Can someone please explain CIs to me?

uh...this sure got off topic, i have no idea what most of these posts are talking about lol but I would guess the Nucleus 5 is a good choice.

OK , i have more questions!
1) How long does the battery life of CI last, on average?
2) So, there are no fully/semi implantable CIs for my range? In that case, should I just stick to my hearing aids?
3) What benefit would a CI have on me? I only hear of benefits CIs have on children who were born deaf....I learned to talk when I had hearing so like is there any kind of impact? Would I be able to go through a conversation without having to look at someone/ask them to repeat themselves?
4) Have any of you guys tried learning another language with a CI? Have you been successful?

1- Rechargeable - 12 hours. Disposable - 20-30 hours.

2- Dunno, but there are several things being researched.

3- Only your ENT doctor & audi can make a medical decision on whether a CI will benefit you or not. Since you 'were' hearing, I assume you are a fully-grown adult, your success with a CI is much higher than those that have been deaf most of their lives. Hearing results vary among individuals. Some CI users have awesome hearing, others still struggle. And, Oh yes, you will be asking people to repeat themselves for the rest of your life, since you are not 100% hearing. When you take your CI off, you are deaf, period.

4- Learning a new language is an individual thing. It might be easy for you if you have very good hearing with the CI. For someone like me, it will be very difficult since I've depended on lipreading for the first 35 years, and will have to learn how to read lips in another language. Learning another language on paper is easier than verbally.

Buena suerte con tu decisión. Háganos saber el resultado. No permita que las disputas entre PFH y Drphil llegar a usted. Ambos son más difíciles que el promedio de burro.

2) So, there are no fully/semi implantable CIs for my range? In that case, should I just stick to my hearing aids?

2) Why you asked? Like some of the others said, usually if you have either long or even just medium length hair and that the processor also matches the hair color, it could cover it pretty good.

Some of the other questions are what is your hearing loss range? Is it profound? severe? Are you able to currently use the phone with just your hearing aid? Are you currently contented with your communication skills? Like some of the others have said, if you'd like to explore this further you need to see your doctor or audi to determine if you'd be a candidate and so forth.

how long the battery lasts will depend on whether it's rechargeable or disposable, and also on what sort of programming/MAPping one has on their CI processor. Some programs/MAPs takes up more power than others.

Buena suerte con tu decisión. Háganos saber el resultado. No permita que las disputas entre PFH y Drphil llegar a usted. Ambos son más difíciles que el promedio de burro.

Just letting you know - while I can see that you have something for me - I wanted to clarify: I never once spoke to drphil in this thread. :)

pfh: That was good news indeed however now over.
Are you part of Mrs Buckett's group who apparently disbelieve ANYTHING i KEY?

"uncheers"?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back