children 6 and under banned from resturant

Babyblue

Reaction score
Noise Prompts Monroeville Restaurant To Ban Young Kids - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

The eatery on Broadway Boulevard in Monroeville has decided to stop admitting young children, and she's the mother of a toddler.
"I can't believe this. I am offended. This is just an ignorant policy," Kelley told Team 4 investigator Jim Parsons.
In an email sent to loyal McDain's customers, owner Mike Vuick wrote, "Beginning July 16, 2011, McDain's Restaurant will no longer admit children under six years of age. We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

Vuick explained his reasoning to Team 4 on Friday, saying, "I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish, and therefore, I instituted a policy."
The owner said he won't make exceptions with the new rule.
"Nothing wrong with babies, but the fact is you can't control their volume," Vuick said. "There may be restaurants that prefer to cater to such things. Not here."

Kelley's son, Jameson, is 13 months old. She had planned a July 16 dinner outing at McDain's with a group of 20 visiting family members from North Carolina, but Vuick told her he would not take the reservation if she plans to bring young Jameson.
"We really enjoy eating at McDain's, and Jameson is very well-behaved," Kelley said. "If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?"
Customers who spoke with Parsons on Friday said children in the restaurant don't bother them, but they support Vuick's right to deny service.
"It's up to him. If he thinks they're a problem under 6, then I think the patrons should abide by that," Suzanne Swigart said.

"Out they go," Paul Swigart said. "if that's his determination, out they go."
Vuick said he's confident that a majority of his customers will support the new policy.
"We've had the place here for 22 years, and the restaurant for nine, and I've noticed in those nine years there are certain parents who can't leave their children at home," Vuick said.
"You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."
Restaurants cannot ban senior citizens, because they're in a protected class under the law, but there is no law that protects children from being denied service.

Opinions?

I think it is a bit too much to ban small children altogether. I think perhaps they should have certain hours for adults only. Do you think it infringes on civil rights of small children??

I don't know. I can't tell you how many times i wanted to throttle parents for yelling at their kids for two hours "if you don't cut that out, we're leaving".

It's like, then leave already! If your kids didn't listen to you the first 10 times you said that, what makes you think they will listen after you've said it 30, 40 times?????

My kids acted up once in a restaurant. I immediately told the waiter to bag up our food and we left in under five minutes. My kids were upset because they wanted to stay and eat and I told them that if they can't behave then we can't eat in restaurants.

They never acted up again in restaurants.

Unfortunately, too many parents are tolerant of their children running amok screaming in restaurants and i find that very very disrespectful for other people.

*face palm* I really do need to proof read before I post. In my title "restaurant" is misspelled. Mods if you see this please correct the spelling. :) Thanks.

It is not the childrens fault if the parents can't control them, but if you go out for a quiet dinner and all you can hear is their child it ruins the night. I think it is a good idea and I bet they gain trade from people looking for just such a quiet meal.

People go out to the restaurants to have a good time. That's why they have McDonald's for the families.

I don't know. I can't tell you how many times i wanted to throttle parents for yelling at their kids for two hours "if you don't cut that out, we're leaving".

It's like, then leave already! If your kids didn't listen to you the first 10 times you said that, what makes you think they will listen after you've said it 30, 40 times?????

My kids acted up once in a restaurant. I immediately told the waiter to bag up our food and we left in under five minutes. My kids were upset because they wanted to stay and eat and I told them that if they can't behave then we can't eat in restaurants.

Unfortunately, too many parents are tolerant of their children running amok screaming in restaurants and i find that very very disrespectful for other people.

I totally agree! Patrons have a right to eat in peace and quiet. Especially if they are paying for the same service as parents with out of control children.

I thin so banned not allow on Chidren 6 restaurant, I don't know what is happened!

I am deaf so it does not bother me at all but with my hearing husband and his bad back and pain, the loud from kids at restaurant make him nervous and hard time to eat. I can understand why they banned any children under 6. I have almost 2 year old grandson and he can be so loud, then he will be taken outside to calm down. At my mom's funeral, he threw fit because he wanted to run around the church so he was taken outside till he calmed down. How do you force not so 2 year old yet to sit still for one hour? impossible.

I am deaf so it does not bother me at all but with my hearing husband and his bad back and pain, the loud from kids at restaurant make him nervous and hard time to eat. I can understand why they banned any children under 6. I have almost 2 year old grandson and he can be so loud, then he will be taken outside to calm down. At my mom's funeral, he threw fit because he wanted to run around the church so he was taken outside till he calmed down. How do you force not so 2 year old yet to sit still for one hour? impossible.

then don't bring a two year old to a restaurant if he is going to scream his head off. would you bring me to a restaurant knowing fully well i would run around and scream?

If it had to get to that point when people are not able to enjoy a quiet meal due to children screaming and crying, then I don't blame the owner. There are restaurants for children to run around, scream, and play. Buffets are good places to take children.

then don't bring a two year old to a restaurant if he is going to scream his head off. would you bring me to a restaurant knowing fully well i would run around and scream?
I am not his parents but as his grandmother I would take him to Mc Donald for short time. This Thursday we will celebrate my son's birthday and I am not sure if my son will bring him to restaurant or not yet but they are good parents with him. ( I want to see him and miss him terribly, busy with work and life around here) My husband know how to control him as he is his babysitter. He listened to him. Anyway reason why he was acted this way at funeral, he was over tired. He slept for 4 hours after funeral. I am talking about parents let kids scream at restaurant and do nothing that is what upset my husband while other parents take them outside to calm down for little bit.

Restaurants should allow a special room Family room for people with small children. And a separated adult room for people who wants to eat in peace.

Kind of like the old days where they had the smoking and non smoking section.

Perhaps that will help.

Most restaurants wouldn't be able to do that, though, due to the constraints of their space.

I applaud this guy. If I lived in the area, I would go there and make a point of mentioning why.

It's unrealistic to keep little children calm enough for long enough for a sit-down dinner at a nice restaurant. DeafCaroline, you certainly had the right approach with your kids! When kids are old enough to understand the rules, and physically mature enough to sit still, that's a different thing. Around age 6 seems reasonable.

Restaurants should allow a special room Family room for people with small children. And a separated adult room for people who wants to eat in peace.

Kind of like the old days where they had the smoking and non smoking section.

Perhaps that will help.

Great idea!...and I don't feel that children should be allowed in a restaurant if there is an open Bar also (alcoholic beverages being served).

Sometimes it's not just the noise from kids. I've been seated at a booth in a restaurant and had the kids behind me hanging over the seat back, kicking on it, dropping food over it, etc. Also, kids running around are hazards for the wait staff who could be tripped up and spill their trays.

Great idea!...and I don't feel that children should be allowed in a restaurant if there is an open Bar also (alcoholic beverages being served).
Good idea. It seems recently there's been a rash of children being accidentally served alcoholic drinks in family restaurants. (I heard about another one yesterday.)

Sometimes it's not just the noise from kids. I've been seated at a booth in a restaurant and had the kids behind me hanging over the seat back, kicking on it, dropping food over it, etc. Also, kids running around are hazards for the wait staff who could be tripped up and spill their trays.

Yup, I have seen that before. Kids running around the restaurant like it is Chucky Cheese or something!!

I would do same.

Civil rights of small children? Phooey. Where did we get the idea that no one can do anything that may offend or bother you? It's a restaurant, and they reserve the right to refuse service to children six and under. It's no different than a local theatre banning kids under six.

I am fine with that. Imagine children run around and can cause waiter to trip over and hurt themselves and made them to sue them who is not watch their children.

Back