children 6 and under banned from resturant

People go out to the restaurants to have a good time. That's why they have McDonald's for the families.

and getting fatter. *sorry, cldn't resist :) *

MIL & I eat out a lot. Usually whenever I have to take her anywhere. We have run into the whole bit of noisy clientele. If it's not toddlers or small children, it's then teens who make rude and disgusting remarks about the older people. It could be the middle aged couple who are telling jokes or something and getting carried away. We've also had cases where the wait staff was hollering across the dining room for one thing or another (that was at Red Lobster and Olive Garden). Maybe it's where we live, but I think in general, most people just don't care anymore and more and more people are not taught at home about proper decorum in a public place.

That restaurant there isn't 100% a family restaurant because it has a bar that serves alcohol for adults so that's part of why they ban kids under 6 yrs old to be there. Even though there are some good parents that do try to teach kids good behavior, but no matter what...kids under 6 will always be loud and uncontrollable at times so that restaurant isn't a good place for them when it doesn't even have a playground for them like McDonald's or Burger King, etc.

It is private business so they could whatever they want like no children allowed.

That restaurant there isn't 100% a family restaurant because it has a bar that serves alcohol for adults so that's part of why they ban kids under 6 yrs old to be there. Even though there are some good parents that do try to teach kids good behavior, but no matter what...kids under 6 will always be loud and uncontrollable at times so that restaurant isn't a good place for them when it doesn't even have a playground for them like McDonald's or Burger King, etc.

No, they banned children that under 6 due to noise issues.

I am fine with that. Imagine children run around and can cause waiter to trip over and hurt themselves and made them to sue them who is not watch their children.

Exactly, some parents are irresponsible.

Civil rights of small children? Phooey. Where did we get the idea that no one can do anything that may offend or bother you? It's a restaurant, and they reserve the right to refuse service to children six and under. It's no different than a local theatre banning kids under six.

Of course, it has nothing with civil rights. :lol:

Sometimes it's not just the noise from kids. I've been seated at a booth in a restaurant and had the kids behind me hanging over the seat back, kicking on it, dropping food over it, etc. Also, kids running around are hazards for the wait staff who could be tripped up and spill their trays.

Yup, I had seen like that a lot of time.

At Moe's Southwest Grill, I put my meal on table and went to fill the drink then one of upset kid swiped my meal off the table to floor so I was WTF at him then his father got angry and took him to home so I got other meal at no charge. The manager told me that little boy want kind of table. :roll:

Most restaurants wouldn't be able to do that, though, due to the constraints of their space.

I applaud this guy. If I lived in the area, I would go there and make a point of mentioning why.

It's unrealistic to keep little children calm enough for long enough for a sit-down dinner at a nice restaurant. DeafCaroline, you certainly had the right approach with your kids! When kids are old enough to understand the rules, and physically mature enough to sit still, that's a different thing. Around age 6 seems reasonable.

My daughter behaved very well.

However, this restaurant would have lost me as a customer, I would have been attending other places. No big deal.

I don't mess around - I tell my DD upfront before we go into ANY restaurant that if I have to get on to her, we will be leaving immediately. It took only one time for her to realize what I meant. We were at a McDonald's that didn't have a play ground and she wanted to get up an wander around. I told her to sit down and she said 'no'. I immediately dumped our food and her toy into the trash and left. She threw a wall-eyed fit (which was followed by a firm swat to the rump) but after that incident she learned that if she doesn't do what she is supposed to do, she doesn't get to do what she wants to do. She was 4 or 5 at the time, she's seven now. Now I get complimented on how well behaved she is! Just goes to show that if the rules are enforced - children will follow them.

maybe they should just forget it, have a special room with small beds designed for knocked out kids, like they should provide a face-flannel laced with a dosage of cloroform to last 3 hours at the dooway, waiting foyer while awaiting the table become available so there this is a win-win , no ban to worry about and still have that real peace and quiet

I agree with the restaurant...there is nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a babysitter (which sometimes costs more than the date itself) just to go out on a date without kids (come on, we all need a break every once in a while, especially since I'm a teacher who deal with children for a living) only to sit down and hear kids all around us, throwing napkins, running around, crying... My girls behave very well in public (people tell me that ALL the time) but unfortunately, many parents let the kids rule their roosts. And it shows. :(

This restaurant is close enough to me for me to go there.

I agree with this restaurant owner 100%. It has been an increasing problem in my surrounding area of parents allowing their children to do whatever they want. This restaurant is free standing on the property of a golf course. The golf course only offers lessons to those who are 6 years of age and older. The restaurant is not their main aim of their business. The golf course is.

My daughter's father tried to take her to restaurants similar to this one when she was 3, 4, and 5 years old. He was never willing to leave because that would mess with his plans to hang out. She didn't behave for him at restaurants at all.

I refused to go out to eat to any place other than Eat N Park or Denny's and similar family type restaurants. I never had to take her out of a restaurant for misbehaving. She knew that my rules go no matter where we are and they have consequences if they are broken. Going out to eat was a treat and she took the privilege of going out to eat and treated it as such.

Parents who do not wish to take the time to properly instruct/raise their children have ensured that they can not take them to this eatery.

I am around my DD all the time, and yes as much as I love her, I sometimes wish I could get a bit of a break to where I can have adult interaction outside of a work environment.

I like the way you and DeafCaroline have handled your kids.

(Slips - that was to aRachel.)

If it's not toddlers or small children, it's then teens who make rude and disgusting remarks about the older people. It could be the middle aged couple who are telling jokes or something and getting carried away.

Older children and adults can be told to control themselves but if a younger child is told to control himself, the child's parents get all in the staff's face about it.

That restaurant there isn't 100% a family restaurant because it has a bar that serves alcohol for adults so that's part of why they ban kids under 6 yrs old to be there.

Hooters considers itself a family friendly restaurant.

I am around my DD all the time, and yes as much as I love her, I sometimes wish I could get a bit of a break to where I can have adult interaction outside of a work environment.

That's why there are baby-sitters, someone can arrange a get-together at a park for a group picnic, etc. You don't swap your load of burden with the wait staff and the other customers. Not to mention the wait staff are not to be used as personal maids when a kid makes a big mess.

It's understandable for them to ban little children. I feel the same way when I go to restaurants. I've had friends who would pay to have a babysitter to come babysit their kids so that they can go out and have a romantic dinner alone... only to have their dinner ruined by screaming kids running around at the same restaurant. There have been times when I'd be on a date and have a hard time because some kids are running around, making noises, or kicking the chair that I'm sitting in.

Most kids don't want to go to a nice restaurant anyways. Too much pressure for them to enjoy their meal because the expectations on how to behave in public at nice places are often developmentally inappropriate. Kids everywhere will probably think "Yay! We are banned from going there! Let's go to Chuck-N-Cheese!" ;)

Back