Child crying while CI being activated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again from my experience- there is nothing in your ear-how can it be painful? Something "new" in Implant operations since July 12, 2007?

Maybe watch the video and read the entire thread?

If you read the comments under the video, the mom (I think - not entirely clear) says Chris is doing fine now, and is learning both English and Spanish. They expect (or hope) that he will continue to do so.

It looked to me like the audi (if that's the woman in the background) quickly reached over to do something - either turn it down or give him a toy to distract him or something. I didn't see anyone laughing at the little boy. It would be interesting to know what happened immediately after that, if they turned down the volume or what, and how long it took him to get used to hearing sounds.

The second video clip is so different. Clearly he's a little older and had the mental capacity to know what to expect. Those smiles seem completely natural; he looks happy with what he is hearing.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. While I don't think it's a good idea to force CIs upon little kids - calling it child abuse is a bit extreme.

If that were true, parents would get arrested every time they brought their kids into the doctor for shots. Those hurt, make kids cry...

I'm curious. How can you implant babies with CIs, yet they cannot play with toys that have small parts? And while I still disagree about the child abuse - I also find it appalling that they do this surgery on babies!

bg.jpg

you're taking it too literally.

If you read the comments under the video, the mom (I think - not entirely clear) says Chris is doing fine now, and is learning both English and Spanish. They expect (or hope) that he will continue to do so.

It looked to me like the audi (if that's the woman in the background) quickly reached over to do something - either turn it down or give him a toy to distract him or something. I didn't see anyone laughing at the little boy. It would be interesting to know what happened immediately after that, if they turned down the volume or what, and how long it took him to get used to hearing sounds.

The second video clip is so different. Clearly he's a little older and had the mental capacity to know what to expect. Those smiles seem completely natural; he looks happy with what he is hearing.

that's wonderful. just like majority of us.

once we hit teen/adult life... it won't be rosy.

Can you please find me a teenager anywhere, under any circumstances, who thinks his life is "all rosy?"

I like that, transgressing the object. Beautiful.
:ty:

Have you never been around a newborn baby?

I don't mean to be rude or condescending, but it's been my observation that we deaf people are generally lagging behind hearing people when it comes to intelligence - which is no fault of our own, we miss out on so much more compared to hearing people. It makes it that much harder for us to study, get jobs, etc. Why would you want to go through life on an uneven playing field? I don't know of any blind people who would prefer to be blind than have 20/20 vision.
I'm a Mom. I've spend some time (something like 24/7) with a newborn. Are you a parent, too?

The next time I say something rude, I just go ahead and tell everyone that I don't mean to be rude. So excuse me, but if you do have the nerve to call US deaf people stupid and say that you don't mean to be rude, I'm just ignoring that.

The mother does not know what a deaf person needs. They do not know the ramifications of partial hearing loss on their educational and social lives. They do not know that CIs and hearing aids do not solve everything. Parents are not being properly informed by the medical community. All of that has to change. How can a mother do the right thing when she doesn't even know what that is because of partial information? How can a mother know that deafness is a way of life, not a crippling disability when the first time that comes out of professionals' mouths upon "diagnosis" of hearing loss is "I'm sorry, your child failed."

That's ominous and implies that without extreme intervention, a deaf child is doomed. How can a parent not be influenced by this when making their decisions?

And I firmly believe that when a child asks for CIs, they are already having the mindset that they are prepared to do the work to get maximum benefits from their CIs and I have heard very good success stories of kids who got implanted at age 8,9,10,11 and upwards and had managed to keep up with those who were implanted shortly after birth.
Good post!!

Can you please find me a teenager anywhere, under any circumstances, who thinks his life is "all rosy?"

Please.... Go and review all the threads on many people coming in here from 20-40 even 50 year olds testifying about their school years.

:lol: Just saw the part where Bon thinks we lag behind hearing. :rofl:

um.... me? and dozens of others in here?

My cousin 16, usually thinks life is rosey... Except when teachers tell her to turn on her hearing aids. Lol

In retrospect, I think of my teenage years as pretty rosy, but a few years' back I found my diary from those years. (It was in a box of my mom's things which we came across when we cleared out her house.)

I obsessed about so much stuff!! Worrying about an upcoming algebra test, complaining about my older brother, wondering if a boy I liked would ever like me... All normal teenage stuff, but if you had asked me then if my life were perfect, clearly I would have said "No way, look at all my troubles!"

We're talking about deaf teens, not all teens otherwise to follow your example, I could say "well, teenagers in Somalia are not living rosy lives either" and assume that justifiably invalidates all deaf teens' experiences.

In retrospect, I think of my teenage years as pretty rosy, but a few years' back I found my diary from those years. (It was in a box of my mom's things which we came across when we cleared out her house.)

I obsessed about so much stuff!! Worrying about an upcoming algebra test, complaining about my older brother, wondering if a boy I liked would ever like me... All normal teenage stuff, but if you had asked me then if my life were perfect, clearly I would have said "No way, look at all my troubles!"

BG - you're really minimizing the experiences of the deaf child in oral/mainstream settings and you personally didn't even have any experience on what it's like to be in that situation.

You have totally no idea how it is to be a DEAF TEENAGER. Jiro has put himself out as an example, and you're reducing that.

Not sure about Jiro, but I take personal offense by that.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending, but it's been my observation that we deaf people are generally lagging behind hearing people when it comes to intelligence -

Ugh. :roll: Gee, thank you?

You're a teenager??

we were teenagers once, you know?

many of us shared same similarities as this boy in the video. all rosy and wonderful that we can hear our parents' voice and clapping... and then now... yea there you go.

Saw 2nd video too. I dunno what Mother expect from her son CI. If she expects him to understand speech with no lipreading cos I don't think that is working cos boy eyes move at LOT. Left, right, up, down, etc.

Nah, Beach Girl is saying (and I agree with her) is that unhappiness as a teen is indicative of........ being a TEEN. Teen years are difficult hence "it gets better", anti-bullying campaigns and a dozen movie franchises. No one is minimizing the deaf teen experience. Merely stating that deafies don't hold the patent on teen angst.

No one is minimizing the deaf teen experience. Merely stating that deafies don't hold the patent on teen angst.

who said they did? but there's a huge difference between angst because you wonder if a boy likes you and angst because you can't hear the teachers, your peers, your family. Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back