Canker sores

Eating foods that contains a lot of acid can cause them...

Also certain medication can cause them to be more frequent. Best to ask your doctor Oceanbreeze, if they are bothersome to you.

Eating foods that contains a lot of acid can cause them...

Also certain medication can cause them to be more frequent. Best to ask your doctor Oceanbreeze, if they are bothersome to you.

Thanks, but I just treat them as I needed. The sore I have now is about gone. You're right about the acidic foods causing them, though. I used to overeat cherry tomatoes as a kid and that was always met with sores in my mouth. It was never any fun. I wonder what meds can cause them? I'm on a litany of medications, so that is worth asking the doctor about.

I think the cause of the sores I get now are simply stress. Nothing much I can really do except treat them as needed.

Last edited:
<-------- chronic sufferer with canker sore, in fact im having one right now. I used to use Kanka its brown liquid that taste like peppermint it numb the sore very well but if your tongue or other part of mouth touch the site it get numb too lol it also coat the sore with white film. Im also using Biotene Toothpaste and mouthwash pricy but it cut my canker sore occurence down about 75% I used to have 2 or 3 canker sores at once every single day because one will heal but other 2 havent healed then when other healed new one came in so it was constant thing lol but now its like once a week or 2.

Source: Canker sores Information on Healthline

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Canker sores are a common form of mouth ulcer. They occur in women more often than men. They may occur at any age, but usually first appear between the ages of 10 and 40.

Canker sores usually appear on the inner surface of the cheeks and lips, tongue, soft palate, and the base of the gums.

Canker sores can run in families. They may also be linked to problems with the body's immune (defense) system. The sores may occur after a mouth injury due to dental work, aggressive tooth cleaning, or biting the tongue or cheek.

Canker sores can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, folic acid, or vitamin B-12), menstrual periods, hormonal changes, food allergies, and similar situations. They occur most commonly with viral infections. In some cases, the cause can not be identified.

Treatment

Treatment is usually not necessary. In most cases, the canker sores go away by themselves.

If you have a canker sore, you should not eat hot or spicy foods, which can cause pain. Mild, over-the-counter mouth washes or salt water may help. There are over-the-counter medicines that soothe the painful area. These medicines are applied directly to the sore area of the mouth.

The easiest home remedy is a mixture of half hydrogen peroxide and half water. Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture directly to the canker sore. Then, dab a small amount of Milk of Magnesia on the canker sore, three to four times a day. This is soothing and may also help it heal.

Another home remedy is to mix half Milk of Magnesia and half Benadryl liquid allergy medicine. Swish this mixture in your mouth for about 1 minutes, then spit it out.

Other treatments for more severe cases include applying fluocinonide gel (Lidex) or chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash. Powerful anti-inflammatory medicines called corticosteroids are sometimes used.

To prevent bacterial infection, brush and floss your teeth regularly and visit the dentist for routine care.

Yes, That is true. That was how I got ulcerative colitis once time last year ago in Jan 2008.

Back