Can someone who is severely deaf talk normally?

Probably like I yell when I play Sofball and mess up.

My hubby was born profoundly deaf (105 db) and he can actually use the phone with certain people and speaks well. Some of it is luck, some of it is speech therapy, some of it is his ability to benefit from hearing aids and some of it is just that he had two involved parents and teachers who tried to make sure that he had access to language.

I was born hearing, became hard of hearing around five and then profoundly deaf at nineteen-- and I've never been able to use the phone, but I've kept my speaking skills.

I'm profoundly deaf in both ears, my voice is OK, I actively monitored my voice early on going deaf, by getting feedback from hearing, and trained myself to adopt mentally the same levels and volume all the time, and it works. Part of the problem identified with losing voice, is using sign language (Sorry !), so I never use it unless with another deaf person, and I have limited interaction with a lot of signing deaf and mix with HoH too, because they tend to not use voices, and it can be a habit ! My voice is still there, because it is vital to keep all the asset you can to communicate with I think. I had problems learning sign language, not because I lacked the ability, I don't, but because they kept telling me not to talk as well, and I refused, I couldn't do that.

Last edited:
I'm profoundly deaf in both ears, my voice is OK, I actively monitored my voice early on going deaf, by getting feedback from hearing, and trained myself to adopt mentally the same levels and volume all the time, and it works. Part of the problem identified with losing voice, is using sign language (Sorry !), so I never use it unless with another deaf person, and I have limited interaction with a lot of signing deaf and mix with HoH too, because they tend to not use voices, and it can be a habit ! My voice is still there, because it is vital to keep all the asset you can to communicate with I think. I had problems learning sign language, not because I lacked the ability, I don't, but because they kept telling me not to talk as well, and I refused, I couldn't do that.

U wont lose your voice nor your ability to speak if u start using sign language. It seems to be a common myth. I still can switch back and forth using both languages with no problems. Sign language has never caused me to lose my speech skills at all. I do not use my voice at all when signing cuz ASL is a separate language from English.

U wont lose your voice nor your ability to speak if u start using sign language. It seems to be a common myth. I still can switch back and forth using both languages with no problems. Sign language has never caused me to lose my speech skills at all. I do not use my voice at all when signing cuz ASL is a separate language from English.

I think it it depends a lot how, (and where) you socialize probably, and of course what IS your primary mode..... If you retain most socializing exclusive to the deaf and signing community, then speech is not the primary mode they will be using. It can creep up on you, the habit of not speaking, because they don't need or want it. even oralising words while signing seems to throw some deaf, they assume you are hearing or something. Being told by sign teachers to not speak, I found ultra negative, and it stopped me progressing with sign language... I wasn't going to give up speech for anyone. They did camera work to judge how we progressed, and they stopped me, and stopped me, every time I spoke, so I left.

In reality this actually suggests deaf people are mute. Not a good image to give to learners...... Personal circumstances really dictate. If like me you have a hearing child, then you HAVE to speak all the time, or where else will they learn ? my partner is deaf too... doing that over years means any sign is going to take second place always. My preferred mode is actually text ! still way above sign for hearing-deaf interaction, but obviously slow. But I spend more time with hearing than I do deaf.

You will lose your voice if you don't use it, that's a fact actually. If deaf you have to make a conscious attempt to speak clearly at all times, because there is no audible feedback to rely on. Most deaf I come into contact with don't like people 'talking' to them at the same time as you sign, perhaps it's a comms issue with them. Factually you should ALWAYS speak and sign, because deaf may be lip-reading as well. A point I made to the sign tutor, she still advocated I didn't speak when with deaf people. I have ignored this advice. My sign is pretty rubbish as a result....

Are sign classes designed for hearing or what ?

I think it it depends a lot how, (and where) you socialize probably, and of course what IS your primary mode..... If you retain most socializing exclusive to the deaf and signing community, then speech is not the primary mode they will be using. It can creep up on you, the habit of not speaking, because they don't need or want it. even oralising words while signing seems to throw some deaf, they assume you are hearing or something. Being told by sign teachers to not speak, I found ultra negative, and it stopped me progressing with sign language... I wasn't going to give up speech for anyone. They did camera work to judge how we progressed, and they stopped me, and stopped me, every time I spoke, so I left.

In reality this actually suggests deaf people are mute. Not a good image to give to learners...... Personal circumstances really dictate. If like me you have a hearing child, then you HAVE to speak all the time, or where else will they learn ? my partner is deaf too... doing that over years means any sign is going to take second place always. My preferred mode is actually text ! still way above sign for hearing-deaf interaction, but obviously slow. But I spend more time with hearing than I do deaf.

You will lose your voice if you don't use it, that's a fact actually. If deaf you have to make a conscious attempt to speak clearly at all times, because there is no audible feedback to rely on. Most deaf I come into contact with don't like people 'talking' to them at the same time as you sign, perhaps it's a comms issue with them. Factually you should ALWAYS speak and sign, because deaf may be lip-reading as well. A point I made to the sign tutor, she still advocated I didn't speak when with deaf people. I have ignored this advice. My sign is pretty rubbish as a result....

Are sign classes designed for hearing or what ?

I started becoming involved with the Deaf community at the age of 25 about 11 years ago. I use ASL all day and all night. Havent lost my ability to speak with hearing people cuz to this day most hearing people still understand me. Many of my Deaf friends have good oral skills despite using ASL as their primary mode of communication. Dont know where u got the idea. :dunno:

Being told by sign teachers to not speak, I found ultra negative, and it stopped me progressing with sign language... I wasn't going to give up speech for anyone. They did camera work to judge how we progressed, and they stopped me, and stopped me, every time I spoke, so I left.

In reality this actually suggests deaf people are mute. Not a good image to give to learners......
Actually, I think the reason many sign teachers prefer their students not to speak is because it reinforces a connection between English and ASL. They are trying to emphasize that ASL is a completely different language from English, and they want to have you separate the two in your mind. That's always been the reason I've heard for why sign students are told not to speak in class. Not because it's assumed that deaf people don't speak, but because it helps you realize that they are two different languages.
Most deaf I come into contact with don't like people 'talking' to them at the same time as you sign, perhaps it's a comms issue with them. Factually you should ALWAYS speak and sign, because deaf may be lip-reading as well. A point I made to the sign tutor, she still advocated I didn't speak when with deaf people. I have ignored this advice. My sign is pretty rubbish as a result....
And yes, anytime you insist on signing and speaking at the same time, one or both is going to suffer. Either your signing won't be very good, or your speaking won't be very good. Sim-Com is not an effective way of communicating because you can't physically produce two languages at once - the brain cannot do it.

Actually, I think the reason many sign teachers prefer their students not to speak is because it reinforces a connection between English and ASL. They are trying to emphasize that ASL is a completely different language from English, and they want to have you separate the two in your mind. That's always been the reason I've heard for why sign students are told not to speak in class. Not because it's assumed that deaf people don't speak, but because it helps you realize that they are two different languages.

Exactly. One cannot use a pure model of ASL when using spoken English and vice versa.

I'm profoundly Deaf now and have had good speech since I was younger. I attribute that to aggressive speech therapy in elementary and middle school.

I often practice improving my own speech as well. Still hard to pronounce certain words.

Exactly. One cannot use a pure model of ASL when using spoken English and vice versa.

I don't see this, I see lots of hearing people when they sign still manage to speak as well, it may well be slower, but that isn't the issue, only effectiveness is important. It is drawing a line between deaf communication, i.e. you sign, or you speak, or you lip-read, but you don't mix ? In reality deaf use any and all means to take in information, NO-ONE relies solely on sign language, despite claims, there is MUCH more going on. The more that can be seen the more access comes out surely ? The problem still seems to be, sign tuition is not communication tuition in the broader sense. It only effectively works deaf to deaf ? and if you mimic deaf by not talking ? Hearing pretending to be deaf ?

I don't see this, I see lots of hearing people when they sign still manage to speak as well, it may well be slower, but that isn't the issue, only effectiveness is important. It is drawing a line between deaf communication, i.e. you sign, or you speak, or you lip-read, but you don't mix ? In reality deaf use any and all means to take in information, NO-ONE relies solely on sign language, despite claims, there is MUCH more going on. The more that can be seen the more access comes out surely ? The problem still seems to be, sign tuition is not communication tuition in the broader sense. It only effectively works deaf to deaf ? and if you mimic deaf by not talking ? Hearing pretending to be deaf ?
As we have already established, it is physically impossible to sign ASL and speak English at the same time. You will either end up signing in English word order and maybe dropping out some signs, or you will end up speaking in ASL word order and maybe leaving out some information.

When you say "no one relies solely on sign language" you seem to be under the impression that sign language is only made with the hands. When you say "much more is going on" you're making more sense about ASL. The mouth, body, eyes, face, hands, and arms are all involved in ASL. Yes, of course people who use sign language rely on more information than just the hands. However, that does not mean that speaking, or word-for-word mouthing (with no sound produced), is necessary to understand sign language. Also, using speech does not mean someone is hearing, not using speech does not mean someone is deaf. Plenty of deaf people speak when they sign, they are not "pretending to be hearing," and plenty of hearing people don't speak when they sign, they are not "pretending to be deaf."

If YOU have been unable to learn sign language without using speaking along with it, that is only YOUR issue with how sign language is taught.

I'm profoundly Deaf and I've been told by many people that I talk normal like hearing person, that they can't detect the accent of Deafness.

*shrugs* I believe that people who went to Oral school and is profoundly deaf can speak normal...I have friends who can speak normal but some have little deaf accent and some don't. It just depends on the person and the training they went through.

Of course they tell all of you that you talk normal, they don't want to hurt your feelings! Hearing people will lie sometimes just to spare your feelings. There are many Deaf people that can speak well enough that the hearing people can understand them....but Deaf people CANNOT talk normal like a hearing person......I dont care how much your hearing friends bullshit you. Also, there are many Deaf that try to voice for themselves insisting they can talk normal....YOU CANT...that is what the interpreter is there for. Continue to practice your speech skills......but dont get on here saying you can talk normal.....you are lying to yourself and everyone else.

As we have already established, it is physically impossible to sign ASL and speak English at the same time. You will either end up signing in English word order and maybe dropping out some signs, or you will end up speaking in ASL word order and maybe leaving out some information.

When you say "no one relies solely on sign language" you seem to be under the impression that sign language is only made with the hands. When you say "much more is going on" you're making more sense about ASL. The mouth, body, eyes, face, hands, and arms are all involved in ASL. Yes, of course people who use sign language rely on more information than just the hands. However, that does not mean that speaking, or word-for-word mouthing (with no sound produced), is necessary to understand sign language. Also, using speech does not mean someone is hearing, not using speech does not mean someone is deaf. Plenty of deaf people speak when they sign, they are not "pretending to be hearing," and plenty of hearing people don't speak when they sign, they are not "pretending to be deaf."

If YOU have been unable to learn sign language without using speaking along with it, that is only YOUR issue with how sign language is taught.

I couldn't have come up with a better response to that post. Good explaination and thanks!

Hello

I became APHL about 3 years ago, im 57 now so still have speech although im told it fluctuates from very very high, to very very very low, but if i slow down in controlled manner im ok. But i do wonder if its worth it sometimes, i find it easier just to shup up lol...

Stu

Of course they tell all of you that you talk normal, they don't want to hurt your feelings! Hearing people will lie sometimes just to spare your feelings. There are many Deaf people that can speak well enough that the hearing people can understand them....but Deaf people CANNOT talk normal like a hearing person......I dont care how much your hearing friends bullshit you. Also, there are many Deaf that try to voice for themselves insisting they can talk normal....YOU CANT...that is what the interpreter is there for. Continue to practice your speech skills......but dont get on here saying you can talk normal.....you are lying to yourself and everyone else.

For your information,

I have met deaf people that CAN talk normal...why on earth would they want to tell me a lie when I preferably want the truth.

I know I'm not lying to myself because it's the truth, I can speak like a normal person and I'm telling you the truth, I do not have deaf accent...believe me, they were shocked when I told them that I'm Deaf.

I never had interpreter most of my life up til after high school...unless you count Captioner an interpreter...I had that since 3rd grade up to 12th grade, but really, it's not that much a difference, I'm just reading and I can hear what the teachers are saying. I pretty much had Speech Therpy from 16 months old to 18 years old, and my parents/friends/Family always help me to say the word correctly...

It take practice to learn speech and you know what...I got better at it and I speak like a normal hearing person.

Now, don't piss me off and be mad at me because you think I'm lying. Well, I'm telling you that I'm not lying and I'm telling you the truth. Most won't even know that I'm deaf just by my talking...They only know once I tell them and show my CI (Which is mostly covered by my hair) and once they get to know me better and longer...they will notice that I sometimes ask to repeat what they have said...that's about it.

So Please refrain from yourself speaking about that...because in case you haven't noticed, you probably have offended some deaf people here. But You haven't offended me...I'm just pointing out the fact. :)

I'm yet another deafie who can talk normal as a rule. I speak normal about 95% of the time; I still can't say the r in some words correctly. Most hearing don't realize even when I can't prononce the r correctly they're hearing deaf speech. They will assume that what they're hearing is a slight speech defect.

The interpreter is here to interpret with others say to me as I have a hard time following what other people say or when I have to sit thru a debate or lecture heavy class. Just because I have good speech doesn't mean my hearing is good.

Wow, you're an asshat. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Back