Cancer Survivors

Defmusicman

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if there are any cancer survivors out there who would like to share their stories. I am a cancer survivor myself. I was diagnosed in June 2006 and started chemotherapy and radiation treatment for cancer of the neck and tongue (squamous cell carcinoma). The treatment was rough, took 3 months and it almost killed me. But I made it thru and survived. Yesterday I got the news from my doctor that the scan I had last week showed that the cancer was all gone. I am a very happy man now and I thank God for healing me. My wife , family and friends were very supportive during the hardest time of my life and I could not have made it without them.

I'd like to hear from any other cancer survivors out there. Thanks.

Not me, but my cousin, aunt, uncle, and a couple more of my family members are, but I don't know their story. It all has happened in the past couple years. I havn't had a chance to visit my family that much since I joined the army.

Are you angry that more people are donating money to AIDS research
than Cancer research?

My 2 cousins died from cancer last year... they were young....

but My aunt had colon cancer, she is a cancer survivor...

And many people will get Cancer, but they don't worry about it...

Why people worried more about getting AIDS than getting Cancer?

Are you angry that more people are donating money to AIDS research
than Cancer research?

Why people worried more about getting AIDS than getting Cancer?

To answer your questions...

I think it stupid to funnel more money into AIDS than cancer. Most of the time, AIDS is a result of lifestyle choices. Don't even get me started on that...and I don't believe in the theory that the "devil made me do it" either. Whereas cancer can hit anybody anytime out of the blue for no apparent reason except where people make poor choices such as smoking (i.e., often results in lung cancer). What you gonna do when your number is up anyway?

I guess people realize and hate the stigma of AIDs, how it impacts their lives and others and they fear that more than dealing with cancer. At least, one can't give cancer to somebody else and the medical community is getting better and better in treating it.

My son is brain tumor survivor..
His diagnosis was on HALLOWEEN day year 2003. Finish with his Chemo on Jan 25, 2005 He also had Radiations with Proton Beam at Mass General Hospital where there are ONLY two proton Beams Radiation in this USA.. one in Boston and one in California..
Sean was only 6 half yrs old when we found out. Now he is 9 half years old :)

Both of my grandmothers died of colon cancers, I get myself check annual to make sure i don't have cancer too :)

I donated my time to walk 13 miles and collect money from people to donates to the Fund place to make researches better for these cancers, leukemias, etc at Dana-Farber Cancer Instutitions. Not only that but a sponsor of sean's for 2 years in past he did Pan-Mass Challenger for Biking 192 miles I believe that what it is.. for 2 days biking in mass..

I will keep on going and walk for 13 -26 miles :) 2008 will be my 4th year to walk.. I will keep on and fight for these children and adults to get their best treatments to keep their life improvements!

Wendy

Not a cancer survivor here but I have an aunt who survived breast cancer. Since it runs in my family, I wouldnt be surprised if I got it too. *sighs*

My mother in law is fighting cancer now. She said chemo is her last resort so see how the medicine she is taking works. *crossing fingers*

My grandpa died of cancer...I forgot what was it. I think it is same cancer as Michael Landon had. But I will have to find out what exact type of cancer my grandpa had. He died at age 58. I was only 4 and half and I barely remembered him. I was his favorite girl. I think he did tried to fight to stay live and watch me grow. But it was in 70's and there weren't a lot of technologies as we do have today. But he is in my heart forever.

I noticed that on my dad's side strong cancer, on my mom's side I am not sure.

Wow thanks for sharing this with us. I hope he stay cancer free! :fingersx: for rest of his life. *knock on the wood*

My son is brain tumor survivor..
His diagnosis was on HALLOWEEN day year 2003. Finish with his Chemo on Jan 25, 2005 He also had Radiations with Proton Beam at Mass General Hospital where there are ONLY two proton Beams Radiation in this USA.. one in Boston and one in California..
Sean was only 6 half yrs old when we found out. Now he is 9 half years old :)

Both of my grandmothers died of colon cancers, I get myself check annual to make sure i don't have cancer too :)

I donated my time to walk 13 miles and collect money from people to donates to the Fund place to make researches better for these cancers, leukemias, etc at Dana-Farber Cancer Instutitions. Not only that but a sponsor of sean's for 2 years in past he did Pan-Mass Challenger for Biking 192 miles I believe that what it is.. for 2 days biking in mass..

I will keep on going and walk for 13 -26 miles :) 2008 will be my 4th year to walk.. I will keep on and fight for these children and adults to get their best treatments to keep their life improvements!

Wendy

I'm a cancer survivor myself - I was diagnoised with uterus cancer, the fast growing kind in late Febuary 2000 - just before I left for Council Bluffs, IA, for a basketball tournament. They pumped me full of chemo drugs the day before I left, and I was sick the whole time. I had to have chemo two concenstive days every two weeks for six months - UGH. I was finally cancer free in October 2000, and have been cancer free since then. However, because of the rarity of the cancer I had, I have to be tested yearly.

Oh well - I'm just glad I'm cancer-free.

We do have a history of cancer in my family - my great-grandmother (mother's side) died of cancer, my great-great grandpa passed away from lung cancer, my grandmother had breast cancer (benign) and Grandpa had prostate cancer.

On my father's side, my grandpa had prostate cancer, and my aunt just finished radiation for breast cancer - she's in remission and doing just great.

Hello, I was wondering if there are any cancer survivors out there who would like to share their stories. I am a cancer survivor myself. I was diagnosed in June 2006 and started chemotherapy and radiation treatment for cancer of the neck and tongue (squamous cell carcinoma). The treatment was rough, took 3 months and it almost killed me. But I made it thru and survived. Yesterday I got the news from my doctor that the scan I had last week showed that the cancer was all gone. I am a very happy man now and I thank God for healing me. My wife , family and friends were very supportive during the hardest time of my life and I could not have made it without them.

I'd like to hear from any other cancer survivors out there. Thanks.

Wishing you a continued journey of being blessed and cancer-free--and the support you've gotten during the worse moments in your life help carried you through...it's always a blessing when family, love ones gather around and do all they can in order to maximize your desire and motivation to pull through...without such support, it can be that much harder. Am glad to know you're a cancer survivor and being a very happy fella now. :)

As for anyone else who has survived cancer--all the best to each of you and to be continuously blessed with a clean slate of health and enjoy life to the best you can.

My own father didn't survive his--it's something I'll be tested yearly for--prostate cancer.

~RR

To all of you who have lost one or more family members to cancer, please accept my heartfelt condolences. I know how tough it is as I lost 2 family members to cancer and I was scared that I was next.

And those of us who survived, we know that it's something we never want to go thru again. The sickness, losing hair, losing weight, fatigue, etc was really hard. I am sure that it changed our perspective on life and made us re-think our priorities. We embrace family and friends more now since we know first hand how fragile life is.

WBHarley, you have my admiration as I know how hard it must have been to watch your son go thru treatment. I'm glad that he is doing well.

Empress, yes I agree it's ridiculous that so much more money is being spent on AIDS research than cancer. Especially since it's more of a lifestyle consequence, as sr171soars said. I think it's because the AIDS foundation has celebrities like Liz Taylor and Elton John to do fund-raising for them. Who does fund-raising for the American Cancer Society? Enough said.

I concur with everyone who pretty much has covered it on this thread, however I'd like to add my piece in this.

I've watched my best friend from high school fighting for her life due to a cancer. She had Ewing's Sarcoma which is in the bone. She went through a year of recovery, chemotherapy, radations, so and on. She was finally able to be branded 'cancer free'. That was in 1991 and we were just barely teenagers. Now, in 1999 (8 years later) the cancer has resurfaced, only it was the double whammy. She got it in her lung and another one was in her knee. Unfortunately, She passed away in February 2000. Of course, I was devasted to see my best friend dying but I knew she was in a better place with no more pains and sufferings.

My grandmother is also a cancer survivor - A breast cancer, that is. Breast Cancer tends to run in my family as well, so....obviously I've got to keep myself checked up to the date.

So, I've seen what cancer does upclose and personal. It is not a pretty picture to go through this and that but I do know that life is too precious and it is short. Enjoy the life as much as you can because you don't even know what's going to happen ahead of time.

For those who doesn't know what Ewing's Sarcoma is, Here's the link - Ewing's Sarcoma

Jolie77,

So sorry that you had to watch your best friend suffer and pass away. We feel powerless when that happens and it's hard, I know. Like you said, life is short and it is precious. Let's try to make every minute of every day count and enjoy the life that we have. Thanks for sharing your story with us and my condolences for your friend.

Last year summer I lost my best friend Trudy to cancer. I saw what she went through at the hospital. She was my best friend since I was 5 years old and was really hard on me when she passed away, but in other way it gave me some peace knowing that she no longer is suffering. I still think of her and at times I automatically thought to call her to tell her something, then realized that she was gone.

I had four pounds fibroids tumor in my uterus when I was 36 years old and had hysterectomy. It wasn't cancerous though. I was scared at first until I had biopsy done, which showed that it was tumor. Good thing I had children before.

My mom was survived for 16 years till got another cancer so its beat my mom to passed away. :(

Peachy Lady,

I am so glad that the tumor you had was not cancerous. I'm glad that you"re still around :) My condolences for your friend, though. I understand how hard that was for you to go thru.

Phillips,

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope you're doing ok and I'll say a prayer for you.

Ernest

Jolie77,

So sorry that you had to watch your best friend suffer and pass away. We feel powerless when that happens and it's hard, I know. Like you said, life is short and it is precious. Let's try to make every minute of every day count and enjoy the life that we have. Thanks for sharing your story with us and my condolences for your friend.

Thank You. :) Yes, It is definitely hard to be there knowing that I'm not able to do anything when the nature has taken it's course and feeling powerless. I liked the thought you shared of making every minute of each day count and enjoy life as we should be doing. :)

To answer your questions...

I think it stupid to funnel more money into AIDS than cancer. Most of the time, AIDS is a result of lifestyle choices. Don't even get me started on that...and I don't believe in the theory that the "devil made me do it" either. Whereas cancer can hit anybody anytime out of the blue for no apparent reason except where people make poor choices such as smoking (i.e., often results in lung cancer). What you gonna do when your number is up anyway?

I guess people realize and hate the stigma of AIDs, how it impacts their lives and others and they fear that more than dealing with cancer. At least, one can't give cancer to somebody else and the medical community is getting better and better in treating it.

:gpost:

My mother was a cancer survivor for many years. She had several different types of cancer which only required surgery. Unfortunately during the summer of 2004, doctors diagnosed her with pancreatic cancer which had already spread to 90% of her body. She was on chemotherapy for several months. In December of 2004, she became quite ill and lost her battle with cancer. My mother was a cancer survivor for over 10 years.

Hear Again,

So sorry about your mother. Hope you are doing ok and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Cherish each day that we have because it is a gift from God. Make the most of it. God bless.

Are you angry that more people are donating money to AIDS research than Cancer research?
To The Empress - I gotta ask where did you get that information from. Please share your source. This is really not about AIDS but I am interested in where you obtain such information.

To Deafmusicman, thank God that you came through it. I wish you all the best and may cancer never return to your body.

Back