Canker sores

Oceanbreeze

Reaction score
I've been plagued by canker sores since I was a child. For those that don't know what they are, they are open sores that occur inside the mouth. Unlike cold sores that occur on the outside of the mouth, canker sores aren't contagious, but they sure are painful!

I was curious if anyone has had them and what do you do for them. I apply an over-the-counter remedy called campho-phenique. This is an anesthetic that helps numb the sore and help it heal.

What are your experiences with the painful sores?

Here's a link for those who don't know the differences between canker sores and cold sores. :)

ADA.org: Oral Health Topics: Common Mouth Sores

OK, your turn... Discuss. :)

Canker sores are much worse than cold sores! I actually can't remember the last time I had a canker.

Canker sores are much worse than cold sores! I actually can't remember the last time I had a canker.

I don't think I've ever had a cold sore, but I've had many canker sores. I used to get them due to eating too many cherry tomatoes as a kid. Stress seems to cause them now. I'm dealing with one now. :(

I don't think I've ever had a cold sore, but I've had many canker sores. I used to get them due to eating too many cherry tomatoes as a kid. Stress seems to cause them now. I'm dealing with one now. :(

Ouch! Sorry to hear that! The best way to deal with a canker sore is to swish warm water w/ salt around in your mouth.

I have had them years ago when malnourished due to poverty, and the warm salt water Loghead mentioned did seem to work pretty well.

I got cranked sore few times during braces with wire and even bite accident. It's hurt as HECK! The best use warm water with salt like Loghead said.

I never experience with cold sore. My sister in the law got cold sore on her lips many times.

Seems it might be from ur stomach (acid)...or any dental work/bridge etc. I've only had 1 or 2, and was from my upset stomach. Yeah, they are painful!

I have canker sores so numerous time due accident bite or occur for no reason so I just use mouthwash everyday to reduce any chance to develop the canker sores in eventually.

Some bad toothbrush could cause canker sores, I picked soft toothbrush.

Seems it might be from ur stomach (acid)...or any dental work/bridge etc. I've only had 1 or 2, and was from my upset stomach. Yeah, they are painful!

Oh interesting, I don't know about stomach acid cause canker sores, it sounds like heartburn?

I have severe heartburn issue so I have take omeprazole everyday, or Nexium if I could afford it.

Oh interesting, I don't know about stomach acid cause canker sores, it sounds like heartburn?

I have severe heartburn issue so I have take omeprazole everyday, or Nexium if I could afford it.

Same here, I take the same meds. As for the "purple pill" or Nexium, too expensive! 40mgs daily of Omeprazole works for me! I'm having a songram this week for my stomach because of some "pain." I'm not allowed spicey foods, coffee, acidy-laden foods either. My suspicions are I've got another ulcer but will know soon.

The only way it would be from stomach acid is if the inside of the mouth was actually coming in contact with the acid itself. Braces usually cause mouth sores because of the metal rubbing against the inside of the mouth causing sores. It does sound quite painful.

I haven't had canker sores in decades but when I had some in the past I used warm salt water to heal them.

I thought you get it after you bit on your lips or if you ate something hot?

Same here, I take the same meds. As for the "purple pill" or Nexium, too expensive! 40mgs daily of Omeprazole works for me! I'm having a songram this week for my stomach because of some "pain." I'm not allowed spicey foods, coffee, acidy-laden foods either. My suspicions are I've got another ulcer but will know soon.

Yup, Nexium cost $180 for 30 days supply, ugh and patent will expire in 2014 so you can buy generic of Nexium for cheaper, just like Prilosec in early 1990's that cost over $100.

I know some insurance do cover Nexium since government-run, such as Medicaid or Medicare won't cover, however medicaid in some states probably cover Nexium for serious case.

The only way it would be from stomach acid is if the inside of the mouth was actually coming in contact with the acid itself. Braces usually cause mouth sores because of the metal rubbing against the inside of the mouth causing sores. It does sound quite painful.

Hard toothbrush cause canker sores too.

I have thought about anyone who don't brush their teeth daily could cause canker sores so frequently due bacteria in mouth, is it true?

If you've ever had "acid reflux"?....Severe cases can cause you to vomit, and the acid gets into ur mouth as well. I had it before, and take meds for it.

If you've ever had "acid reflux"?....Severe cases can cause you to vomit, and the acid gets into ur mouth as well. I had it before, and take meds for it.
Yeah, it's nasty. Ugh! It also leaves me with an irritated, raspy throat the next day.

my acid reflux healed completely

I had acid reflux real bad for a long time. I went in for Rolfing to ease back pain and the the reflux went away. Something about the tilt of the pelvis- if it gets out of whack it effects how the organs are packed inside then I guess reflux happens. At least that is what I sorted out-- it was a happy byproduct of the Rolfing and totally unexpected on my part.
I had canker sores when I was a little kid- Dad got some sticks that looked like skewers that had sodium nitrate on the end. It was a coordinated effort getting the nitrate on the sore but they healed right away after. Then they went away for good. There is nothing wrong with sterilizing that toothbrush between brushing. I pour boiling water over mine or soak it for a few minutes in a full Listerine cap and pour it out over the handle when done. Somehow got to be a always do habit. I don't even think about it anymore.

Back