Challenges

Well, don't think that my answer goes for everyone who is in the CART industry, but I knew somebody who was going to be a court reporter, and I heard it was very challenging. I was intrigued and found out that there was captioning as an option at my school. I decided to major in captioning because I liked the thought of working out of my home. Then I found out about two months ago that CART is very interesting also, and that I can actually see who I'm giving the benefit of my work to. I really want to provide a service to people and let them have as many opportunities to experience whatever their heart desires. Example: Go to a baseball game. I want to do your captions while you're at that game so they can have the full effect. I also know my major is in high demand, and I feel like it's a major that should have more focus on. It was just in interest that got my attention, and I want to help.

Would you mind telling me about those setbacks if they deal with your son being deaf and what your steps were to getting your child on the right track when you found out he was deaf?

Well, don't think that my answer goes for everyone who is in the CART industry, but I knew somebody who was going to be a court reporter, and I heard it was very challenging. I was intrigued and found out that there was captioning as an option at my school. I decided to major in captioning because I liked the thought of working out of my home. Then I found out about two months ago that CART is very interesting also, and that I can actually see who I'm giving the benefit of my work to. I really want to provide a service to people and let them have as many opportunities to experience whatever their heart desires. Example: Go to a baseball game. I want to do your captions while you're at that game so they can have the full effect. I also know my major is in high demand, and I feel like it's a major that should have more focus on. It was just in interest that got my attention, and I want to help.

In other words, you main puposes involve the ways in which this would be a benefit to you, not to others.

CART providers rarely have direct contact with the recipients of their services.

Would you mind telling me about those setbacks if they deal with your son being deaf and what your steps were to getting your child on the right track when you found out he was deaf?

I didn't need to get my son on the right track when I found out he was deaf. He was already on the right track. We simply continued.

The obstacles, (not setbacks, because I nor my son have ever allowed them to deter us), have mostly been related to the ignorance of the hearing people that attempt to serve deaf needs from their own paternalistic hearing perspective.

I'm sorry ma'am, but you're seeming a little stereotypical. When I said "I really want to provide a service to people and let them have as many opportunities to experience whatever their heart desires. Example: Go to a baseball game. I want to do your captions while you're at that game so they can have the full effect." How would you get that impression? I'm honestly doing it for others. Whether you want to accept that fact or not, there are good CART providers out there. I don't know about your personal experiences with them to be putting me in this position right now, but I'm sorry you have such a negative prospective on my goals for the future.

I'm sorry ma'am, but you're seeming a little stereotypical. When I said "I really want to provide a service to people and let them have as many opportunities to experience whatever their heart desires. Example: Go to a baseball game. I want to do your captions while you're at that game so they can have the full effect." How would you get that impression? I'm honestly doing it for others. Whether you want to accept that fact or not, there are good CART providers out there. I don't know about your personal experiences with them to be putting me in this position right now, but I'm sorry you have such a negative prospective on my goals for the future.

No, sweetie, I'm far from stereotypical, but you most certainly are.

I don't have a negative perspective of your future goals. I have a negative perspective of the fact that you don't even realize how insensitive some of your questions are. You will definately need to work on that before you attempt to serve the deaf community.

No, sweetie, I'm far from stereotypical, but you most certainly are.

I don't have a negative perspective of your future goals. I have a negative perspective of the fact that you don't even realize how insensitive some of your questions are. You will definately need to work on that before you attempt to serve the deaf community.

She is SO nice enough to give you some good feedback on how your questions are, and work on your own questions and how to approach to the deafies people.

good luck on your assisgment. :aw:

Jillio, I would like for you to quit being so rude to me. People are telling me that I need to learn more, hey that's obvious. I haven't been living in your world for any length of time. Shouldn't you at least be able to accept the fact that I want to learn more about it? How do you learn? Asking questions usually, right? Seriously, get off my back.

Okay, I'm sorry. Although, you have no right to have started attacking me at the beginning of all of this. I ask one question and everything is blown out of proportion. I just want to learn about this. I know it's hard for me to come out asking these questions in the beginning of relationships, but I just thought you'd be willing to share. Obviously not. Start over? or have I ruined it?

Jillio, I would like for you to quit being so rude to me. People are telling me that I need to learn more, hey that's obvious. I haven't been living in your world for any length of time. Shouldn't you at least be able to accept the fact that I want to learn more about it? How do you learn? Asking questions usually, right? Seriously, get off my back.

See, here's the problem. I am not being rude to you. You, however, have been rude to the deaf community. And no, you haven't been living in that world for any length of time. In fact, you haven't even visited it. I'm trying to tell you that you have gotten off on the wrong foot. But since you seem to be intent on continuing in the same way, I might remind you that you aren't getting responses from the deaf people on this forum for a reason. You try to figure it out.

I thought you were in a program to work with deaf, but now assume not as ASL would probably be something you know about.

I just didn't know the abbreviation. I'm right now studying at AIB to either caption or do CART work. I just learned the alphabet in sign language... I don't know much, but I'm learning and I think that's better than nothing.

I just didn't know the abbreviation. I'm right now studying at AIB to either caption or do CART work. I just learned the alphabet in sign language... I don't know much, but I'm learning and I think that's better than nothing.

I see that. What is the course you are in right now that is on deaf studies?

I have two hearing adult children by the way, and it never bothered me. :)

See, here's the problem. I am not being rude to you. You, however, have been rude to the deaf community. And no, you haven't been living in that world for any length of time. In fact, you haven't even visited it. I'm trying to tell you that you have gotten off on the wrong foot. But since you seem to be intent on continuing in the same way, I might remind you that you aren't getting responses from the deaf people on this forum for a reason. You try to figure it out.

Can I get your first name, please? I honestly looked through my messages, and I should have been more careful with the way I said things. I don't know how else to ask questions, and without some kind of help, I'm not going to figure it out. There's probably many CART providers that get on here and fail just as I do. They probably often never come back. idk But I think that giving up is just ridiculous, so I'm going to be persistent and try to get to know whoever wants to talk to me after this. Or maybe I could settle with doing this as my presentation to class and how not to fail, as I did.

Can I get your first name, please? I honestly looked through my messages, and I should have been more careful with the way I said things. I don't know how else to ask questions, and without some kind of help, I'm not going to figure it out. There's probably many CART providers that get on here and fail just as I do. They probably often never come back. idk But I think that giving up is just ridiculous, so I'm going to be persistent and try to get to know whoever wants to talk to me after this. Or maybe I could settle with doing this as my presentation to class and how not to fail, as I did.

:laugh2: That's the spirit fellow Iowan!! Jillio's name is Jillio. If you want I will answer all your questions.

Back