Christianity: Long lifespans

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
Please read this first.
Simple rules for my thread.
1. Keep it clean, please. (no insulting, rudeness, etc)
2. Keep this thread under control, please.
3. Of course, be resfect and use common sense.
4. NO KIND OF ANY DEBATE ALLOWED.

In importance note - I don't want to see anyone else said "your bible is wrong; it's totally myth/a fairy tale/etc; but religion people said the same thing!; etc etc etc" THIS THREAD IS FOR CHRISTIANITY DISCUSSION ONLY, PERIOD. Thank you for understanding. :)

I like to know about long lifespans in the Bible. I'd rather to share the old/new KJV only to discuss about it.

I wonder, why did they live so much longer than today? How did something effect on people to have many years of the age? I already know about Flood story, yeah, but my point is long lifespan before the Flood. I really want to know more about this part.

Come on and discussion, chat is accpetable as long as this thread is must stay on topic. :D :D :D

Please read this first.
Simple rules for my thread.
1. Keep it clean, please. (no insulting, rudeness, etc)
2. Keep this thread under control, please.
3. Of course, be resfect and use common sense.
4. NO KIND OF ANY DEBATE ALLOWED.

In importance note - I don't want to see anyone else said "your bible is wrong; it's totally myth/a fairy tale/etc; but religion people said the same thing!; etc etc etc" THIS THREAD IS FOR CHRISTIANITY DISCUSSION ONLY, PERIOD. Thank you for understanding. :)

I like to know about long lifespans in the Bible. I'd rather to share the old/new KJV only to discuss about it.

I wonder, why did they live so much longer than today? How did something effect on people to have many years of the age? I already know about Flood story, yeah, but my point is long lifespan before the Flood. I really want to know more about this part.

Come on and discussion, chat is accpetable as long as this thread is must stay on topic. :D :D :D

Yearly calendars kept time differently in Biblical times.

In the other note

Non-religion or a kind of religion people is welcomed and can discuss/chat about this thread, please keep that mind, just follow my rules.

Thank you once again. :D

God in His wisdom designed the lifespan of man to fit into His overall plan.

Is it related to this thread? If not, this is about longvity lifestyle, it's not about a time and calendar.

I thought it was related, because their calendar years were different, therefore, their age in years was different from the way we calculate age now. You asked why they lived longer, and I was simply explaining that it probably wasn't that they lived so much longer, but that age was calculated differently.

I thought it was related, because their calendar years were different, therefore, their age in years was different from the way we calculate age now. You asked why they lived longer, and I was simply explaining that it probably wasn't that they lived so much longer, but that age was calculated differently.

I can understand that reasoning however, there is only one day and one night due to rotation of Earth and the Bible describes how one day is counted and it is same as how we count a day. I think our calenders are close enough to say the age is counted same as today.

Genesis 5

1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; 2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. 3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: 4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: 7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: 8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died. 9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan: 10 And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters: 11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died. 12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel: 13 And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters: 14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died. 15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: 16 And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters: 17 And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died. 18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch: 19 And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 20 And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.

21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: 22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: 24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech: 26 And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters: 27 And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.

28 And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son: 29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. 30 And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters: 31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died. 32 And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Genesis 9

28 And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years. 29 And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.

One word... evolution. ;)

Seriously, the timespan was probably done differently. Instead of one year being 365 days, they probably had one year being 100 days or something. It took years to get a more accurate reading of what one year is.

Technically, one year is approximately 365.25 days. That's why we have 365 days for 3 years, then 366 days for leap year... like this year. (The exact number is something like 365.256366 days.)

If they were to say that each year was 100 days, then a person who was 50 years old would be seen as almost 183 years old.

Seriously, the timespan was probably done differently. Instead of one year being 365 days, they probably had one year being 100 days or something. It took years to get a more accurate reading of what one year is.

Technically, one year is approximately 365.25 days. That's why we have 365 days for 3 years, then 366 days for leap year... like this year. (The exact number is something like 365.256366 days.)

If they were to say that each year was 100 days, then a person who was 50 years old would be seen as almost 183 years old.

Personally, I dont belive in evolution and I think time was counted same as today and their age is cuonted as same as we do today.

Interesting read... The topic is also discussed in Google groups, but nobody has an answer though..:)

I can't imagine people living to 1000 years today. Yeah, I know life expectancy will increase as science/technology progresses. But, I don't think living in an over populated world would be good.

Personally, I dont belive in evolution and I think time was counted same as today and their age is cuonted as same as we do today.
You should check out the history behind the Gregorian Calendar and Julian Calendar. They were established after Jesus was supposedly born. However, the months were named after other gods. Kinda odd for a Christian calendar to be using months named after gods when they say there's only one God. ;)

You should check out the history behind the Gregorian Calendar and Julian Calendar. They were established after Jesus was supposedly born. However, the months were named after other gods. Kinda odd for a Christian calendar to be using months named after gods when they say there's only one God. ;)

Yes, that's right.

Julian calendar (365 days) was first introduced by Julius Caesar in 46 BC. I remember those history at school.

I found those link.
Julian calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jillios, yes you are correct about the calendar.

One of the more intriguing aspects of the Bible is the list of prediluvian patriarchs and their age. Methuselah was said to have lived to the impressive age of 969 years, though “the First Man”, Adam, lived for a solid 930 years – respectable for any prototype.

Detailed recordkeeping of people’s date of birth and death is both a relatively recent, and still largely western practice. But from the available records, it is clear that Man’s age-limit seems to lie somewhere between 115 and 120 years – however few attain it. The oldest attested person on record is the French Jeanne Calment, who lived to be 122 years and 164 days, born as she was on February 21, 1875 and dying on August 4, 1997. If Adam had heard this news, he would say she had died in her infancy.

The list as given in Genesis 5 goes as follows:

Adam 930 years; begetting a son at the age of 130
Seth 912 years; begetting a son at the age of 105
Enos 905 years; begetting a son at the age of 90
Cainan 910 years; begetting a son at the age of 75
Mahalaleel 895 years; begetting a son at the age of 65
Jared 962 years; begetting a son at the age of 162
Enoch 365 years before walking with god; begetting a son at the age of 65
Methuselah 969 years; begetting a son at the age of 187
Lamech 777 years; begetting a son at the age of 182
Noach 950 years; begetting a son at the age of 500

Faced with these superhuman ages, the faithful are often told or encouraged to accept the veracity of these life spans that far exceed modern man’s life expectancy and anything that the archaeological records have uncovered. Hence, in the search to “understand” and make the account “acceptable”, people have tried to reduce these hard to imagine life-spans to more mundane possibilities and further read in those link.

Biblical rationality

I remembered to question JW people about longspans in the bible than our present times.

JW people explained it was started after Noah Ark time. Before Noak Ark time, the people stay alive to 900 or more years old and after Noak Ark, less than 500 years old. They didn't explain exact reason and why... I need an exact... I know what I was taught at school about the different between Hedbrew and Roman calendars.

I feel it's not right because I know that some people who stay alive up to 100 or more in 90s time... It's something do with difference calendar during AD and BC time...

See this example...
122 years old French Jeanne Calment died last 1997.
Jeanne Calment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Calendar Converter and Translator
Calendar Converter and Translator

Hi there.
This thread is about Christianty and long-lifespan, it's not about evolution. Besides, it's not related to here. Please don't bring it here, thank you. ^_^

Also, normally, people think Bible is wrong because of date error. Well.. You know who is the firstborn child of Adam and Eve is Cain, right? Cain had his son when he was 72 years old. If you divide his age by all 12 months (72 divide 12) then it would be 6 years old to have a child. It's too way impossible. This is show me that the most people in the past know what was a year, month, and day is.

That's what (some) Creationists/Chistians believe in.

Genesis 5

1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; 2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. 3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: 4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: 7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: 8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died. 9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan: 10 And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters: 11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died. 12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel: 13 And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters: 14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died. 15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: 16 And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters: 17 And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died. 18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch: 19 And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 20 And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.

21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: 22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: 24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech: 26 And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters: 27 And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.

28 And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son: 29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. 30 And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters: 31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died. 32 And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Genesis 9

28 And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years. 29 And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.

HOW DID THEY LIVE? I think it's because of something with atmosphere and the kind of water above the atmosphere before time of Flood.. I don't know really. I'm confusion about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back