Carved Shell Silicone Ear Molds..better for severe to profound.

Im not sure why but everytime i get tight fitting molds my ears end up being rubbed raw in some place until the have lots shaved off to the point i dont seem to get a good seal anymore

Maybe try a different soft material? I know Starkey do quite a few different soft materials. I find biopor (think that's the name) rubs my ears raw.

It may also be down to the shore (shor) rating as well. The higher it is, the more it grips the ear but all the ratings are suitable for severe to profound.

Maybe try a different soft material? I know Starkey do quite a few different soft materials. I find biopor (think that's the name) rubs my ears raw.

It may also be down to the shore (shor) rating as well. The higher it is, the more it grips the ear but all the ratings are suitable for severe to profound.
Im not sure exactly what material i have but i asked for the softest stuff available and i always get extra material taken off the top as well as the side. I have almost given up getting a tight set of earmolds, I do still have one set that fit nice and tight but they are made for a specific purpose so i never wear them for more then 12hrs at a time :(.

Attachments

• 20130429_204525.jpg
    20130429_204525.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 21
Im not sure exactly what material i have but i asked for the softest stuff available and i always get extra material taken off the top as well as the side. I have almost given up getting a tight set of earmolds, I do still have one set that fit nice and tight but they are made for a specific purpose so i never wear them for more then 12hrs at a time :(.

Glad you are getting use out of the audio shoes :)

Shore Rating Guide
Silicones offer superior acoustic sealing properties and are suitable for severe to profound losses, as well as cases where there is an allergy problem.

Choosing the shore ratings

The degree of flexibility of a material is rated as Shore A. The higher the shore rating of a material, the more rigid it is and conversely, the lower the shore rating, the more flexible it is.

Shore A rating: 25, 30, 40, 70
Description: Extremely Soft, Very Soft, Quite Soft, Soft

A higher degree of dexterity is required to manipulate a very flexible earmould into the ear. Hearing-aid wearers with dexterity problems who require soft moulds are best fitted with high shore rated materials for ease of use.

Might be worth asking for a different shore rating. My ears don't seem to like the 25 shore rating, but my ears can with stand the 30 rating.

The shore rating is only available for the soft earmolds and are all suitable for severe to profound :)

I asked about the tight molds for my hearing loss but the audi said since I still have close to normal low tone hearing that they didn't want to block that off so I'm getting the harder ones. It has a wrap thing that goes under that little shelf thing in my ear. Not sure how I will like that but she said they can remove it if I don't like it. I get them next week--very excited.

I asked about the tight molds for my hearing loss but the audi said since I still have close to normal low tone hearing that they didn't want to block that off so I'm getting the harder ones. It has a wrap thing that goes under that little shelf thing in my ear. Not sure how I will like that but she said they can remove it if I don't like it. I get them next week--very excited.

Be curious to see a picture. Never heard of that type of earmold :)

you mean the cord with the dome? that's what I'm thinking what it is lol

Be curious to see a picture. Never heard of that type of earmold :)

I tried to find a google photo and could not. She said it would help keep my earmold in better without it being too tight, it's kind of like a ear shaped donut :D. It's not the tube that runs over your ear.

I tried to find a google photo and could not. She said it would help keep my earmold in better without it being too tight, it's kind of like a ear shaped donut :D. It's not the tube that runs over your ear.

You mean skeleton mold?

ear.jpg

Found this on google--hope it's ok to post--it's similar to this

I know this topic is a little old.

Yet, I have skeleton ear molds. When I first got them, they were very weird and uncomfortable at first. But after some time I got used to them, they became comfortable. I actually enjoy them. They are very light and you don't even noticed them on.

I find my old solid ear molds caused me too much moisture in my ears. With these skeleton. I don't sweat as much inside my ears anymore.

Front View
Tl0c3YC.jpg

Rear View
Ga8onET.jpg

The only issue I have with my ear molds is the fact the silicone is very soft. my main ear actually broke as seen below.

gN6578Z.jpg

I am going to my Audiologist tomorrow for a Hearing / Hearing Aid checkup. It's that time of year again. Going to see if I can get another set of molds. Maybe pick a color this time around. haha

In case you are wondering, I do have a Severe to Profound Hearing Lost.

Ear molds will be replace without any issues.

My audiologist has been trying for 2 years to get new hearing aids for me. My insurance refuse to pay for them. The HAs are 7 years old.

Last edited:
Ear molds will be replace without any issues.

My audiologist has been trying for 2 years to get new hearing aids for me. My insurance refuse to pay for them. The HAs are 7 years old.

Your hearing aids are analog ain't they? My friend has these and dreads when they finally die and she will have to get digitals. They look identical and my friends are Phonaks.

No, the Images are my very first digitals. Phonak PowerMAXX 411. The ones I had before these were Analogs.

I've had problems with these PowerMAXX the last few years. Seems something is breaking inside the aids every 6 or so months.

Last time I had them fixed was back in Sept 2012. The Ear hook on the right hearing aid snapped from the case. And the gold connector broke from the HA motherboard.

With the money that was used to fixed these hearing aids in the last 2 years. They could have brought 2 new ones. But I don't get a say. (I have medicaid/medicare)

My old analogs, lasted years for me. I think I had them for 15 years. I still have them somewhere, if I do find them. I'll post a screenshot. I couldn't believe the size difference between the 2. haha

No, the Images are my very first digitals. Phonak PowerMAXX 411. The ones I had before these were Analogs.

I've had problems with these PowerMAXX the last few years. Seems something is breaking inside the aids every 6 or so months.

Last time I had them fixed was back in Sept 2012. The Ear hook on the right hearing aid snapped from the case. And the gold connector broke from the HA motherboard.

With the money that was used to fixed these hearing aids in the last 2 years. They could have brought 2 new ones. But I don't get a say. (I have medicaid/medicare)

My old analogs, lasted years for me. I think I had them for 15 years. I still have them somewhere, if I do find them. I'll post a screenshot. I couldn't believe the size difference between the 2. haha

Oh that's cool. They look like miniatures of my analog Phonak Superfront aids.

Shame you can't get an upgrade of hearing aids, technology has come a long way.

Back