Can someone who is severely deaf talk normally?

Of course they tell all of you that you talk normal, they don't want to hurt your feelings! Hearing people will lie sometimes just to spare your feelings. There are many Deaf people that can speak well enough that the hearing people can understand them....but Deaf people CANNOT talk normal like a hearing person......I dont care how much your hearing friends bullshit you. Also, there are many Deaf that try to voice for themselves insisting they can talk normal....YOU CANT...that is what the interpreter is there for. Continue to practice your speech skills......but dont get on here saying you can talk normal.....you are lying to yourself and everyone else.

:roll:

What a load of crap.

Despite having severe-profound hearing loss for 10 years prior to receiving my first CI, I've been told by hearies (pre-CI) that I could speak quite well with the exception of speaking too loudly as well as sounding monotonous, "nasaly" and as if I had a lisp. Now that I have CIs, I'm able to regulate my voice and speak at a normal volume.

Of course they tell all of you that you talk normal, they don't want to hurt your feelings! Hearing people will lie sometimes just to spare your feelings. There are many Deaf people that can speak well enough that the hearing people can understand them....but Deaf people CANNOT talk normal like a hearing person......I dont care how much your hearing friends bullshit you. Also, there are many Deaf that try to voice for themselves insisting they can talk normal....YOU CANT...that is what the interpreter is there for. Continue to practice your speech skills......but dont get on here saying you can talk normal.....you are lying to yourself and everyone else.

Ahem! Then how when I am at work I never tell my clients that I am deaf (i am lifelong profoundly deaf), When they ask me for advice, tips, etc and we often end up with conversation. Then often they come back asking for me to help them as I was good to them, quite alot of times after 3 or 4 visits, those times i had my hair up they said "oh i didn't realise you were Hard of hearing" I said nope I am Profoundly deaf. They thought my speech was beyond exceptional and asked me how I managed it with very little hearing. Intensive speech therapy until i was 16, Oral deaf school aswell, and my Damn stubborness!
I am now 30/ci user (only had it 2 months) I was told I don't need speech therapy, and to be honest why should I need it I communicate very well with outside world.

If I were you you need to re read what you wrote. And don't bother coming on here if you carry on insulting us.

"Can you talk?"

"Oh, I speak deaf..."

"Whoa! You can talk!"

Interesting. I have been told by college professors (professors, not instructors), that they didn't realize I was deaf. I have told medical doctors to look at me when they speak so I can read their lips due to deafness. I have told lawyers and judges that I needed sign language interpreters in court only to see them appalled and confess to me that they had no idea I was deaf. These are all intelligent and well-educated people; they are qualified to criticize a person's grammar and linguistics. They all admitted to me that I speak just as well as they do. Therefore, your argument is without merit.

Furthermore, I speak three languages and I am profound deaf.

You, Jeff_Andum, are obviously ignorant about the issue of which you spoke.

>>Of course they tell all of you that you talk normal, they don't want to hurt your feelings! Hearing people will lie sometimes just to spare your feelings. There are many Deaf people that can speak well enough that the hearing people can understand them....but Deaf people CANNOT talk normal like a hearing person......I dont care how much your hearing friends bullshit you. Also, there are many Deaf that try to voice for themselves insisting they can talk normal....YOU CANT...that is what the interpreter is there for. Continue to practice your speech skills......but dont get on here saying you can talk normal.....you are lying to yourself and everyone else.<<

I'm not big "D" deaf, but I have friends who are and I'm insulted by your post. If I remember correctly, you're an interpreter (or are currently in training to become one). If that's the case, you ought to go back to your ITP and learn a little more about Deaf culture. :roll:

I'm not big "D" deaf, but I have friends who are and I'm insulted by your post. If I remember correctly, you're an interpreter (or are currently in training to become one). If that's the case, you ought to go back to your ITP and learn a little more about Deaf culture. :roll:
Agreed!

So, I talk so badly that people are so shocked when I tell them I am deaf after talking with me for a quite wel? I guess they lied to me when they said that they would have never known that I am deaf due to my excellent speech skills? I will go back and tell them that they should be ashamed of themselves! :giggle:

Really, I couldnt care less if I dont talk perfectly or not.. If I dont ..life goes on..I stopped caring since I learned ASL.

Er, I had surgery yesterday, and I'm on some strong medication at the moment, so what I'm about to say may contain more flaws than usual :giggle:

I was born and grew up with better hearing than most people tested at the age I was originally tested in first or second grade, don't remember which. Anyway, I began losing my hearing at around age 20, and as of this summer, I was told that I have absolutely no residual hearing.

Jeez, I think I'm about to pass out. Well, let me see if I can finish this thought.

My mom and my sister have told me that my speech is exactly the same as when I was hearing, although I did have a little speech therapy earlier, which may have given me an advantage over those who haven't.

There are times, however, when I cannot figure out what word to say, and I must sign it. If I were signing ASL, there are vast amounts of concepts that are expressed in ASL in such a way as to be impossible to duplicate in voice, and I mean IMPOSSIBLE. You can have an IQ of 10,000 and it will be impossible. It has nothing to do with skill. The basic principals of the language of ASL are entirely different from all spoken languages.

However, because my family originally agreed to learn SEE, I reluctantly ordered a SEE dictionary and studied and learned SEE so that I could communicate with them. I very quickly became fluent since SEE is an exact copy of my native language of English. My mom wanted me to speak while I signed because she believed that she would learn more quickly that way. However, though I can speak very well and I can sign in SEE very well, when I try to do both at once, they both simultaneously suffer tremendously. I know there are people who can speak and sign at the same time, but they are not speaking English while signing ASL. In all likelihood, they're signing PSE or SEE.

I did have a deaf ASL instructor who spoke when he signed, but he was not speaking English. He only spoke in ASL word order, and always left out concepts that couldn't be translated directly into English. He did this only for the first few weeks of the class, and after that, speaking was forbidden. The advantage I got out of the rule against speaking was actually that it encouraged us to learn ASL much more quickly due to it being our only form of communication combined with our need to communicate. It doesn't mean you can't speak out in the real world, but it's a very useful and effective educational tool.

Now, with my limited experience with ASL, I feel I should point out that from what I've seen, I wouldn't recommend speaking while signing ASL because for one thing, it doesn't make sense, and for another thing, not speaking allows you to use more facial expressions to emphasise what you're signing. Besides, as many have pointed out, it's not the same language, so it's silly to speak two languages at once, even if you have a duel-core processor in your brain that allows you do that.

This is my personal viewpoint and experiences, granted I've expressed them while under the influence of a potent pain medication due to my recent surgery yesterday :D

I was born deaf but can hear little without my hearing aids. I been oral all my life and people though I am hearing but I am not. And as for ASL to sign and speak, that is very difficult for me to do at same time because it is not match ASL and English. So I don't use my voice when I sign. I am very thankful my parent forced me oral, it's very useful in hearing world but at same time I felt bad that some deaf people can't speak but to write on paper which it is sucks.

Define normal. I have friends that are deaf and I continue to meet deaf people and while some use their voice most of them don't. The ones who do I can understand as long as I am facing them, and really concentrate on what they are saying and the context of it. I have yet to meet someone deaf who spoke "like" a hearing person but that does not mean there aren't deaf people who can't. I have also meet some hearing people who for the life of me I couldn't understand even when I asked them to repeat what was said. So there are plenty of hearing people who don't speak "normal".

Er, I had surgery yesterday, and I'm on some strong medication at the moment, so what I'm about to say may contain more flaws than usual :giggle:

I was born and grew up with better hearing than most people tested at the age I was originally tested in first or second grade, don't remember which. Anyway, I began losing my hearing at around age 20, and as of this summer, I was told that I have absolutely no residual hearing.

Jeez, I think I'm about to pass out. Well, let me see if I can finish this thought.

My mom and my sister have told me that my speech is exactly the same as when I was hearing, although I did have a little speech therapy earlier, which may have given me an advantage over those who haven't.

There are times, however, when I cannot figure out what word to say, and I must sign it. If I were signing ASL, there are vast amounts of concepts that are expressed in ASL in such a way as to be impossible to duplicate in voice, and I mean IMPOSSIBLE. You can have an IQ of 10,000 and it will be impossible. It has nothing to do with skill. The basic principals of the language of ASL are entirely different from all spoken languages.

However, because my family originally agreed to learn SEE, I reluctantly ordered a SEE dictionary and studied and learned SEE so that I could communicate with them. I very quickly became fluent since SEE is an exact copy of my native language of English. My mom wanted me to speak while I signed because she believed that she would learn more quickly that way. However, though I can speak very well and I can sign in SEE very well, when I try to do both at once, they both simultaneously suffer tremendously. I know there are people who can speak and sign at the same time, but they are not speaking English while signing ASL. In all likelihood, they're signing PSE or SEE.

I did have a deaf ASL instructor who spoke when he signed, but he was not speaking English. He only spoke in ASL word order, and always left out concepts that couldn't be translated directly into English. He did this only for the first few weeks of the class, and after that, speaking was forbidden. The advantage I got out of the rule against speaking was actually that it encouraged us to learn ASL much more quickly due to it being our only form of communication combined with our need to communicate. It doesn't mean you can't speak out in the real world, but it's a very useful and effective educational tool.

Now, with my limited experience with ASL, I feel I should point out that from what I've seen, I wouldn't recommend speaking while signing ASL because for one thing, it doesn't make sense, and for another thing, not speaking allows you to use more facial expressions to emphasise what you're signing. Besides, as many have pointed out, it's not the same language, so it's silly to speak two languages at once, even if you have a duel-core processor in your brain that allows you do that.

This is my personal viewpoint and experiences, granted I've expressed them while under the influence of a potent pain medication due to my recent surgery yesterday :D

Despite your drug induced euphoria, your post made perfect sense!:P

Define normal. I have friends that are deaf and I continue to meet deaf people and while some use their voice most of them don't. The ones who do I can understand as long as I am facing them, and really concentrate on what they are saying and the context of it. I have yet to meet someone deaf who spoke "like" a hearing person but that does not mean there aren't deaf people who can't. I have also meet some hearing people who for the life of me I couldn't understand even when I asked them to repeat what was said. So there are plenty of hearing people who don't speak "normal".

True...I even had some people tell me that they understand me better than some of their hearing family members or friends. On the other hand, there are some hearing people who cant understand me if they lives depended on it! I guess it depends on how each person process the sounds.

As we have already established, it is physically impossible to sign ASL and speak English at the same time. You will either end up signing in English word order and maybe dropping out some signs, or you will end up speaking in ASL word order and maybe leaving out some information.

Ain't that the truth? I've attempted it before, only to end up mangling BOTH languages beyond belief.:ugh:

I don t see nothing wrong for someone whom can be serverlty deaf can talk normal. Deafness shouldn't stop a person to talk or signs or do anything in life. I am deaf and I talk pretty normally too. But my hearing loss got more serverly so I went for the CI and it pretty much helps me lot. But I will always be deaf when I take my CI off and still talk nomrally. :)

Back