Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would it hurt her? I would hope that I have raised my child in a way that one article would not ruin her life. That her value would not be tied up in what others say about her.

I would be upset and embarrassed if my parents friend wrote an article like that. I would ask why i was not good enough as i was back when it was written.

Even if it hurts deaf people and other children with this false info?

Not too long ago, u were hurt by what some deaf people said about u being a bad parent for implanting your child and expressed your anger here on AD..now, this? U can't have your cake and eat it too.

If it is what will help my child, screw other people. Honestly, I am going to make sure my child gets what they need first, and then worry about changing the world. Sorry!

How would it hurt her? I would hope that I have raised my child in a way that one article would not ruin her life. That her value would not be tied up in what others say about her.

Unfortuantely, a child's self image and self esteem is directly tied to what others say about them, especially their parents. And more so than what is said, it is what is communicated through action. Treat your child as someone to be pitied, take the action that places her in front of the public in this way, and you have had a negative effect on her self image that will take years to rectify.

If it is what will help my child, screw other people. Honestly, I am going to make sure my child gets what they need first, and then worry about changing the world. Sorry!

Okay, screw other people. What about the message you are giving your child? An implant won't do a danged thing to rectify that.

Unfortuantely, a child's self image and self esteem is directly tied to what others say about them, especially their parents. And more so than what is said, it is what is communicated through action. Treat your child as someone to be pitied, take the action that places her in front of the public in this way, and you have had a negative effect on her self image that will take years to rectify.

Exactly!parents saying things has A DIRECT EFFECT on the lives of children. I did not come to be a fully functional blind adult by my mom saying "ohh you cant do that because you are blind."

If you show children to pity themselves *what this article is doing* then they will.

some of you may disagree with me, but i think the bolded statement is a form of emotional abuse.

I understand what you're saying, however this is a bit of a narrow minded approach with the goal "MUST HAVE 2nd IMPLANT!" not even thinking twice about that path you're taking.

You're saying that you would move a mountain and dropping it on 100,000 deaf people. :)

I wouldn't have chosen to write the article in this way, but that's just me.

I also don't think that having the second CI is a life or death struggle, but if my insurance was giving me the run around, I would be cheesed off and want ANY way that might lead to help.

I also don't think anyone having implants is ruining the life of someone who doesn't.

Whoaaaaa. That is one dedicated mother... almost TOO dedicated.....

Be careful.. It can be your downfall!

Exactly!parents saying things has A DIRECT EFFECT on the lives of children. I did not come to be a fully functional blind adult by my mom saying "ohh you cant do that because you are blind."

If you show children to pity themselves *what this article is doing* then they will.

And that will most certainly affect their future functioning in a more direct way that an implant will.

yes, there is. it's called writing a special interest article that contains *accurate* information minus the negative stereotypes.

Hear Again - This is not an article that any member of the general public will be loosing sleep over. People retrive from print what they want.

From your perspective there are inaacuracies. If you feel strongly about it then why not contact the paper/journalist to provide your perspective?

I wouldn't have chosen to write the article in this way, but that's just me.

I also don't think that having the second CI is a life or death struggle, but if my insurance was giving me the run around, I would be cheesed off and want ANY way that might lead to help.

I also don't think anyone having implants is ruining the life of someone who doesn't.

Forgive me but then where is your respect for your daughters emotional health and self acceptance?

And that is why I don't!

Hear Again - This is not an article that any member of the general public will be loosing sleep over. People retrive from print what they want.

From your perspective there are inaacuracies. If you feel strongly about it then why not contact the paper/journalist to provide your perspective?

Again, it wasn't written by a journalist. And HearAgain doesn't just feel their are innaccurracies. There are innacurracies. Scientific, cultural, and linguistic innacurracies.

Telling your child she is inferior and worth pity because of her deafness is a huge blow to her self-esteem. Not to mention you would be hurting a lot of other people by giving them the wrong ideas about deafness. As for her value not being tied up in what others say about her, then please explain why bullying in school leads to self-esteem and confidence issues. Most kids care what others think, especially their own parents. And if their parents are telling them "poor you, you deaf girl," most kids are going to start believing that. It takes us a while to build up the defenses that help us decide whether what we hear and read is true or not, and many children haven't had a chance to build up those defenses yet.

Sorry I don't know why it says typeingtornado19 said that. I quoted faire_jour in my last post.

And that is why I don't!

If you are willing to do as you have said you would do, then that is the message your child is getting. Mom will do anything to fix me, because I am not good enough as I am. And that is exactly the message this article portrays.

that's easy for you to suggest. if i wrote a letter to the editor about EVERY article that had stereotypical or inaccurate information, i'd be a full-time writer.

i used to write letters to the editor in the past, but have given up because it's a futile effort.

how do you know people won't be losing any sleep over this article? you don't know how readers will react and whether or not they will choose to donate money so that this child can receive a second implant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back