Cheetah introduces himself

WOW! I was just really impressed with the swift water team. Sounds like what you do is the same thing or nearly the same thing. Do you have to get certification in other areas as well? For example, we are required to take a class on evidence preservation and court room procedures. This is an all day class, I paid for an interpreter for this class. My next certification will be the Amateur Radio Technician. This is all written so no terp!

Nope. This is purely just for scuba diving. So other certifications that I've attained have to do with scuba diving only, not for emergency procedures in other settings. Although for the Emergency First Responder class, we did touch a little bit on awareness of the situation and obtaining information from the victim as well as providing information for the paramedics/police officers/etc. I'm sure the swift water team has done a LOT more than I did, dealing with a lot more different cases/scenarios. Obviously, rescue divers don't deal with rivers much, since people normally don't dive in those.

Looks like dogmom is more likely to help you out than me! :)

:ty: but naaw... I think we both can offer:)
I don't know from SCUBA or water rescue -

:wave: my hubby helped me, he comes from an engineering background.
the book I used was one of West's study guides <WB6NOA> - Technician Class Element 2 License Prep. That worked for me, though I did have to take the test 3 times. I don't have any technical background.
they also do have small group classes at HAM shacks sometimes.

in case you're interested this is a thread I happened to find discussing deaf operators- Ham Radio for the deaf?.

this HAM club in FL: Lake Monroe Amateur Radio Society is referenced in a different <not related to the link above> HAM article about offering classes for deaf wanting to be operators.
Now the actual article is old but the link to the club I gave you is current and if interested you could contact the club and see if they can give your further assistance in any way.

:)

My mother and father were HAM radio operators. Don't remember mother's call sign, but Dad was KB4UYL. I only remember that because of the line we used to say to keep it in mind: Karl, Be 4 U Yell, Look.

I could never take and pass the testing at the time due to the hearing loss. I was always big on the CB radio. Been too many years now.

:wave: Kristina,

my husband got into CB in college when he was driving back and forth each weekend to see me. Sometimes I'd talk on it too. The atmospheres of CB and HAM are certainly different :lol:He graduated a few years ahead of me and got a job in another part of state and I was still in school. I didn't know how to drive then. So every weekend he would come get me on Friday and we'd make the 2 hour or so trip from the university to where he then lived. He used CB to pass time on the way to get me and after dropping me off after the weekend was over; also for any directions or if there were road conditions etc. Then he got his HAM license; his childhood friend's dad had been a HAM operator.

I think it's cool that your mom was a HAM, especially maybe so at a time when there were even less females then there are now.

Seems like from what that link to that club implies there are ways for some deaf people to take the test, if desired. I supposed it would depend on a number of things and certainly having the prep. resources available.

There is at least one local operator here who is blind.

Hubby and I also took the Skywarn training with a local club and that was very interesting, but it was a few years ago.:lol:

Thank you deafbajagal,

and thank you again!:laugh2:

Back