Cheetah introduces himself

Welcome, Cheetah! I must say that I have been impressed with what I have seen from you so far!:wave:

Did you stop by and get the wine? :)

:) I did, but I'm going to wait until this Saturday to drink it. Turns out I have a "surprise" birthday party on saturday but because I always bring the best wines.... I think the best part of a good wine is sharing it. I wish I could share a bottle with everyone here!

Heck! Everyone go home and have a good glass of your favorite... on me! :)

Welcome, Cheetah! I must say that I have been impressed with what I have seen from you so far!:wave:

Jillio, Thank you. Funny, I never planned to join this forum. After reading a few posts that seem to be struggling with some ideas and concepts, I felt I might be able to contribute. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into.

It's been some time since I've been involved in the Deaf community. Since my marriage went belly up, I've been looking for a new place to belong.

I want to think everyone for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

Wirelessly posted

smithtr said:
:wave: welcome to see you enjoy :D

Thank u! Life is never boreing when u have made a new friend!

Welcome Cheetah!! We are a very diverse and friendly bunch!! :lol:

Which one? You a Clarkie? Or one of the ones that closed?

It was in Ohio at the Alexander Graham Bell School. I'm not sure what kind of school it is now, but at the time they were oral (at least the part I went to - but I was a young kid, what did I know!) :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Down with AGBell methods!!!! Oral only, ugh! :ugh:

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Down with AGBell methods!!!! Oral only, ugh! :ugh:

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thanks Bebonang! I have racked up a few replies and one thread so far. And don't worry, I only use the oral method with the hearies! :giggle:

If there are any other deaf SAR or first responders on AD, I would love to hear from you. PM me or respond here. I want to know what you do and how you make it work with your hearing colleagues.

If there are any other deaf SAR or first responders on AD, I would love to hear from you. PM me or respond here. I want to know what you do and how you make it work with your hearing colleagues.

Are you talking about Emergency First Responders? I had to get certified for Emergency First Response for my Rescue Diving certification from PADI.

However, since I don't actually use it in practice (since I haven't had any emergencies yet *knock on wood*), so I don't know if I can help you.

Did you have any specific questions?

Primarily I am interested in First Responders. I imagine being under the water, there are no communications barriers? I took a swift water rescue class. Obviously I could not wear my CI for the class so there was a lot of body language. They guys teaching the class were great and really took the time and effort to make sure I was included. I ended the day shivering from head to toe! We used the basic pat on the head to ask if someone was ok, and either a thumbs up or a pat on the head to reply that we are ok. All instructions was received by speech reading with a number of repeats by the instructor to me and a few extra minutes by the instructor to make sure I understood the safety instructions. I was psyched! However, I now have a huge respect for what these guys do and how they really risk their lives.

For the rescue diver training, we had to deal with BOTH above water and underwater scenarios. Underwater was easy (in terms of communication, not the actual activity!). Above water, we always talked about it before going into the water and established hand signals. We've made some stuff up on the spot because scuba diving hand signals alone don't convey much (OK sign was the only useful one above the water).

As for doing the actual rescuing (or at least pretending to rescue), I only saw one possible barrier for rescuing due to deafness. While towing a victim in water, I had to "listen" for a heartbeat to see if I need to do CPR. Obviously, this was impossible, but after discussing it with the instructor, I found out several things: 1) It's hard to listen for a heartbeat in real life due to waves crashing, boat motors, etc. 2) Full CPR cannot even be administered during towing anyway. All you can do is give the victim breaths, which you can still do even if he has a heartbeat (assuming he is unresponsive). Once you put the victim on land/boat, you can check for a heartbeat then, which only takes a few seconds.

Otherwise, I don't see any other communication/deaf barriers in terms of "rescuing" the victim. Most of the time, you don't even need to listen really. It does help to talk (and/or give obvious hand signals) to the victim to calm him down or inform him about what you are going to do.

WOW! I was just really impressed with the swift water team. Sounds like what you do is the same thing or nearly the same thing. Do you have to get certification in other areas as well? For example, we are required to take a class on evidence preservation and court room procedures. This is an all day class, I paid for an interpreter for this class. My next certification will be the Amateur Radio Technician. This is all written so no terp!

:wave: again, Cheetah, I posted a message for you in general chat but since you're here, and I just saw your posts including the one where you talk about getting your HAM license

I'm a Tech. class HAM operator <very difficult for me to attain because I have learning disability> and have taken some SAR and Red Cross disaster intro classes. Hubby is General class.
Just wanted to give you a "hey" and good luck with your test and everything!
:D

:wave: again, Cheetah, I posted a message for you in general chat but since you're here, and I just saw your posts including the one where you talk about getting your HAM license

I'm a Tech. class HAM operator <very difficult for me to attain because I have learning disability> and have taken some SAR and Red Cross disaster intro classes. Hubby is General class.
Just wanted to give you a "hey" and good luck with your test and everything!
:D

Thanks Dogmom! I am new to this forum so I keep losing track of messages and threads. I feel a little like things are happening all over the place. Quick question, what is the best way to study for this test?

:wave: my hubby helped me, he comes from an engineering background.
the book I used was one of West's study guides <WB6NOA> - Technician Class Element 2 License Prep. That worked for me, though I did have to take the test 3 times. I don't have any technical background.
they also do have small group classes at HAM shacks sometimes.

in case you're interested this is a thread I happened to find discussing deaf operators- Ham Radio for the deaf?.

this HAM club in FL: Lake Monroe Amateur Radio Society is referenced in a different <not related to the link above> HAM article about offering classes for deaf wanting to be operators.
Now the actual article is old but the link to the club I gave you is current and if interested you could contact the club and see if they can give your further assistance in any way.

:)

Back