:

Also did your tinnitus end, with CI or not? I don't want tinnitus to continue forever and think it must end soon or I am :crazy:

:ty:

I read articles about tinnitus and CI and am confused because some say CI help tinnitus and others say tinnitus worse with CI. Now I have tinnitus all the time and am going crazy. I don't know about CI and tinnitus - if tinnitus is worse with CI :pissed:

Also did your tinnitus end, with CI or not? I don't want tinnitus to continue forever and think it must end soon or I am :crazy:

Yes, my tinnitus improved a lot. It didn't completely disappear but when I wear the CI during the day I do not notice it unless I am thinking intently about it. I only hear it at night and even then, it's quieter than when it first developed, after my hearing suddenly got worse. Back then, it was terrible and very loud.

They don't really understand much about tinnitus but there is a theory that when your hearing gets worse, the auditory processing part of the brain sort of "makes up" sound to keep the ear equipment in good order e.g. like exercising a muscle. This might explain why the tinnitus improves for a lot of people when they get a CI or an improvement in sound input.

There are some strategies that some people with tinnitus have found helpful such as reducing caffeine, making sure they get plenty of sleep and reducing salt. I can't say caffeine made much difference but I did notice that it was worse when I was tired or stressed. Not sure what was the chicken or the egg. Anyway, if you decided not to go for a CI then maybe you could check those strategies out a bit more and see if it helps?

You too have tinnitus? Me too, I've get those annoying ringing sounds or roaring sounds once in a while in my left ear out of no where, but I have no idea if cochlear implant would make it worst or better. Beats me.

Cheri, the CI helps with really severe tintinitas.
Not mild occasional tintinitus.
I know off the top of my head that they've found that the CI really helps with a form of severe tintintias.....for some reason I'm blanking out on the name of the condition.
Maybe generally its more of an indvidual thing.

Cheri, the CI helps with really severe tintinitas.
Not mild occasional tintinitus.
I know off the top of my head that they've found that the CI really helps with a form of severe tintintias.....for some reason I'm blanking out on the name of the condition.
Maybe generally its more of an indvidual thing.

recruitment? Is that the name you're looking for? I guess you're having one of those moments where you're certain you know which word you want but you can't remember which word it is.

I consume tons of caffine every day yet I've not had much ringing in my ear since I got implanted. The only time I've had my ear ring was when my very old landline phone rang; it's 30 years old. That phone has no volume control and it's so loud and jarring that I got rid of it. However, I do need to cut down on caffine as it makes my reflux worse.

My tinnitus is gone since I had my activation. It was so severe I could not sleep. So it did help me.

I met CI users at 5 weeks spa last years. It's not just them but HA users and hearing as well. They suffers tinnitus. Me, too but not very much. I don't have CI and don't wear HA for over 21 years. I feel it really has nothing do with CI and HA itself.

I had mild tinnitus and it got worst as my hearing gradually deteriorated over time prior to my CI.

Since the CI, it has completely disappeared and I'm loving it!

Unfortunately, having a CI is not a surefire cure for tinnitus. Some people never have tinnitus again, some others it becomes very mild and tolerable, and some it stays the same but the CI drowns it out while on.

I've never had tinnitus, but I have a friend who had horrendous tinnitus prior to being implanted and now its gone.

No, not recruitment, Meinure's disease.....that's it! The tintiuas apparently is cured when people with Meinure's are implanted.

I had horrible episodes of tinnitus that masked out everything. When I woke up from surgery, it was gone. It was great. During the recovery period, it came back but nowhere near the magnitude that it was prior to the surgery. After activation, I don't hear it unless I take my hardware off and go to sleep. It is my unimplanted ear that is a little noisy :)

Mine was really bad after the surgery. Then once the processor was turned on it wasn't as noticable. Now a year and a half later i'm not bothered but it at all for the most part. Before surgery I did have some but not all the time.

tinnitus reduction

Alternative treatments for tinnitus

Conventional wisdom says that there is no cure for tinnitus. There are many other alternative tinnitus treatment methods that have been tried with regard to finding some relief for this debilitating condition known as tinnitus which affects about 50 million people in the US alone.

There are many alternative treatments for tinnitus options available to the tinnitus sufferer today:

1. Acupressure: This was originated by the Chinese using this pressure on certain points of the body is thought to help decreasing the level of tinnitus.

2. The Alexander Technique (This is not really an alternative treatment for tinnitus): Here the tinnitus patient is taught posture and other techniques aimed at improving blood flow to the ears which is thought to relieve the symptoms of tinnitus.

3. Aromatherapy: Today aromatherapy treats patients as it is believed to help in reducing the tinnitus.

4. Biofeedback: Biofeedback is a method where people are taught to improve their health by using communications from their own bodies.

5. Deep Breathing: This is helpful in relaxation and in minimizing the stress. It is advised to take 175 deep breaths constantly every hour until tinnitus relief happens.

6. Chiropractic: This helps to improve blood supply to the head and ears which can help with tinnitus in certain individuals.

7. Diet, Vitamin and Nutritional Supplements: diets play a key role in the alternative treatment of tinnitus and vitamin and nutritional supplements help keep your immune system in shape.

8. Lifestyle: Tinnitus sufferers should exercise regularly to help increase blood supply to the head.

9. Massage: Massaging for tinnitus has been found to have some effect. Relief is obtained by using the thumb and index fingers to gently massage the earlobes and edge of the ears.

10. Meditation: It is basically a mind over body technique which helps improving tinnitus as one relaxes and try to concentrate on some other thing other than the symptoms.

11. Reflexology: When one is tired and stressed out tinnitus is at its worst and reflexology can help with relaxation techniques which in turn lead to a lowering of the tinnitus noises.

12. Low Level Laser Therapy: Low Level Laser Treatment (LLLT) for tinnitus has been practiced for about 20 years in Europe and is beginning to be recognized and practiced in Canada.
It stimulates mitochondria in the cells to produce energy through the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate). Mitochondria are the power supplies of all cells; they metabolize (burn) fuel and produce energy for the cell in the form of ATP. In stimulating the mitochondria, laser therapy can repair damaged tissue and return cells to a healthy state, reversing many degenerative conditions.

Of these, Low level Laser treatments for tinnitus are by far the most successful of all alternative treatments for tinnitus. Low Level Laser treatment is fast being acknowledged and accepted as the only safe treatment that brings positive results. Low Level Laser treatments do not have any side effects and have a long and proven history of relieving tinnitus.
laserkontrol

I spoke to a man today who was implanted some few years ago. HHe says the CI saved his life, because he had a horrible tinnitus and sometimes wanted to suicide because of it. The tinnitus is now gone, and his quality of life have improved very much, thanks to CI.

But another story I was told in the same conversation was about another guy I know, that got an implant this year, and he got some irritating sounds after the implantation. He did a surgery to remove it, as the sounds did not go away. But it did not help, and now he suffers from a horrible tinnitus.

When I used a hearing aid I found that some noises used to set my tinitus off. The worst was the fire alarm. I just had to hear that noise and then I would get to hear a fire alarm for literally hours. Fortunately my tinitus is not too bad now. Just sort of 'zzz' noises which I find easier to egnore then fire alarm noises.

Alternative treatments for tinnitus

Of these, Low level Laser treatments for tinnitus are by far the most successful of all alternative treatments for tinnitus. Low Level Laser treatment is fast being acknowledged and accepted as the only safe treatment that brings positive results. Low Level Laser treatments do not have any side effects and have a long and proven history of relieving tinnitus.
laserkontrol

Hi Laserkontrol,

Do you work in laser treatments for tinnitus? I'm just wondering because of your user name and the glowing report about laser treatments!

I've never heard of it even though you say that its the most successful of all alternative treatments for tinnitus. Are there any independent studies on this? I am interested. If it really is very successful, it would be useful information to pass on to others.

When I first suddenly experienced the extremely loud tinnitus I tried acupuncture and Chinese herbs but it didn't make any difference. I suspect that if the hearing loss is moderate then the tinnitus is easier to treat.

:ty: everyone for great replies! I think maybe most improve tinnitus after CI but some don't and a few start tinnitus after CI. I guess worst for me is no improvement because now tinnitus is always and horrible.

Laserkontrol - :ty: for so many good ideas. I started research into your ideas.

But I don't know if laser usually cures tinnitus. The studies I read say probably not I think but I never read anything about laser for tinnitus before.

---

Clinical Otolaryngology, volume 24 Issue 4 Page 346-354, August 1999: The low-power laser in the treatment of tinnitus

The purpose of this study was to evaluate the low-power laser on the treatment of tinnitus. In a randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, either active or placebo low-power laser irradiation was given through the external acoustic meatus of the affected ear towards the cochlea. The active laser applied 50mW (cw, 830 nm) over a period of 10 min per session. Forty-nine patients with severe, chronic uni- or bilateral tinnitus were studied. The main outcome was measured using psychoacoustical match of tinnitus loudness and pitch, Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) ratings of subjective loudness, annoyance and attention involved, scores on the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI), the Tinnitus Coping Style Questionnaire (TCSQ), and a number of psychosocial questionnaires. The results showed only moderate (18%) subjective improvement with no statistically significant differences between the effects of the active laser and placebo treatments. Also, there were no statistically significant differences in prepost measurements of tinnitus loudness, VAS scores, THI scores, or TCSQ scores for patients treated with active laser compared with those treated with placebo. We conclude that low-power laser treatment is not indicated in the treatment of tinnitus. Reports of significant benefits of this treatment in previous, mostly uncontrolled or single-blinded studies may be explained by the placebo effect.

---

Otology & Neurotology, 23(3):296-300, May 2002: Transmeatal Low-power Laser Irradiation for Tinnitus.

Objective: To evaluate effectiveness of 60-mW laser irradiation in the treatment of tinnitus.

Study Design: Prospective, randomized double-blind study.

Methods: This investigation included 68 ears in 45 patients with disabling unilateral or bilateral tinnitus. The active or placebo laser treatment was administered transmeatally once a week for 6 minutes. Laser irradiation was performed four times during a 4-week period. A questionnaire was administered to evaluate the loudness, duration, quality, and annoyance of tinnitus before and after irradiation. The loudness and pitch match for tinnitus were obtained, and distortion product otoacoustic emissions were also examined.

Results: No significant difference was observed between the active and placebo laser groups with regard to outcome of loudness, duration, quality, and annoyance of tinnitus. In one patient who received active laser treatment, acute hearing deterioration occurred after the third irradiation.

Conclusion: Transmeatal low-power laser irradiation with 60 mW is not effective for the treatment of tinnitus.

---

LaserKontrol - what is your opinion of these? I hope laser works. :ty:

Hello my first time here

:ty: everyone for great replies! I think maybe most improve tinnitus after CI but some don't and a few start tinnitus after CI. I guess worst for me is no improvement because now tinnitus is always and horrible.

Laserkontrol - :ty: for so many good ideas. I started research into your ideas.

But I don't know if laser usually cures tinnitus. The studies I read say probably not I think but I never read anything about laser for tinnitus before.

---

Clinical Otolaryngology, volume 24 Issue 4 Page 346-354, August 1999: The low-power laser in the treatment of tinnitus

The purpose of this study was to evaluate the low-power laser on the treatment of tinnitus. In a randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, either active or placebo low-power laser irradiation was given through the external acoustic meatus of the affected ear towards the cochlea. The active laser applied 50mW (cw, 830 nm) over a period of 10 min per session. Forty-nine patients with severe, chronic uni- or bilateral tinnitus were studied. The main outcome was measured using psychoacoustical match of tinnitus loudness and pitch, Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) ratings of subjective loudness, annoyance and attention involved, scores on the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI), the Tinnitus Coping Style Questionnaire (TCSQ), and a number of psychosocial questionnaires. The results showed only moderate (18%) subjective improvement with no statistically significant differences between the effects of the active laser and placebo treatments. Also, there were no statistically significant differences in prepost measurements of tinnitus loudness, VAS scores, THI scores, or TCSQ scores for patients treated with active laser compared with those treated with placebo. We conclude that low-power laser treatment is not indicated in the treatment of tinnitus. Reports of significant benefits of this treatment in previous, mostly uncontrolled or single-blinded studies may be explained by the placebo effect.

---

Otology & Neurotology, 23(3):296-300, May 2002: Transmeatal Low-power Laser Irradiation for Tinnitus.

Objective: To evaluate effectiveness of 60-mW laser irradiation in the treatment of tinnitus.

Study Design: Prospective, randomized double-blind study.

Methods: This investigation included 68 ears in 45 patients with disabling unilateral or bilateral tinnitus. The active or placebo laser treatment was administered transmeatally once a week for 6 minutes. Laser irradiation was performed four times during a 4-week period. A questionnaire was administered to evaluate the loudness, duration, quality, and annoyance of tinnitus before and after irradiation. The loudness and pitch match for tinnitus were obtained, and distortion product otoacoustic emissions were also examined.

Results: No significant difference was observed between the active and placebo laser groups with regard to outcome of loudness, duration, quality, and annoyance of tinnitus. In one patient who received active laser treatment, acute hearing deterioration occurred after the third irradiation.

Conclusion: Transmeatal low-power laser irradiation with 60 mW is not effective for the treatment of tinnitus.

---

LaserKontrol - what is your opinion of these? I hope laser works. :ty:

Hello everyone

My name is charlotte, i am deaf, i've been tinnitus for 3 years now, about 3 years ago i got mugged make me big shocked then few week later my ear left one got tinnitus, i was so scared going out cos of what happened 3 years agos, so now i am ok but i was try ignore with tinnitus for 3 years, my family help me and my boyfriend help me everythings, i can going out sometime i feel safe with my boyfriend. Sometime my left ear tinnitus sometime gone for long time but coming back for few day, i alway ignore it i know nothing wrong with my ear, i found out i learn how to calm and enjoy my life, i know is hard for everyone got tinnitus i do understand how feeling was horrible things background.
I remmy that when i found out i got tinnitus i thought was me but i realise everyone got same i am glad i not lonely person, i just want talk someone help understand about tinnitus.
Anyone want talk about just email me ok i just want make new friend :)

Many thanks.:lol:

Tinnitus/Headache

Hello everyone

My name is charlotte, i am deaf, i've been tinnitus for 3 years now, about 3 years ago i got mugged make me big shocked then few week later my ear left one got tinnitus, i was so scared going out cos of what happened 3 years agos, so now i am ok but i was try ignore with tinnitus for 3 years, my family help me and my boyfriend help me everythings, i can going out sometime i feel safe with my boyfriend. Sometime my left ear tinnitus sometime gone for long time but coming back for few day, i alway ignore it i know nothing wrong with my ear, i found out i learn how to calm and enjoy my life, i know is hard for everyone got tinnitus i do understand how feeling was horrible things background.
I remmy that when i found out i got tinnitus i thought was me but i realise everyone got same i am glad i not lonely person, i just want talk someone help understand about tinnitus.
Anyone want talk about just email me ok i just want make new friend :)

Many thanks.:lol:

I curious about to really problem headache is very risk. I don't believe why not sure figure out to headache prevant to advil help control on your inside head. I don't understand what is happened difficult to medication to strong be help you. I did get needle shot stop headache. I don't think so not easy perfect to change your life. I don't want to worst to give you cause bad risk, sometimes can you fool med not work. I cannot take med tyleno is not work. I don't like side effect to on my body. I don't know however what is explain to me explain to cause warning about to risk?

what is point the cochlear implant is on headache? what do you think so side effect or stress pressure what do you think exactly right to know?

I don't know ask you experience on cochlear implant to headache? What do you think so dizzy can cause really very dangerous with med.

I got prevent to flu shot my flurvial is help better stop it virus.

I don't know what is means problem feeling stranger?

I curious about to really problem headache is very risk. I don't believe why not sure figure out to headache prevant to advil help control on your inside head. I don't understand what is happened difficult to medication to strong be help you. I did get needle shot stop headache. I don't think so not easy perfect to change your life. I don't want to worst to give you cause bad risk, sometimes can you fool med not work. I cannot take med tyleno is not work. I don't like side effect to on my body. I don't know however what is explain to me explain to cause warning about to risk?

what is point the cochlear implant is on headache? what do you think so side effect or stress pressure what do you think exactly right to know?

I don't know ask you experience on cochlear implant to headache? What do you think so dizzy can cause really very dangerous with med.

I got prevent to flu shot my flurvial is help better stop it virus.

I don't know what is means problem feeling stranger?

smithtr,

In my experience, I had a reduction in the amount of migraine headaches I've experienced since my first CI surgery. Prior to receiving my first CI, I had migraines almost daily. I'm also on an anticonvulsant medication (which is designed to relieve/prevent migraines), so that may also have something to do with it.

As far as tinnitus is concerned, I had extremely bad tinnitus following both of my CI surgeries. My tinnitus alternated between 8 different sounds. Just when I became used to one sound, it would change to another. Needless to say, it was very frustrating. Fortunately, the tinnitus improved significantly 6-8 months following each CI activation. The tinnitus I now experience is mild to moderate and only consists of a high, low or medium ringing sound.

Back