Can someone please explain CIs to me?

Bottom line, we don't want anyone to advertise here about a forum or a brand, end of story, we did not join this forum to get some people asking us to join some chat on some other forum, why is this guy is so busy telling us about the chat for AB!!!, they have NO IMPLANT, their implant is off the market and is been recalled for unlimited period, so what are we going to chat there about??, waiting for them to come back??
we have a great forum here, we are happy here, we do not want advertisers for any brand, as you see, I don't like advertiser, don't get offended you should be happy
why are you getting Cochlear then if you say you were happy with AB!!, did you say your processor was malfunctioned twice ?? and you still happy, of course they will offer you great customer service, what else they can offer you, more recalls??, imagine them giving you some faultily piece in your head and not given you great customer service, lol
what you need is: great & reliable piece in your head not the stupid customer service.

Dude caaaaalm! You are really really hating on AB. They're just another company that offers implants. They are really trying to get their implants back on market as soon as possible. Theyre losing revenue rather than making revenue income. Why not advertise cochlear, shall we?

I am getting cochlear because its the fast option to hear again, but also because my implants on my right broke two times which were from AB. Hoping that cochlear will last another 20 years.
But I am upset that AB product broke. But you cant expect implants to live for a life time, they are going to break eventually.
Why am I happy with AB? Because they served my 14 years with great services, they gave me hearing, that all matter.

I was deaf for almost 20 years and got a Nucleus 5 last year. I'm listening to music and talking on the phone all the time now. I usually do it by hooking the personal listening cable to my iPhone and listen through iPod.

As far as I know the Nucleus 5 is the most water resistant to date. But you won't be able to go swimming and you shouldn't get any of them wet. Water resistant doesn't mean water proof and electronics and water don't mix. I know some have come up with ways to go swimming with the CI but I don't think it's wise to gamble with something so expensive. Basically if you're out and it's raining or it gets a little wet it should be fine. But that's about as far as I'd personally risk with mine.

Hair style. I wouldn't worry about that in the least. I mean mine matches the color of my hair pretty good and my hair does cover mine pretty well, but that's not intentional. In fact I'd rather flaunt mine then to hide it. Still, there are some "fashion" things you can do with them if that's the kind of thing you're into. They come with colored shells that you can change the color of them (Nucleus 5).

As far as range. No way we can answer that here. That's something you'll have to discuss with your Audi.

So I'll just say that I have the Nucleus 5 and I'm very happy with it.

Ron Jaxon
Did you get the Nucleus 5 as a result of an upgrade? Or was it just your first CI overall?

I'll stick my two cents in here and say I agree with RonJ all the way. Nucleus 5 do say that you can go swimming but not diving and if you accidentally drop it in the pool, get it out and dry it off and keep on using? Also say you can get in shower but not to let water stream directly on processor. I personally have not tried either one and also that is only true with the re-chargeable batteries. I chose Nucleus 5 because they are or have been in business the longest, seem to have a good track record and I'm told but not sure it's true or that I even believe it but they clam to spend more on research than the other two put together? I'm currently a subject for research at a local university. I have had the Nucleus 5 for just about a year and getting another one on other side very shortly. Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I use phone but do use T coil. I also have a neck loop and listen to music and what ever with that and blue tooth. I'm listening to music as I type. I'm extremely happy with mine and have been VERY lucky as I had almost no pain with surgery and if tomorrow goes like first side it will be a piece of cake. Only aftereffect I can say I had was it did make my taste of food more metallic for a month or so but gradually went away and sure nothing I would complain about. Do a lot of research and realize that we are all different and some of us are lucky and some not so lucky. I met one fellow that it was a total failure and of coarse that was just before I was to get my first one. Did make me think but I was and am going to continue to take the so called risk and hope I continue to be somewhat lucky.

I'll stick my two cents in here and say I agree with RonJ all the way. Nucleus 5 do say that you can go swimming but not diving and if you accidentally drop it in the pool, get it out and dry it off and keep on using? Also say you can get in shower but not to let water stream directly on processor. I personally have not tried either one and also that is only true with the re-chargeable batteries. I chose Nucleus 5 because they are or have been in business the longest, seem to have a good track record and I'm told but not sure it's true or that I even believe it but they clam to spend more on research than the other two put together? I'm currently a subject for research at a local university. I have had the Nucleus 5 for just about a year and getting another one on other side very shortly. Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I use phone but do use T coil. I also have a neck loop and listen to music and what ever with that and blue tooth. I'm listening to music as I type. I'm extremely happy with mine and have been VERY lucky as I had almost no pain with surgery and if tomorrow goes like first side it will be a piece of cake. Only aftereffect I can say I had was it did make my taste of food more metallic for a month or so but gradually went away and sure nothing I would complain about. Do a lot of research and realize that we are all different and some of us are lucky and some not so lucky. I met one fellow that it was a total failure and of coarse that was just before I was to get my first one. Did make me think but I was and am going to continue to take the so called risk and hope I continue to be somewhat lucky.

All in all, Dont even go swimming with any processor. They arent made so you can hear all the time. It is MORE water resistant than other processors and it's compeditiors.
Always If i ever get my processors wet (from rain, snow, or accident drops) I just remove the battery and try to get it dry as possible. Wearing it wet will increase chances of frying the "motherboard" in the processor. But getting it wet without electricy going though the "motherboard" and letting it dry up in 12-24 hours is not a issue (in most of my cases).
Its somewhat like washing the car and addicently put water into the brakes, let it dry before use or you will ruin the break pads.

edit: Forgot to wish you luck!
My surgy 2 years ago, I also had the taste of metal in my food for a few weeks but it went away too.

bballboy - im having a hard time undertsanding this...

The left side still works?

Yes my left still works but my hearing on that side has never really got better, it still is unbearable to hearing anything. Its just overall really really hard to hear on my left for some reason.

PFH: another instance of your "crocodile tears" concern?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-=Harmony activated Aug/07

It was fine. I thought it was a funny reply. I am trying to return my Harmony that I only got a few weeks ago for my right.

PFH: another instance of your "crocodile tears" concern?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-=Harmony activated Aug/07

Just because he isn't concerned about you doesn't mean he isn't empathetic to others. You have driven people away with your criticism of things you know nothing about and your nonsense posts. If people don't emapthize with you, you need to look in the mirror to see what is responsible for that lack of empathy.

Just because he isn't concerned about you doesn't mean he isn't empathetic to others. You have driven people away with your criticism of things you know nothing about and your nonsense posts. If people don't emapthize with you, you need to look in the mirror to see what is responsible for that lack of empathy.

this post just made my day:)
:gpost:

Do you notice the question mark at the end? Just asking.

In my mind questions aren't assertions!

As for my "alleged" hatred of PFH- we have never met. How much he actually believes in what has keyed-not my problem to determine what is "real". Whether he disagrees with ANYTHING iI HAVE KEYED-so what!

Supposedly this forum is discussions re deaf/Deaf/hearing aids/Cochlear Implants from one's personal experience :wave:-correct?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
uh...this sure got off topic, i have no idea what most of these posts are talking about lol but I would guess the Nucleus 5 is a good choice.

OK , i have more questions!
1) How long does the battery life of CI last, on average?
2) So, there are no fully/semi implantable CIs for my range? In that case, should I just stick to my hearing aids?
3) What benefit would a CI have on me? I only hear of benefits CIs have on children who were born deaf....I learned to talk when I had hearing so like is there any kind of impact? Would I be able to go through a conversation without having to look at someone/ask them to repeat themselves?
4) Have any of you guys tried learning another language with a CI? Have you been successful?

!) length of time -batteries- So far I still have the original 4 rechargeable batteries- 3 1/2 years.

2) The reason you "require an Implant" is that your Hearing aid is of no assistance to you-hearing wise. Your actual "hearing lost" determines which is most suitable for you. There is a substantial difference cost wise due to the operation! All of this must be discussed with the ENT doctor-whether you are in fact suitable for an Implant. Not everybody is! Here in Toronto at the Implant section-Sunnybrook the rejection rate over the last 18 years was 60% with 850 implanted. Fortunately I was one of 850. This information was passed last year at a Cochlear Implant patients meeting.

3) If the Cochlear Implant works for you-hearing. You can still talk all you want with an implant. You will always have to pay attention to any speaker. You will remain deaf-for the rest of your life. A COCHLEAR IMPLANT DOESN'T CURE DEAFNESS.

4)Learning another language? up to you.

Last edited:
The rechargeable battery lasts usually all day till late evening. Excluding the hour involved in my swimming. One can carry a spare with you all the time or if one is going out in the evening switch to a "fresh" one and no problem running out early.They are recharged overnight. There is always 3 fully recharged.

Your discussion with the audi/ENT doctor should answer all questions that you have.

:wave:

Last edited:
uh...this sure got off topic, i have no idea what most of these posts are talking about lol but I would guess the Nucleus 5 is a good choice.

2) So, there are no fully/semi implantable CIs for my range? In that case, should I just stick to my hearing aids?
3) What benefit would a CI have on me? I only hear of benefits CIs have on children who were born deaf....I learned to talk when I had hearing so like is there any kind of impact? Would I be able to go through a conversation without having to look at someone/ask them to repeat themselves?
4) Have any of you guys tried learning another language with a CI? Have you been successful?

1. If you mean every day use I believe with disposables it's not as long but I know some people who use their rechargeable batteries for about a full day-a day and a half of usage which is pretty good..this is with the N5..dunno bout med-el or AB. Not sure about how long rechargeables last for I would guess at least 2 years but not sure.

2.there are no fully implantable CI's period right now..at least not that I'm aware of...If your hearing aids are no longer benefiting you then I would look into stronger more powerful ha's (trial them first) and if that doesn't work then look into CI.

3. Actually you have a good chance of doing well with a CI since you know what things sound like already since you were once hearing then you have language, speech, and environmental sound knowledge that will aid you in adjusting to what you hear with the CI since you most likely will know what the sound is vs someone who hasn't ever heard the sound and doesn't know what is making the sound.
Example leaves blowing in the wind...a friend of mine heard that after getting a CI and was amazed that wind made noise lol Everyone is different and you may or may not have to lipread while wearing a CI.
I know some people who do lipread here and there still but not heavy lipreading (they don't solely rely on lipreading) and I know some people who don't need to lipread at all.

4. I dunno about learning another language with a CI...i don't have one as of yet myself, but I would say if you are doing well and after a couple months of MAPs then I'm sure you could start trying to pick up a new language. Keep in mind though it's not easy for even hearing people to pick up 2nd or 3rd languages so don't get discouraged if you have a tough time with learning a 2nd language.
You could always learn ASL:) You don't need hearing for that;)
:ty:
hope that reply was ok and that it helped a bit!

I can't speak to what kind of benefit you might get with a CI, each person is so very different, and all of the available CIs are excellent options to choose between. Deciding whether or not to get a CI is the tough part.

1. my daughter gets about 12-14 hours of battery life with her N5 rechargeables (we charge each night), 2 days with disposables -- she wears her CIs most of her waking hours, leaving them on but pulling the coil off her head when she naps, so she puts a lot of mileage on them. Which programs you use will have a significant effect on your battery usage (her music program takes more battery power). Our previous Freedom rechargeable batteries lasted for 3 years (and are still going strong).

2. In the US, there are no FDA-approved fully implantable CIs currently on the market, there are some in early stages of trials/development, but availability is not yet projected, as far as I've heard. If your HAs already provide the level of sound you want, why pursue a surgical option? CIs and HAs aren't interchangeable, most people don't and can't pursue getting a CI unless HAs don't provide access to speech sounds.

3. Your best bet is to talk with your ENT / CI clinic about the possible outcomes and realistic expectations. With 2 CIs on, my daughter easily responds when I speak to her from a room away even when she's facing the other way, and in a crowded restaurant. She has no trouble with conversations, hearing and speaking on the phone, but not everyone finds that to be the case, and . With 1 CI on, we often have to repeat, especially if we're facing a different direction or at a distance or in very loud environments. Visit the various CI forums and see what others with similar hearing loss and length of time without hearing, etc. say about their CI experience. Your surgeon can put you in touch with others, as well.

4. She was born deaf, her first language was ASL. After receiving her CIs, she has become fluent in a second language, English, and she has incidentally picked up words, songs, and basic phrases in a couple of other languages from friends and TV shows (Spanish, French, Mandarin). I've met several people with CIs who have learned multiple languages, and have encountered one 8 year old with a CI who was pre-lingually deaf and speaks 4 different languages fluently. But I think this sort of success is a product of the immersion environment and an individual's ability to learn languages, rather than a CI feature :) .

Back