Canada Election 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
ssssshhhhhhh - it's best not to argue with a Canadian if you're not very familiar with Canadian government system

I'm not argue with him but just show about link doesn't lie about current PM's structure on gay marriage.

Oh I do not follow CBC News because of their lack of fair journalistic practices.

I'm not argue with him but just show about link doesn't lie about current PM's structure on gay marriage.

who cares??????

As Royale said - "It would not make any difference because the SCOC will overrule it anyways."

who cares??????

As Royale said - "It would not make any difference because the SCOC will overrule it anyways."

I do care because I'm GLBT activist.

See my post #60 about my question on Canada Supreme Court.

Well, what about Stephen Harper? He doesn't support gay marriage but only for civil unions, that what his view stands for and link about his view doesn't lie.

Does Canada have any way to override Canada Supreme Court decision? In US, we can by pass the new amendment but require 2/3 in congress and 1/3 from states.

:facepalm again:

I know he has been against the gay marriage for a long time. My point is he knows it would be fruitless for the government to make this kind of law for one reason: The SCOC already made a ruling in favor of gay marriage some years ago.

Any SCOC ruling is a final trump unlike US Superme Court. The only way to circumvent their final ruling is to use a notwithstanding clause.

I know he has been against the gay marriage for a long time. My point is he knows it would be fruitless for the government to make this kind of law for one reason: The SCOC already made a ruling in favor of gay marriage some years ago.

Any SCOC ruling is a final trump unlike US Superme Court. The only way to circumvent their final ruling is to use a notwithstanding clause.

Like I say in above, it is okay and you answered my question.

Thank you so much for answer my question so discussion is over.

FYI: I have been a very strong supporter of gay rights because I firmly believe in human rights.

I'm assuming it's extraordinary rare and extraordinary difficult to do such thing.

Same thing in here. Extraordinary difficult to overturn Supreme Court's ruling. The easiest way to overturn it is to have the SC overturns its own lol

I do care because I'm GLBT activist.

See my post #60 about my question on Canada Supreme Court.

there's nothing to worry about since GLBT rights are safe and sound in Canada.

I'm assuming it's extraordinary rare and extraordinary difficult to do such thing.

Same thing in here. Extraordinary difficult to overturn Supreme Court's ruling. The easiest way to overturn it is to have the SC overturns its own lol

It's nearly impossible for the government to overrule a ruling made by the Supreme Court.

FYI: I have been a very strong supporter of gay rights because I firmly believe in human rights.

Nice to hear and I think that I remember that you did say that in past when first met in AD.

I found out that's interesting about conservatives in Canada and UK are much different from US.

Yes I think it has been done before once or twice, but I am not sure. Only the federal and provincial governments are entitled to use a notwithstanding clause according to the Canadian Constitution. Should one of them apply it on one specific SCOC ruling, the clause stays for ten years. I need to check with my friend who is a lawyer to see if I am correct.

It's nearly impossible for the government to overrule a ruling made by the Supreme Court.

Yes right that is why they have had a notwithstanding clause in our constitution. It has not been used often.

Yes I think it has been done before once or twice, but I am not sure. Only the federal and provincial governments are entitled to use a notwithstanding clause according to the Canadian Constitution. Should one of them apply it on one specific SCOC ruling, the clause stays for ten years. I need to check with my friend who is a lawyer to see if I am correct.

The federal government has never used the clause, it has only been invoked by some provincial governments in the past.

To shine some light on the subject, here's a link. From what I have read, it seems to have been invoked on four separate occasions.

The Notwithstanding Clause: Section 33 of the Charter | Mapleleafweb.com

Nice to hear and I think that I remember that you did say that in past when first met in AD.

I found out that's interesting about conservatives in Canada and UK are much different from US.

Yeah hence why I try not to compare them to the US member of either party and why I'm not commenting except in the broadest sense cuz I don't know a great deal about Canada's parties.

Not even sure why we are talking about human rights. Frankly, people are more concerned about the rising costs of housing, employment, costs of education and survival of small businesses [responsible over half of the nation's employment opportunities] than about religious rights and human rights.

That's why the NDP has an appeal it does. The Liberals don't even have a game-plan other than reversing all of the conservatives' bad decisions.

The Tories didn't have much of a hand in the recovery. The banks did. Thanks to the regulations that were made for the banks in Canada, we didn't have to take a hard punch in the gut like the USA did. Jim Flaherty isn't that great of a Finance Minister. I mean, he did leave us with a deficit of $6 billion in Ontario. He's not exactly a honest fellow either regarding the economy.

Hell, Jean Chretien prevented the merger of the banks from occurring! Harper wanted the merger to happen back when he was the Opposition leader.

61.4% voter turnout. What's your opinion: Is compulsory voting in Canada's future?

61.4% voter turnout. What's your opinion: Is compulsory voting in Canada's future?

No wonder why the seats don't really reflect the opinion polls. People who don't vote loses the right to bitch about taxes, policy and budgets. Yes, I am aware of people's reasons not to vote, but... with so many independents out there...

There are loads of parties out there to represent one's political view. Hell, there was a PIRATE PARTY on the ballot in Edmonton. I laughed when I saw the Marxist-Leninist Party on my local ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back