CI and hay fever/allergies

Vivie

Reaction score
:roll:

I seem that I always am making new threads..

Since starting college , I was staying somewhere that has a lot of humidity and it destroyed my sinus area ( I was almost always with my nose stuffed up though ,since I remember myself, but no ENT doctor ever helped me ) and I had that attack with a slight fever. Since then I was always taking preventative measures ( lot of sea water , blowing my nose often , preventative sprey for my nose )

Since operation , five months later , I have been havin that problem..every time that I try to blow my nose , my implanted ear would always go 'clack-pop' and sometimes hurting my ear ( like someone compressed the air in there ) it's not any way interfering with CI , but I'm afraid that I will do damage to the internal implant so I don't do that anymore but I don't want to go worse , and I've been taking my preventative medicine at double or sometimes triple doses :shock: to clear up my nose .

If I let it go worse , I have allery reaction and my nose 's completely stuffed up and my throat closed tight and can't breathe/talk very well, and when I'm in that situation only some fever meds and Zyrtec seems to help me but the preventative medicine has cortizone in it and I'm not supposed to be abusing it.My ENT does not know anything about the implant and said that I'd ask my implant ENT :roll: Thought I'd ask , see if anyone experiences that like me or if I'm the rare species *again* sometimes it gets so tiresome to be always an exception to the general rules :lol:

I wake up in night and I can't even breathe and only an double dose does the trick so I can go back to sleep..:roll: Pretty desperate here..:(

Vivie,

I have hay fever and year round allergies. (I take the generic of Allegra for my allergies) I asked my CI surgeon whether or not blowing my nose would have a negative impact on the internal CI and he said no. Like you, I also experience a "popping" sensation in both of my ears when I blow my nose, but it isn't painful. I don't know what to suggest except to discuss this with your CI surgeon and/or perhaps try a different allergy medication. Hope you feel better soon -- I know how miserable allergies can be. :(

I was concerned that using CPAP will harm my implant but after a period no longer a issue. When I blow my nose I do it just one nozzle at a time do not plug both sides at the same time. Second I use a mucus thinner like Guaifenesin which helps.

Concern about to risk health

I don't know what is happen about to cause prevent to flu really risk. That is better get health will any help you body.

I before low blood really very risk. I don't know reason not involves with cochlear implant. I understand air pressure with ear. I think so maybe allergy or wheather of condition for your body influence depend on body. I don't know what is couldn't tell about to health.

Doctor how find inspector for you health will figure out anytime. All Canadian is many people have worst flu and fever. I think so very not good cochlear implant. I don't know myself if I can't say description about to aware condition.

important to every one next year more get flu shot. I always important to virus or sick

When I blow my nose I do it just one nozzle at a time do not plug both sides at the same time.

Good suggestion, john. This is what my CI surgeon told me to do. (I forgot to mention this in my post above.)

that is interest to about to infomation

You do best go to doctor ask you, What is wrong health?

Hear Again, I do one nozzle at the time as you put it, but it's the same.I use some thinner too but to no avail.

I will tell my doctor about that.Maybe he can suggest something stronger?

Hear Again, I do one nozzle at the time as you put it, but it's the same.I use some thinner too but to no avail.

I will tell my doctor about that.Maybe he can suggest something stronger?

Vivie,

I would ask your doctor if he could prescribe a stronger allergy medication. In my case, I used to take 10 milligrams of Zyrtec, but had to change to the Allegra generic (Fexofenadine) since Zyrtec was no longer effective.

I have terrible allergies. My CI doctor put me on a nasal spray. That helps. I had to increase the sprays to two sprays twice a day. I have problems with ear infections. I has this before the CIs too.

My primary doctor tends to want to counsel my CI doctor, so I just go to my CI doctor for anything related to the ears and allergies.

Vivie,
I'm sorry to hear you have such bad hayfever. I would try to stop the problem at it's source though rather then just increase drug use. As it could be that your body is trying to tell you something. Also I'd advise seeing a doctor about your problem.

dreama..I do know the source of the problem...it's the college humidity and the general humidity of the place I live..I can't change anything right now abt that so I have to suck it up.

The doctor put me up in two sprays , I spray the one medicine , then the other and I am okay for the next 6-7 hours rather than the one spray every hour ...

Speaking of CI and hay fever and other allergies issues. I don't think it cause by CI. But it always possible if there been any research on that. I had allgeries my whole life. But I used allgera but it didn't help me much. Now I use Zyrtec and it helps me pretty good, So expect one problem that Zyrtec do make me feel tired with no engery that all. :)

Does your nose get so stuffed up at night? Have you tried "Breathe Right"? I always use that when i get congestion...when I get congestion, it's very severe that my eyes gets very puffy and I can't breathe (I think I have bad nasal issues..I used to suffer from nosebleeds all the time when I was a kid...until one doc finally burned the memberanes).

My fiance suffers from Allergies as well...(Las Vegas environment and trees are different than NJ!), so he uses Breathe Right at night, and it helps keep the nasal passages open.

He uses Zyrtec as well.

Lady I do not know what Breathe Right is..care to enlighten me ?

as for Zyrtec we have it here too and I take it when I'm really sick only..and has a bit of foul taste!

the problem has gone away ( I'm starting to see a pattern every month..Every time that I'm with extra lining I seem to be extra suffering! lol )

Breathe Right

Here's the website! I'm pretty sure they have something similar in Europe. They may be called "Nasal Strips" or something of the sort. You see them all the time on Pro Football (American football, not soccer. :) ) players. It helps them breathe a bit better.

as for Zyrtec we have it here too and I take it when I'm really sick only..and has a bit of foul taste!

I used to take Zyrtec, so I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to its foul taste. What I found helpful is to take Zyrtec with Coca-Cola -- it completely eliminates any aftertaste.

lol HearAgain , you found the one person that finds DISGUSTING all the carbonated drinks! can't stand the lot of them..hmmm

Lady, thanks I'm seeing the webpage , and no , we don't have anything similar , only the VERY big drugstores have something like that..we have only an anti-snore spray which my dad's taking :) thanks for the suggestion!! ( I have to move to the States..it's so depressing sometimes to see Greece is sooo behind on so many things! )

Vivie,

LOL! What about drinking orange juice? That works just as well as Coca-Cola.

LOL! juices have the same taste for me..I live by milk with Quick and water! LOL!

Oh I LOVE Quik with milk! I hate Yoohoo...it's not true chocolate Milk. :)

If you ever get it again in a small bottle, I RECOMMEND you leave it in the Freezer for an hour or so, just enough where it's slush, but not frozen over...it tastes SO good going down your throat! :) I do this all the time when I get sore throat.

Back