Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Kids can't socialize without speech?

No one is saying she can't have 2. If her parents want her to have two, then go for it. This is their fight, not the fight of the public.
And, as a parent, I would certainly be concerned about my child being portrayed to the public as a "poor little deaf child." What kind of message does that give to the child? "You poor little handicapped

Yes, Dthing, you. You just aren't as capablaredeve as everyone else."

That'ils the message I got growing up and believed that I wasn't as capable as my friends, no thanks to the audists who brain-washed my family.....this article is just another example and I don't need people looking seeing me as this poor deaf person who isn't capable as anyone else without CIs....that's why I am so turned off by this article.

Yes, Daredevel...arctles like these may put more pressure on u as a CI user to make your CI work to their expectations and if it doesn't, they may think that u didn't try hard enough.

The last thing, after decades of hard work deaf people in history have put in to educate the general public that deaf people aren't retarded, to be pitied, or non functional, is an article full of innacurate information like this.

Then perhaps you are not as concerned about the messages such tactics relay to the child as you should be.

I would lie, cheat and steal to get what my child needs. Sometimes parents have to face big decisions when it comes to parenting, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get her what she needs. I will move a mountain if it means that Miss Kat will be a self sufficent, strong, successful adult.

HearAgain - Ultimately, there is no control of how the general public will interpret/feel about anything.

Then give them accurrate information and let them feel as they will feel. Do not attempt to generate pity.

I would lie, cheat and steal to get what my child needs. Sometimes parents have to face big decisions when it comes to parenting, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get her what she needs. I will move a mountain if it means that Miss Kat will be a self sufficent, strong, successful adult.

What she needs, or what you want her to have because you can't imagine that she could be fully fuinctional without doing it the same way you do?

And if you parade her around in front of the public as someone to be pitied, she is going to need much more than an implant to overcome the negative effects.

Wow.

So you would write an article like that to get your child pitty, and the things she needs, thusly hurting her self esteem, and self appearance?

HearAgain - Ultimately, there is no control of how the general public will interpret/feel about anything.

yes, there is. it's called writing a special interest article that contains *accurate* information minus the negative stereotypes.

Even if it hurts deaf people and other children with this false info?

Not too long ago, u were hurt by what some deaf people said about u being a bad parent for implanting your child and expressed your anger here on AD..now, this? U can't have your cake and eat it too.

:shock:

So you would write an article like that to get your child pitty, and the things she needs, thusly hurting her self esteem, and self appearance?

How would it hurt her? I would hope that I have raised my child in a way that one article would not ruin her life. That her value would not be tied up in what others say about her.

I understand what you're saying, however this is a bit of a narrow minded approach with the goal "MUST HAVE 2nd IMPLANT!" not even thinking twice about that path you're taking.

You're saying that you would move a mountain and dropping it on 100,000 deaf people. :)

Where in the article does it state to "pity" deafness.

the pity is implied by the fact that this child cannot "become a fully functional adult" without a second ci -- not to mention everything else that was written in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back