Can someone who is severely deaf talk normally?

hi

im proufoundly deaf but i have a cochlear implant i speak and hear ok when i have it on but when i take it off my parents told me they notice my speech going a bit wierd coz i cant hear what im saying! :P

The Truth of Deaf Voices ;)

http://www.deafeducation.org/stories/true.html

THE TRUTH
ANOTHER TRUE STORY

Throughout my school life, I have been plucked out of many lessons about 2 or 3 times a week to be trooped off to a local University where they teach students to become teachers of the Deaf.

To their eyes, I was a 'model' pupil, easy target for student teachers to try their skills in teaching me to speak good with that bulky headphones over my ears, using feather prompting me to say my p's, s's, k's, m's, n's etc properly. Oh the look of these student teachers' faces when they thought how well they have done on me and patting my head etc! But with bulky heavy headphones, comes along with sore red swollen ears! Thank you so much!

As years go by, oralist teachers for ever strummed into me on how well I speak and lipread and on how good I will be for society. Me, as a naïve Deafie, nodding my head away feeling clever.

Clever, my word! Real world soon hit me and I realised before it became too late. I was travelling to Portsmouth to meet my fiance by train. I had to change trains from Euston to Waterloo with heavy suitcase. I summoned the help of a porter to carry my suitcase - by the way it was 1966 then! When I uttered the word, Waterloo, which I thought pretty easy to say it with no p's, s's k's etc. The porter did not understand me straight away but off he went carrying my suitcase. He then turned and asked me if I was a French so I said no. We carried on, when he turned and asked me if I was a German so again I said no.

I thought strange, why does he keep asking me if I was foreign so I told him that I am Deaf which he remarked ah that's why!

I did not know what he mean. So when I went home and asked my mum why did he think I was foreign with the questions like that. She told me that I have a Deaf voice - different from hearing people's voice.

From that day on, I realised my true Deaf identity and began to tell people that oralist teachers have brainwashed me in saying I have a good speech to meet society's expectations - that was rubbish and a very BIG lie! Thank goodness I was able to realised my Deaf identity and be proud of it rather than becoming oralist freak!

Brenda Hamlin

There you go!

:ty:
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:

When trying to get a profoundly deaf child to learn speech, you try to teach them to say what they see. Since all speech movements cannot be seen, most will leave out the sounds that can't be speech read.

The point is not whether they can develop speech skills, it is why should they have to? I say concentrate on LANGUAGE, not speech.

OMG, yeah I've gone through that too. I don't think that this should mean total abandonment of speech training, as there are dumbasses everywhere who can't undy our speech. My speech is decent, but I have STILL had tons of experiances like the one in SM's post......and don't even get me started on the times when someone thought that I'm MR b/c of my voice. Still VERY self conscious about my voice. Actually when I was younger, I was a lot shyer b/c people made fun of my voice....

What I don't understand is why speech therapists sometimes cover their mouth. Yes, it's possible to "learn to listen" with residual hearing but why not let the kid listen AND see?

Etoile said:
What I don't understand is why speech therapists sometimes cover their mouth. Yes, it's possible to "learn to listen" with residual hearing but why not let the kid listen AND see?

It's to try to force the kids to use their residual hearing. It comes from the (forgive me for this word!) audist attitude of believing that it will make the kid less deaf and more like a hearing kid. It is absolutely a ridiculas theory and a stupid practice. My son used to reach across the table and try to pull their hand from their mouth. It causes extreme frustration for the deaf kid who is trying to do what is being asked of him, but prevented from understanding what it is they want him to do. I find it a cruel and torturous treatment.

deafdyke said:
OMG, yeah I've gone through that too. I don't think that this should mean total abandonment of speech training, as there are dumbasses everywhere who can't undy our speech. My speech is decent, but I have STILL had tons of experiances like the one in SM's post......and don't even get me started on the times when someone thought that I'm MR b/c of my voice. Still VERY self conscious about my voice. Actually when I was younger, I was a lot shyer b/c people made fun of my voice....

And, they not only don't understand, they automatically assume that you are MR because they are too stupid to grasp it! :dunno:

and yet again....

When trying to get a profoundly deaf child to learn speech, you try to teach them to say what they see. Since all speech movements cannot be seen, most will leave out the sounds that can't be speech read.

A profoundly deaf children can/does have invisible sounds cleared up via Cued English/Cued Speech.

deafdyke said:
... as there are dumbasses everywhere who can't undy our speech. My speech is decent, but I have STILL had tons of experiances like the one in SM's post......and don't even get me started on the times when someone thought that I'm MR b/c of my voice.

Er...why are you calling people names when maybe they really can't understand your speech? I have heard enough deaf speech to understand where they are coming from. There is a "certain" expectation of the styles and enunciations with speech (depending on one's background) that allows the hearing to adjust to variations in what they hear. Many hearing aren't used to deaf speech whatsoever and hence some of the responses from them that can be frustrating. Has somebody stated (who can hear) say your speech is decent? Or is it your estimatation of your own speech? Just curious...

Yes.. it is true that almost all of deafies have "deaf" voice.....

When I was younger.. I took my kids to the skating rinks every night... one night one of my daughter patted my hip i was ordering snacks ... I looked down at her.... she told me one of girls in this room is deaf... I asked her how she did knows... she said that girl had same deaf voice as me... I looked at this girl my daughter pointed at her...

I walked to her asking her if she is deaf... She said Yes.... but did not know the sign langauges... .. she was oral deaf..

her parents did not allow her to learn signs... so I taught her and introduced one nice deaf guy...

they got married and had couple kids....

thats how i know my voice is "deaf" even tho I was HOH...

SxyPorkie :whistle:

It comes from the (forgive me for this word!) audist attitude
Oh in this case, it IS very appropreate!!!! It comes from auditory verbal therapy philopshophy, which is making the kids as "normal and healthy" as possible!
loml, I've been told I have pretty good speech....Not to mention the fact that I utilize language like Willam Safire. It's just certain prejudicated dumbasses who think that I'm MR.....and the thing is, that I've noticed that many of those people are almost MR themselves!

Etoile said:
In the auditory verbal approach it is used so the child will learn to listen to what is being said. It also helps to build the childs auditory memory.

On the other hand, is the auditory verbal approach really backed up by solid research? I mean even HEARIES speechread......LOL, especially if they are around a dhh person. So many of my hearing friends picked up speechreading from me......we could have "spoken" conversations without making a sound!

There IS proof that hearing people understand better when looking at someone...I can vouch for it, especially when I'm in a crowd.

I don't understand why some people think speech is totally evil--or why anyone would think signing is evil. Bad teaching doesn't make the whole concept invalid. And I say if anybody's going to nitpick a person's speech or signing just to be hurtful, or because they're ignorant...SCREW 'EM. ;) At least for me, I don't care about perfection and I'm willing to put in the time to understand where it's not readily apparent (and I catch on fast). I mean, if I were rude to everyone who mispronounced, I'd have to hate myself.

Being hearing doesn't mean you don't mangle a word every so often, some of us more so than others. Love him or hate him, our president is a perfect example. (PLEASE don't turn this thread political or insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

deafdyke said:
On the other hand, is the auditory verbal approach really backed up by solid research? I mean even HEARIES speechread......LOL, especially if they are around a dhh person. So many of my hearing friends picked up speechreading from me......we could have "spoken" conversations without making a sound!
Well from my experience, I've met other dhh kids using this approach who were implanted early and to be honest i was quite amazed at the results. These kids have been in therapy for about 5 years or so and i was quite impressed. Dhh kids are going to lipread no matter what, the AV approach just helps them to listen first when they are not able to lipread like for example: telephone, or if someone is not faceing them.

Btw, i 'm not and never would be against sign. Even though my daughter is in AV theraphy we are still going to learn sign.

I've met other dhh kids using this approach who were implanted early and to be honest i was quite amazed at the results.
Yeah, but how much of it is due to the methodology vs. parental affluence/ hyperinvolvement? It's hard to say.
Oh, and kayla123, that does rock that you're open to Sign. I really like your mindset! However, it does seem like there are a lot of AV parents who are rather closed minded about Sign. Some are openminded about Sign, and I think that rocks, but there are too many parents out there who are anti Sign.

Rose Immortal said:
And I say if anybody's going to nitpick a person's speech or signing just to be hurtful, or because they're ignorant...SCREW 'EM. ;) At least for me, I don't care about perfection and I'm willing to put in the time to understand where it's not readily apparent (and I catch on fast). I mean, if I were rude to everyone who mispronounced, I'd have to hate myself.

Being hearing doesn't mean you don't mangle a word every so often, some of us more so than others. Love him or hate him, our president is a perfect example. (PLEASE don't turn this thread political or insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I hear you and in a perfect world...make it so.

Unfortunately, we are not talking about a couple of mispronounced words but often a rather "way" of speech that brings up questions (whether right or wrong) in the mind of the listener. The almost automatically takes the listener totally offtrack from focusing on communication and into issues of judgement. I agree this shouldn't be so but it is the reality and the way most people operate. Most people don't have the patience or time to stop and think what is going on here to adjust to the situation. I have done it myself in other circumstances. Everybody has got to decide in "split second" time whether to spend the time or not and deal with something different. I think a great part of it is the "rat race" mentality of the day we live.

I think I just find it hard to get my head around that, in most circumstances; that's not the way I was brought up. I would be lying if I said I never make judgments based on how a person (of any kind) talks, but I wouldn't call it a terribly frequent response.

loml said:
A profoundly deaf children can/does have invisible sounds cleared up via Cued English/Cued Speech.

Cued speech only alerts that a sound is present. It still does not make the position of the anatomy used for articulation visable. Without that, the deaf child still has no indication of how to correctly reproduce the sound.

Back