cell phones for text messaging?

jasin

Reaction score
Verizon gave me this Motorola e3815, but its worthless for text messaging!!! I know t-moble has a very good text messaging phone called the sidekick, but i'm not with t-moble and their service is lousy here.

I sympathize with you. I have a Motorola T720 which is also lousy for text messaging. :( I'm stuck with Suncom which has very few options.

I hope you find a solution.

Verizon has the enV, which looks good for texting. It has a qwerty keypad.

Almost all cell phones have text messaging services, but they also usually charge a lot for them as well. It's usually one message equals one minute. Ugh!

I have a Sidekick II with unlimited text messaging. :)

Almost all cell phones have text messaging services, but they also usually charge a lot for them as well. It's usually one message equals one minute. Ugh!

I have a Sidekick II with unlimited text messaging. :)

True but not all cell phones have a full screen, qwerty keyboard that actually functions like a keyboard, etc.. like the sidekick and lg envy do.

oh, and yes I agree, the sidekick is great, but t-moble's service here is really, really bad.

And as far as unlimited text messaging goes, all carriers have that its just with some carriers you need to pay extra for it or have a plan that includes it.

I sympathize with you. I have a Motorola T720 which is also lousy for text messaging. :( I'm stuck with Suncom which has very few options.

I hope you find a solution.

There is a solution, you buy a new phone. On verizon though I hear they just refuse to transfer over your existing contract and number to the new phone if you are not eligible for an upgrade.

With cingular and t-moble you just go out and buy any unlocked gsm phone and switch over the sim card, thats it.

True but not all cell phones have a full screen, qwerty keyboard that actually functions like a keyboard, etc.. like the sidekick and lg envy do.

oh, and yes I agree, the sidekick is great, but t-moble's service here is really, really bad.

And as far as unlimited text messaging goes, all carriers have that its just with some carriers you need to pay extra for it or have a plan that includes it.
Other companies also provide QWERTY mobile devices too. A friend of mine got a QWERTY mobile device from Verizon.

Other companies also provide QWERTY mobile devices too. A friend of mine got a QWERTY mobile device from Verizon.

Yes, its called the eNV, but its way overpriced. Also, like I said, transfering over your contract and number to a new phone on verizon if you are not eligible for an upgrade is not easy I hear.

Yes, its called the eNV, but its way overpriced. Also, like I said, transfering over your contract and number to a new phone on verizon if you are not eligible for an upgrade is not easy I hear.
Yeah, a lot of phone companies are ripping us off. That's why I'm not looking forward to upgrading my Sidekick II. I thought the Sidekick was too big, but the Sidekick II was a big improvement. I got it free with a 1-year contract. Now, they have 2-year contracts along with $300 for a new Sidekick 3. :(

Yeah, a lot of phone companies are ripping us off. That's why I'm not looking forward to upgrading my Sidekick II. I thought the Sidekick was too big, but the Sidekick II was a big improvement. I got it free with a 1-year contract. Now, they have 2-year contracts along with $300 for a new Sidekick 3. :(

Their actually called hiptops. A company called Danger Inc. manufactures them with T-Mobile.

If there to clunky or to BIG for some then you could try the hiptop id, which is the sidekick III ID, supposedly a slimed down skinnier version of the sidekick III.

I myself would just switch over to t-mobile and go with the sidekick if their service wasn't so bad here where I live. Its sad but T-mobile just does not have good service here. I guess I may have to shell out the cash for the eNvy because the only other carrier here thats any good as far as reception is concerned is cingular and they dont have much in the way of phones.

Last edited:
I have a cellphone that is good for text messaging and sending/receiving pictures. It's the norm here in Norway to have a text messaging capable cellphone, and am surprised this is not apparent in USA.

There is a family plan with my provider that covers unlimited SMS between listed family members at a flat rate.

My model is Sony Ericsson T630. I hope to get a new one capable of G3, which means having the ability to videoconference live with others who have the same in their cellphones. I want a Sony Ericsson P990i!

I am the same way. I am not sure what I'll do after my Sk2 died or whatever. I don't like Sk3 for some reason. If I cannot find what I really wanted, then I may have no choice to go with Sk3 for a while. Oh well!

I have a cellphone that is good for text messaging and sending/receiving pictures. It's the norm here in Norway to have a text messaging capable cellphone, and am surprised this is not apparent in USA....
I can send and receive text msg on my cell phone; it's just a pain in the neck because it doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard. It's a very slow process to type out a msg with the tiny alpha/numeric buttons, one letter at a time.

Yeah, you can send sms from just about any cell phone that exists its just not an efficient process if you don't have a qwerty keyboard. I actually spent 20 minutes once trying to type up a two line sms text message once.

On my computer I use a program called chikka, its very popular in the Philippines, I can send an sms from it to any cell phone that listed in the program. Granted I have to manualy put in those numbers but its worth it, only takes a few minutes to put in 1 number and once the number is there is stays in the program. Its a great alternative for those who are deaf and spend a lot of time at home or on a computer.

Their actually called hiptops. A company called Danger Inc. manufactures them with T-Mobile.

If there to clunky or to BIG for some then you could try the hiptop id, which is the sidekick III ID, supposedly a slimed down skinnier version of the sidekick III.

I myself would just switch over to t-mobile and go with the sidekick if their service wasn't so bad here where I live. Its sad but T-mobile just does not have good service here. I guess I may have to shell out the cash for the eNvy because the only other carrier here thats any good as far as reception is concerned is cingular and they dont have much in the way of phones.
Yeah, but I still want the camera. :(

Cingular has the unlimited text messenging plan for only $5 a month. It's not a big hit on your bank account.

Cingular has the unlimited text messenging plan for only $5 a month. It's not a big hit on your bank account.

I am a big fan of cingular because their gsm, so you can upgrade your phone without any hassles; plus, the price is right for unlimited text messaging. However, they just don't got anything like verizon or t-mobile has for qwerty keyboard phones, T-mobile has the sidekick and verizon has the V, eNVY, and u740.

Hey, just an idea but maybe we can open up a separate thread with all the latest qwerty keyboard phones, prices for each, and price plans for each carrier for unlimited text messaging?

This is an important topic for the deaf and hard of hearing, its how we communicate when we are not using other forms of communication, like sign language.

Hey, just an idea but maybe we can open up a separate thread with all the latest qwerty keyboard phones, prices for each, and price plans for each carrier for unlimited text messaging?

This is an important topic for the deaf and hard of hearing, its how we communicate when we are not using other forms of communication, like sign language.
There is already this thread:

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/40090-what-qwerty-phone-do-you-recommend.html

Back